Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: no edit button and thread search does not work

  1. #1

    no edit button and thread search does not work

    I need help with two issues.


    ISSUE 1
    I do not have an edit button but the bottom of the page says that I can edit posts. Have I inadvertantly turned it off or something. Help! Oh except I just noticed I do have an edit button in this location on the forum!

    ISSUE 2
    My thread search does not seem to function correctly, It searches the forum instead of the thread.

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by steel
    I need help with two issues.


    ISSUE 1
    I do not have an edit button but the bottom of the page says that I can edit posts. Have I inadvertantly turned it off or something. Help! Oh except I just noticed I do have an edit button in this location on the forum!

    ISSUE 2
    My thread search does not seem to function correctly, It searches the forum instead of the thread.
    I can't help you with issue 2 but issue 1 has a simple answer: you are only allowed to edit a post for a limited period of time after posting it. After that, your edit button disappears.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    ...you are only allowed to edit a post for a limited period of time after posting it...
    How much time is ^^that?
    .

  4. #4
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    How much time is ^^that?
    .
    About 60 minutes. We'd prefer it to be longer but it's something we needed to do so Spam, Inc, doesn't soil the place up with come-ons for free* cell phones.

    *Yeah, right.

    Quote Originally posted by steel
    ISSUE 2
    My thread search does not seem to function correctly, It searches the forum instead of the thread.
    There are search buttons very near each other -- one for the forums and one for the thread you are viewing -- be sure you are clicking on the correct search button.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

  5. #5
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    About 60 minutes. We'd prefer it to be longer but it's something we needed to do so Spam, Inc, doesn't soil the place up with come-ons for free* cell phones.

    *Yeah, right.
    Sixty minutes is ample time for editing, even for a slowpoke like me. Thanks for answering.

  6. #6
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,573
    Blog entries
    3
    One message board I frequent used to have no edit window, and that's the way the old-timers liked it that way. "That's what the preview button is for!" They were afraid someone would post an incendiary message, get flamed, and then change the post after the fact. Recently, after a lot of pressure from "new users" -- those that registered after 1999 -- they reluctantly adopted an edit window consisting of a whopping five minutes.

    In our opinion, an hour allows enough time to catch any typos or errors, and make any critical additions to a post. A shorter edit window is one of Cyburbia's many spam prevention features; much of the spam on message boards is caused by bots that post one or two innocent-appearing messages, and then come back a several days or so later and edit it long after anyone can catch it. We never had the problem with someone altering a controversial message after the fact, but a one hour edit window shouldn't cause problems if the issue does come up. I recommend "quoting for truth" if someone posts something that is truly egregious, you want to call them on it, and you fear they might edit the offending post; regular users can't edit your post.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  7. #7
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,846

    (Slightly O/T, but probably doesn't warrant a thread of its own.)

    How important is it to type the reason for editing? (With me, at least, it's usually cosmetic.)

  8. #8
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,573
    Blog entries
    3
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    How important is it to type the reason for editing? (With me, at least, it's usually cosmetic.)
    You don't have to include a reason for editing, but it's there if you want to.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. PDF edit
    Information Technology
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 21 Apr 2010, 11:09 PM
  2. The Easy Button
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 09 May 2006, 2:16 PM
  3. Lack of Edit Avatar Button
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Mar 2006, 2:36 PM
  4. Control Panel; Edit Options
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Feb 2003, 1:44 PM