Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Road Trips/Day Trips (AIB BUN's Summer Vacation 2005)

Registered
    Dec 2004

Road Trips/Day Trips (AIB BUN's Summer Vacation 2005)

Spring is here at last! (At least I hope..) And not unlike the spring flora, my Wanderlust is blossoming as well. I am itching to get out of town and explore...but on my budget and time constraints (limited to weekends) I can't really take a full-fledged vacation. I've begun thinking about my quick-trip possibilities: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Syracuse, Toronto, and all the little towns in between. These cities are all within a few hours' drive, and have a decent mix of attractions, history, neighborhoods, food(!!!) and shopping.

I love just hopping in the car and winding up somewhere new, but I usually do some planning before hand, so that my time isn't wasted looking for something to do...but the random "Shakespeare In the Park" or the like has been known to cause a divergence from the plan. Researching the destination and drawing up an itinerary is kind of fun... in a nerdy way.

Do any of you make weekend jaunts just to get out of the house?
    Where do you travel? What kind of activities do you seek out? Do you plan the weekend or just take it easy? Any road tripping tips?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My son and I like weekend trips more than long ones. The current plan in the works is to take a long weekend in May and go to Vidalia GA (it's onion season!) and then over to Warner Robins to the aviation museum. For a trip like this I'll not make hotel reservations, and just see where we end up each day. Last trip was to Jekyll Island GA.

We don't do many day trips except for going to the beach.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Usually I like to take longer trips, but this year we may be limited to shorter day/weekend trips due to budget and employment constraints. I think we'll got to Ottawa and maybe Montreal this year. I'd like to do a swing through upstate New York and New England, but that would be a longer trip.

Clare2582, if you do come to Toronto I'm sure Donk and I could arrange for a "mini-laefest". Check your PMs. plannerbabs can testify about our hosting skills

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I go to my family's condo every weekend of hte summer...its at the Lake of the Ozarks...the boys love it and its liek a vacation every weekend...I also head up to Chicago a few times a year to visit friends. I love to get in the car and drive.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Most are in-state road trips.
    Recently drove to Lovers Key State Park and really enjoyed it -- definitely worth the 2 hour trip!

Especially after all of the crowed beaches here (Spring Break/snow birds) -- it was quiet and beautiful and well-preserved. And the shelling was WICKED!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We dont get many over night trips, save that for big trips but we do take the motorcycle out for day trips. Yesterday was so very very nice on the back of the bike.

Oh and Chet I got to wear my T shirt and it ticked off the Harley owners that Id dare to don it while on the back of a Honda. hehe
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2003
    My wife and I will do day trips all of the time in the spring and summer. We'll picnic in Rock Creek Park in DC or Grant's Landing? (maybe PlannerGirl knows the actual name of this place.) which is a park off of the GW Parkway adjacent to a National Airport runway. 747s are literally flying over your head. We'll go to Philly to see her best friend from college. We'll go to NYC on Greyhound ($35RT from Baltimore) for the day as well if we can't afford to stay overnight. It's way cheaper than Amtrak and someone else does the driving after spending all day on your feet. I love road trips.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I definitely get the urge to wander. This week I will be way over on the eastern part of the state, within spitting distance of Kansas. As long as the GF is out of town, I am taking off from there to go to New Mexico, then drive around southern Colorado where I am thinking of buying some property to develop.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've got a Parks Pass that lets me into all of the Texas State Parks. I go hit one about every other weekend since I've got about 20 state parks close enough to qualify as "day-trippers".

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2003

Vegas, baby

Next month, we're loading up into a fam. into a (rented) mini-van and heading south to Vegas to visit some family. We'll parallel the Cascades and Sierra the whole way. Wonder if the kids (3 year old and 2 month old) will enjoy the scenery as much as I....... Eugene, Ashland, Mt. Shasta, Lake Tahoe, Death Valley, and Zion, (plus, Elvis ) here we come!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We have also wanted to get out and do day trips around the province. Unfortunately, our plans to see all the 'world's biggest' things in northern Alberta were dashed last summer with the big storm. I think this summer will also be a wash, although we are making progress on the basement lately.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    My hubby and I just moved into our first home, so our weekends are busy getting the house ready for family visits later this spring and summer. But I am itching to get out of town, even for just a day. Toronto and Chicago are on my mind - mainly for the shopping But there is so much of Michigan that we haven't seen: the dunes, Holland (tulips are my fav), and the entire UP (although that is certainly more than a day trip). But Urbanchik likes the city - the energy, culture, sights and sounds. So does my man. So we will probably head out to Toronto for a long day. It is such a fabulous city.....
    urbanchik

Registered
    Mar 2004

I Want

I still want to get over to Keys and maybe Freeport sometime......
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I tend to prefer daytrips to "real vacations". Traveling is hard on me. Daytrips are a good compromise -- let me come home and sleep in my own bed. As a military family, we always made a list of stuff we wanted to see in the area before we moved again and made a point of doing it a little at a time. We usually didn't get through the whole list but we generally did more than the people who would suddenly realize they might never be here again about the time they got orders and, gee, want to see it all before they left. We haven't done much of that here, because I was just so sick the whole time. But I really enjoyed going to San Francisco for the weekend for part of the APA conference. And we did go to Muir Woods last fall. I still want to see, oh, a BUNCH of other stuff in the Bay Area. I expect to be here a while, so I imagine I will slowly get around to doing some of that.

Funny how so many people only find "touristy" stuff interesting if it is a thousand miles away, while not bothering to check out the museums and the like nearby. Those just never seem to "count" in the minds of many people. So sad, really.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear still planning on a trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in late July or early August. Of course, everything is contingent on health issues and possible future "stuff" related to same.

Gonna drive over to Cleveland (far eastern suburbs) in a couple weeks, to see my older brother. Probably stop into Brennan's Fish House in Grand River while we are there.

First trip for me since the bone marrow transplant.

As the weather warms, I hope to feel good enough to hook the bass boat up to the truck and drive up to Michigan's Irish Hills for some fishing. About an hour and a half away. Not sure if Katie will go with me.....I do "crack of dawn" starts and she likes to sleep in.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Usually I like to take longer trips, but this year we may be limited to shorter day/weekend trips due to budget and employment constraints. I think we'll got to Ottawa and maybe Montreal this year. I'd like to do a swing through upstate New York and New England, but that would be a longer trip.

Clare2582, if you do come to Toronto I'm sure Donk and I could arrange for a "mini-laefest". Check your PMs. plannerbabs can testify about our hosting skills
    I'm sure Cardinal, Dan and JNL also enjoyed out tour guide skills.

If any of you are planning a trip to TO, let me know what you are interested in and want to see and I'll be more than happy to provide suggestions and possibly act as a guide.(time permitting)

I prefer long weekends and day trips to full on vacations. Good thing, I don't get any time off for 6 months at this new job.

Fav places in southern Ontario to visit for a day - Creemore, Mansfield, Milton/Rattlesnake Point, hell even the Bruce Peninsula would not be a bad spot to visit
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally posted by clare2582
    Do any of you make weekend jaunts just to get out of the house?
    Where do you travel? What kind of activities do you seek out? Do you plan the weekend or just take it easy? Any road tripping tips?

Oh yes, this is one of my main forms of recreation!

Usually these are just afternoon drives, not really weekend overnight trips (tho ive taken those, too)....

Someties they are planned sometimes not. Destinations are either a town, series of places, or natural feature, sometimes a bookstore or food store or restraunt...usually not much of shopping trips, though.

I tend to like historical or heritage tourism, so there is usually some historic content to the trip, or the goal has some nice collection of old buildings or townscapes....

My big aid in this has been the WPA Guides..the Ohio and Indiana Guide, supplemented by more recent guidbooks. The WPA Guides, tho dated, as very detailed and of interest from a historical standpoint....

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Thank goodness, I'm not the only one with this liking for road trips and weekend trips. Although I cannot say I've gone on weekend trips, I do like road trips. I've not done very many of them. It's kinda hard to do them if I don't have a car.

Anyways, I cannot wait until I stop schooling, get a job, and get a car so that I just throw in a small luggage of clothings into my car and dash off for a weekend road trip.

I have a list of routes that I want to go onto. Some are well-known, such as Highway #1 along the Western coast of United States, and others are obscure, such as travelling the entire Yonge Street from downtown Toronto to the Minnesota/Ontario border.

*sigh* only a few more years of waiting before I can take up this hobby!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Mission Trips
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 18 Jan 2012, 1:12 PM
  2. Real Old School Road Trips?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Mar 2006, 4:28 PM
  3. Crazy Weekend Road Trips
    Friday Afternoon Club