Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why New York is going to hell

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Why New York is going to hell

Click here
    I would not be shocked it if was in Kentucky (sorry Kentucky planners) but New York???

I wonder if at the end they were asked if they would like to supersize their order.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2004

whoops...

I clicked the link, and it was a story about people getting married at wal-mart!
    Last edited by clare2582; 11 Apr 2005 at 9:00 AM. Reason: NEVERMIND! Its monday morning....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Gotta envy that reasoning...."what better place to get married. I can shop when I'm done."
    I forsee a huge multi-use convenience industry emerging - we're going to start to see more development applications for places like bicycle repair/bowling alleys (I can bowl a few frames while my bike gets fixed....) or tax prep/adult bookstore (I can sit in the quarter peep booth while my accountant does my taxes...) or a blacksmith/hair salon (the perm can set while I'm busy shoeing my horse....)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Is this unusual for New York? It's not that uncommon down here...

Registered
    May 2003

No Doubt About Where The Gift Registry's At....

I think this is manifestation of WM's market strategy for "total life cycle control." Next stop, WM's travel service for the honeymoon excursion. When the marriage enters troubled waters (as they all do) I'm sure the WM equivalent to Dr. Laura will advise, "Well, you could always go shopping."

Registered
    May 2003
    Notice that the marriage was held there because none of the employees were allowed time off to go to the wedding.

Remember that '80s sci fi where everyone lived inside giant mall-like places and "outside" was some mythical place? I wonder how long until we're living our entire lives in giant Wal-Marts.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Remember that '80s sci fi where everyone lived inside giant mall-like places and "outside" was some mythical place? I wonder how long until we're living our entire lives in giant Wal-Marts.
    Sounds like a version of the "Truman Show".
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Notice that the marriage was held there because none of the employees were allowed time off to go to the wedding.

That's really quite frightening. What movie? I want to see..

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Miles Ignatius
    I think this is manifestation of WM's market strategy for "total life cycle control." Next stop, WM's travel service for the honeymoon excursion. When the marriage enters troubled waters (as they all do) I'm sure the WM equivalent to Dr. Laura will advise, "Well, you could always go shopping."
    You know, Sam's Club does have a travel agency. I know this because my honeymoon is booked through them. (please don't hate me )

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Thinking about it more I believe that jordanb was refering to the classic:
    A Boy and His Dog (1975)
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0072730/

From Roger Ebert review:
    "A half-mile below, domed cities preserve -- or should I say embalm -- a ghastly parody of middle-class life.
    ...a truly horrible place that looks like a cross between a Norman Rockwell small town and a circus sideshow. "
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Thinking about it more I believe that jordanb was refering to the classic:
    A Boy and His Dog (1975)
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0072730/

From Roger Ebert review:
    "A half-mile below, domed cities preserve -- or should I say embalm -- a ghastly parody of middle-class life.
    ...a truly horrible place that looks like a cross between a Norman Rockwell small town and a circus sideshow. "

Or was it Logan's Run?

Logan's Run (1976)
    Logan, a Sandman (police assassin), is forced to search for "Sanctuary" - a place to which people have apparently escaped from the sealed city of the future in which he lives. Jessica is caught up along the way and becomes his companion fugitive as they are both pursued by Francis, a fellow Sandman. Sanctuary is not what they expect
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2003
    I believe Logan's Run is it, as it sounds familar. But Websense doesn't want to let me look at any reviews so I can't say for sure.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    You know, Sam's Club does have a travel agency. I know this because my honeymoon is booked through them. (please don't hate me )
    ...No, absolutely not. And have a splendid one! But if I hear that you've got pre-planned funeral arrangements lined up through WM, I'll be a might concerned for your well being....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Or was it Logan's Run?

Logan's Run (1976)
    Logan, a Sandman (police assassin), is forced to search for "Sanctuary" - a place to which people have apparently escaped from the sealed city of the future in which he lives. Jessica is caught up along the way and becomes his companion fugitive as they are both pursued by Francis, a fellow Sandman. Sanctuary is not what they expect
    Uck. The book was MUCH better than that. The movie really sucked, in my opinion. I don't think I watched much of it. It sucked too badly.

But there was an episode of that..um...dimension jumping show where they go someplace where folks owe so much on credit cards that they live and work at the mall, which basically owns them like slaves.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    But there was an episode of that..um...dimension jumping show where they go someplace where folks owe so much on credit cards that they live and work at the mall, which basically owns them like slaves.
    Sliders...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Sliders...
    Yes! That's it.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ha!!

Be serious, there should be a rule against this type of thread.....I mean really, there are FAR TOO MANY reasons NEW YORK will be going to hell to pretend to be able to list here in this forum....regardless of the terabytes available to DAN
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Ack! This walmart is in my town! I totally missed this piece of "news".

This was the last wal-mart I've been, 2 years ago (although we still frequent Sam's Club for the amazing deals on dog food and paper towels. ), but it is so horribly organized, and the workers are so unbelievably rude and the rest room facilities were atrocious. I'd rather get married at the Juice Bar down the street. At least their ladies' room would (presumably) be nicer.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Greetings from New York!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Jan 2013, 9:13 AM
  2. Greetings from New York!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Jan 2010, 2:48 PM
  3. Replies: 40
    Last post: 18 Sep 2005, 1:07 AM