Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bachelors Next Meal

Registered
    Feb 2000

Bachelors Next Meal

Life is great as a bachelor who is also a community involved department head of a City department. I rarely have to cook for myself. This week is typical.

Monday free luncheon/community roundtable at the School District Office;
    Tuesday $1 steak night at the club;
    Wednesday night all the munchies (yes munchies are a meal) I can stand at Bridge Club (Every Wednesday);
    Thursday free meals-on-wheels lunch for delivering (I do this every Thursday);
    Friday free lunch at the Country Club for Rotary (Every Friday lunch).

All my other meals consist of Nachos, chili dogs, ramen, clam chowder and beer.

Other bachelor foods? Please share.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Sep 1999
    What about us bachelorettes?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    What about us bachelorettes?
    I eat things like grilled veggies and steak or grilled veggies and saffron rice, homemade pizza, and lots of things that go in a toaster.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I eat things like grilled veggies and steak or grilled veggies and saffron rice, homemade pizza, and lots of things that go in a toaster.
    Here's an easy one (even for a guy): brown a pound of hamburger, dump in a jar of salsa and let simmer for a few minutes. roll a couple spoonfuls into a flour tortilla, sprinkle shredded cheese on top, and microwave for about a minute. top with sour cream. freeze the rest for another night.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here's an easy one (even for a guy): brown a pound of hamburger, dump in a jar of salsa and let simmer for a few minutes. roll a couple spoonfuls into a flour tortilla, sprinkle shredded cheese on top, and microwave for about a minute. top with sour cream. freeze the rest for another night.
    There's a very similar item on the menu at Chateau líJakes. You been here before?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yummy.....

I've recently re-discovered my fondness of sweet snow peas......TASTY indeed.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Sounds alot like "hamburger Surprise", less the dairy

Hamburger
    Frozen Peas
    Frozen Corn
    Ketchup
    Curry
    Chilli Powder
    Pickles
    Anything else that goes with hamburger

Mashed potatos

My old secretary always made sure to order extra sandwiches and soup whenever we had meetings for me to take home.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Sounds alot like "hamburger Surprise", less the dairy

Hamburger
    Frozen Peas
    Frozen Corn
    Ketchup
    Curry
    Chilli Powder
    Pickles
    Anything else that goes with hamburger

Mashed potatos

hamburger
    red pepper flakes
    tabasco
    worcestershire
    chili powder
    mac and cheese mix
    onion
    green pepper

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Hey, I got an unexpected free meal this evening. I was sitting outside the downtown hotel pickin' and a former Mayor and former president of the local Heritage Homes organization pulled over and told me to head my arse over to the big mansion that does tours. There is a meeting tonight. So I glide on over and the Heritage Homes groups has a brief meeting and then head to the kitchen for covered dish goodies. One of the charter members, who's husband owns the hardware store in town, decided to load a plate for me. I apologized for not bringing something, but this was a last second thing for me. Anyway, they forced me to play my banjo for my dinner.

Here's the porch I ate on this evening.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    It looks like the "Psycho" house...

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I've had quite a few free meals lately from the Salvation Army and the Red Cross. Last week at the shelter and then from Friday throught the weekend they were serving in the neighborhood. Fried chicken, Ziti w/ meat sauce, hoagies, egg & bacon sandwiches...I was eating better than I normally do. Its a really helpful thing they do when you're flooded out. If you have to stop work to make a meal or go out to eat it can really slow down your cleanup efforts.

Tonight it'll probably be back to frozen entrees. Sigh.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I don't get the opportunity for many free meals... but a coworker just asked me to accompany her to a bank opening... I was hesitant until I saw the invitation: cocktails and hors d'ouveres (sp?). YES!

Many of my meals consist of throwing just about anything I have into a crockpot and letting that baby simmer all day while I'm at work.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Life is great as a bachelor who is also a community involved department head of a City department. I rarely have to cook for myself. This week is typical.

Monday free luncheon/community roundtable at the School District Office;
    Tuesday $1 steak night at the club;
    Wednesday night all the munchies (yes munchies are a meal) I can stand at Bridge Club (Every Wednesday);
    Thursday free meals-on-wheels lunch for delivering (I do this every Thursday);
    Friday free lunch at the Country Club for Rotary (Every Friday lunch).

All my other meals consist of Nachos, chili dogs, ramen, clam chowder and beer.

Other bachelor foods? Please share.
    I love chili dogs with cheddar and a sprinkle of onions. Even though I'm married, sometimes I still eat like a bachelor. I keep frozen pizzas, hot dogs, hamburger, lunch meat, ice cream which is a tasty breakfast treat at all times. Sunday is my day to cook though. I made chicken parmesean a couple of days ago which the Mrs. scarfed down like there was no tomorrow.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Most of my at-home meals come from the freezer! I like to cook, and I do sometimes, but I hate cleaning up a mess for one person.
    And I'm always running short on time.

My boyfriend is an excellent cook and usually makes dinner, if we don't go out.

So it's frozen pizzas and microwave pancakes and eggs and soup and toast, for the most part! (and Kraft microwave mac & cheese).

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Hey, I got an unexpected free meal this evening. I was sitting outside the downtown hotel pickin' and a former Mayor and former president of the local Heritage Homes organization pulled over and told me to head my arse over to the big mansion that does tours. There is a meeting tonight. So I glide on over and the Heritage Homes groups has a brief meeting and then head to the kitchen for covered dish goodies. One of the charter members, who's husband owns the hardware store in town, decided to load a plate for me. I apologized for not bringing something, but this was a last second thing for me. Anyway, they forced me to play my banjo for my dinner.

Thats a really nice building....
    I get lots of free meals too, not as regularly as Budgie (not sure anyone has that many regular free meals ) but there is usually several applicants each month that want to meet prior to the meeting to dicuss their project and it is usually over lunch...I also attend Economic Development lunches periodically, and the best yet was the opening of our new Convention Center, the Mayor put on a "pre- Grand Opening" for some of the leaders in the community and staff that were involved..there was sushi, chicken, chocolate fountains, martini bar, you name it, it was there...so far it was the best "free" event I have been to .

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Budgie treks over here for a meal now and again, couldn't say that they are free considering the price of gas.

Even I have picked up on a few free meals lately, I have popped in at my daughters and she has fed me a couple of times. As a twang of guilt zipped through my brain, I had to stop myself. She is married, they are both working and making plenty of money, it is her turn to feed me for goodness sake....So I got comfortable, sat back, and never offered to lift a finger just like she does at my house!!!! Ahh parenting, ain't it sweet!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    Budgie treks over here for a meal now and again, couldn't say that they are free considering the price of gas.
    True, but I always ask if I should bring anything. Speaking of which ---- what should I bring this weekend?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B

Even I have picked up on a few free meals lately, I have popped in at my daughters and she has fed me a couple of times. As a twang of guilt zipped through my brain, I had to stop myself. She is married, they are both working and making plenty of money, it is her turn to feed me for goodness sake....So I got comfortable, sat back, and never offered to lift a finger just like she does at my house!!!! Ahh parenting, ain't it sweet!
    NICE, I can't wait until the boys cook for me!!
    I forgot about the free meals at my parents house...they can usually count on seeing me a few days before payday I bring the boys over and we raid the fridge

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Thats a really nice building....

but there is usually several applicants each month that want to meet prior to the meeting to dicuss their project and it is usually over lunch...
    Yes, you need to come over and visit.

UMMMM, we've talked about this free meals with the applicant thingy before. Shame on you for taking a bribe. Or is it only a bribe if your professional opinion is influenced. BAD GIRL, now I shall spank you.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Yes, you need to come over and visit.

UMMMM, we've talked about this free meals with the applicant thingy before. Shame on you for taking a bribe. Or is it only a bribe if your professional opinion is influenced. BAD GIRL, now I shall spank you.
    echem, echem (sound of me clearing my throat), the meeting usually occurs when they are either a) trying to explain the project to me and looking for suggestions and/or b) AFTER the Staff Report has been written and they want to talk about alternatives...

getting a free vacation or car or something of that nature would be a bribe

Registered
    Oct 2000
    As a single gal, most of my homemade meals revolved around either eggs or pasta, as both are very cheap, preferring to save my money for beer.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Frozen pizza, cheese quesadillas and Taco Bell were three staples when I was single. Funny thing, I had always heard that people typically gained weight after getting married, but it seems that I have lost over ten pounds simply from cooking (yes, I make a lot of the meals too) instead of eating DiGiornoís and crappy fast food all three or four times a week. Although, I still likes me some processed fat on occasion... Just dont tell my wife.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I eat a lot of pasta. Usually add veggies to it or sometimes chicken. Usually I make enough for a couple of meals. I also like to make pizza. Haven't had a frozen one for quite awhile. I sometimes make my own dough but the supermarket sells refridgerated dough. The last one I made was mozzarella and feta with tomatoes and fresh basil. I usually eat a bagel for breakfast. Most days I skip lunch, but when I do I often have a quesidilla, tortilla with cheese and salsa.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Feb 2013, 11:54 AM
  2. Epic Meal Time - Gulty Pleasure
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Feb 2012, 4:15 PM
  3. Job with bachelors degree?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 21 Feb 2010, 12:36 AM