Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UT/Austin vs. Georgia Tech

     
    Registered
    Apr 2005

UT/Austin vs. Georgia Tech

I would appreciate any feedback on the graduate planning programs at U of Texas/Austin and at Georgia Tech. I had pretty much decided to attend Georgia Tech, but was offered a comparable assistance package by UT today. My interests are in urban design, development, and real estate.

I was also wondering what others' experiences have been with graduate research assistantships. Do they end up taking away from your studies, or do they add to the overall experience? Also, is this something employers will value?

After graduation I hope to work in the private sector and I'm curious how influential each school's degree will be throughout the country. I don't have an allegiance to any particular place, but I would like to eventually settle in the West or Southwest. Initially, I will go wherever the best opportunities emerge.

Thanks
    Last edited by johnwelsh63; 19 Apr 2005 at 10:30 PM.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I know UT has some wonderful professors, like Butler. UT has a heavy interest in Latin American planning issues, if you're looking for something kind of unique. One of my professors was taking some UT courses to freshen up on a few things and get ideas for his courses.

I don't know much about Georgia Tech other than they have an excellent engineering program. Since you're looking to the private sector, you might want to go somewhere that you will have a lot of interaction with engineers since that will help with communicating your ideas to them.

This was probably not all that useful, but I hope it helps!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2004

Tech for Great Young Minds in Planning

Quote Originally posted by johnwelsh63
    I would appreciate any feedback on the graduate planning programs at U of Texas/Austin and at Georgia Tech. I had pretty much decided to attend Georgia Tech, but was offered a comparable assistance package by UT today. My interests are in urban design, development, and real estate.

I was also wondering what others' experiences have been with graduate research assistantships. Do they end up taking away from your studies, or do they add to the overall experience? Also, is this something employers will value?

After graduation I hope to work in the private sector and I'm curious how influential each school's degree will be throughout the country. I don't have an allegiance to any particular place, but I would like to eventually settle in the West or Southwest. Initially, I will go wherever the best opportunities emerge.

Thanks
    Welsh 63,

I can't speak for UT, but I do know of the stock of incoming master's students at Tech. They are a precocious group--unmatched in intellect, looks and intramural athletic ability. They are brimming with novel, trendsetting ideas that will reshape the urban landscape of the country, and possibly, the world.

Although both programs have strong faculty and comprehensive curricula, can you really afford to miss out on this opportunity to mingle with such great minds in the making at Tech?

Really, though, I think you should just leave it up to the tarot cards and tea leaves...they never led me wrong...

     
    Registered
    Apr 2005

Indeed a Quandry

Quote Originally posted by Sherridan
    Welsh 63,

I can't speak for UT, but I do know of the stock of incoming master's students at Tech. They are a precocious group--unmatched in intellect, looks and intramural athletic ability. They are brimming with novel, trendsetting ideas that will reshape the urban landscape of the country, and possibly, the world.

Although both programs have strong faculty and comprehensive curricula, can you really afford to miss out on this opportunity to mingle with such great minds in the making at Tech?

Really, though, I think you should just leave it up to the tarot cards and tea leaves...they never led me wrong...
    I must say, knowing that Tech will only extend invitations(wink) to such individuals has made this decision even more difficult. However, being a bit older than the typical ingoing graduate student, my decision criteria is maybe slightly different. Quality of life issues are almost as important to me as the quality of the program. Georgia Tech has a better program, but I would much rather live in Austin. It's a personal thing, to be sure, but one I can not discount. Because I am strongly considering a second masters in Urban Design, wherever I go, I will be there for at least three years, so I need to be happy. But that's me.

Interesting Sherridan, I sense a certain amount of ease and contentment from your words. Is that what I will feel like once I have decided?

I have to decide by tomorrow, so if anyone out there has anything to add, please do.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by johnwelsh63
    Interesting Sherridan, I sense a certain amount of ease and contentment from your words. Is that what I will feel like once I have decided?
    You'll be floating like a butterfly, Welsh63...floating like a butterfly. More than

Good luck!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Crazy not to.....

From the sounds of it....you'd be nuts not to go to Austin Hell, even I'd live there (if forced to live in Texas ), El Paso would be my first choice for some strange and odd reason that I'm busy trying to figure out... . Atlanta is not the place for "quality" of living (but that's just me.. ..) Also, if you have kids, go to Austin
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Registered
    Mar 2005

Voltron

Quote Originally posted by Sherridan
    You'll be floating like a butterfly, Welsh63...floating like a butterfly. More than

Good luck!
    We gotta stay in touch regardless

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    From the sounds of it....you'd be nuts not to go to Austin Hell, even I'd live there (if forced to live in Texas ), El Paso would be my first choice for some strange and odd reason that I'm busy trying to figure out... . Atlanta is not the place for "quality" of living (but that's just me.. ..) Also, if you have kids, go to Austin
    lol! Austin is nothing like "Texas" if you know anything about it

Registered
    Mar 2004

Exactly....

Quote Originally posted by jread
    lol! Austin is nothing like "Texas" if you know anything about it
    This is why you should pick Austin
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Prestige of Georgia Tech