Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Summer Internships

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004

Summer Internships

Here's my dilemma: I am a Masters student at MIT, a top rated planning program and graduated from an HYP Ivy. I've been told by everyone that I have a great resume; I have had quite a bit of experience. I am searching/applying for a summer intern position at a private development firm or public big city redevelopment agency (I am interested in redevelopment and urban infill generally).

Having sent out over a dozen resumes and cover letters, I've only received 3 "callbacks" for further info or interview arrangement. Two of those were from less desirable positions with small towns whose positions I applied to out of desperation. What am I doing wrong? Why am I not getting even a callback now, when before this year, while I was an undergrad (I am only 1 year out) this same resume had people knocking down my door to hire me? Why is this happening? Its now late April - my cell phone is eerily quiet, my inbox disturbingly dormant.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Speaking from the perspective of someone currently reviewing 13 resume's for my internship position:

There's a LOT of competition. I've gotten resumes from as far away as Iowa (2), Texas (2), and even Germany, for my small town in NH.

Keep at it....one is bound to come up that works for you.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I really wish I could help you. My main reason for replying is to let you know that you are not the only one. I was in exactly that same position two years ago. I had more offers to hire than for internships and those that I spoke with wanted to hire me as an intern, but really didn't know what to do with me (I got the impression that I had too much other related work experience.) Unfortuneately, I never did get an internship. I am somewhat STILL in the same place. I've been out almost a year and still looking for employment.

It may not be a matter of doing something wrong, it may simply be that simply be that you and I seem to be between cracks. Not totally inexperienced;however, not enough experience to move up to the next level. Personally my "competition" is not the other graduates from my school or those here in the state of Texas, but the planners that are a year or two ahead of me. It's realy frustrating, at least for me, it feels as if the deck is stacked against me.

I didn't mean to give you any sort of story. I wanted to lend my support. I've been there, I am there. It's difficult and I can't wait to say it was worth it when I do get a job. Until then, you will hear a lot of "Keep At It's" (NH Planner and all of my mentors - I mean no disrespect in any way if this is taken wrongly) And you have to keep at it. Someday it WILL pay off. I wish you the best of luck.

Laters,

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Summer internships??
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Apr 2012, 12:21 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 May 2008, 7:08 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Jul 2007, 5:44 PM
  4. Summer Internships in Chicago