Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: HUD Homeownership Zone (HOZ) program: what happened?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

HUD Homeownership Zone (HOZ) program: what happened?

I was doing some research on providing affordable housing and came across a HUD program called Homeownership Zones (HOZ).

The Homeownership Zone Initiative (HOZ) allows communities to reclaim vacant and blighted properties, increase homeownership, and promote economic revitalization by creating entire neighborhoods of new, single-family homes, called Homeownership Zones. Communities are encouraged to use New Urbanist design principals by providing for a pedestrian-friendly environment, a mix of incomes and compatible uses, defined neighborhood boundaries and access to jobs and mass transit.
    Link to HOZ Program website

This is something our City would probably like to get into. Does anybody know the story on why the only two years this program received funding were 1996 and 1997? It seems like it could be a very successful program that might receive bipartisan support--homeownership is as American as apple pie, right? It's not like the houses are being given away as near as I can tell, plus it promotes housing near employment centers to reduce the burden to residents. In a world of higher gas prices, this program seems more appropriate now than ever before.

So why did this program fall of the map? It seems like this could be partnered with the HOME program similarly to how it was linked in 1997 to Economic Development Initiative (EDI) funds.

Does anyone know who I should contact to see about reviving the program?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Maybe because subsidized gentrification is more profitable. Need those loft and condos. They are soooo sexy!!!! That "Creative Class" is sooo hiiiip and cooool. Here comes my lunch---upchuck!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm....

I think it was because the home ownership levels have REALLY increased a bunch every year for the last 15 years???? Anyone have the statistics to back up my ranting.....come on, there must be one slacker out there willing to do this work for me
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Whatever happened to...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 93
    Last post: 24 May 2010, 4:52 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 10:04 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jan 2006, 11:58 AM
  4. Replies: 2