Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Town Planners are depressed

Registered
    Jul 2002

Town Planners are depressed

May I lend your ear to a small but deserving passage from "Grass Roots" by G Atherden.

Town Planners -
    "If engineers are emotional, then town planners are depressed. They are depressed because, as closet utopians, they might dream of working to shape a better world with happy, vibrant, safe, sustainable communities living and working in beautifully designed environments, and they might even put these words into Council plans with pictures of happy people in leafy streets, eating outdoors in cafes and restaurants. But town polanners know that, in the end, the big developers will be allowed to do whatever they want, and what they want will be nothing like the pictures in the town planner's plans. The sad final result will be as bad as anything anywhere else. No wonder they're depressed. No wonder some of them accept the consolation prize of taking a bribe or two."

Registered
    Feb 2004
    An unfortunate grain of truth to all that....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by BWharrie
    "If engineers are emotional, then town planners are depressed."
    That’s absurd. Everyone knows that automatons don’t have emotions.

Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    That’s absurd. Everyone knows that automatons don’t have emotions.
    You don't have to pay 'em, feed 'em and certainly not bribe 'em either.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Bribes? Where are my bribes? I have a son to put through college.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2003
    Yeah, the planning department has got to be the only department in Illinois that isn't taking bribes.

So not only are they depressed, they're also stupid.

Registered
    May 1997
    So, if I'm not depressed, does that mean I am not a planner?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    So, if I'm not depressed, does that mean I am not a planner?
    Well, I'm not depressed and I'm definitely not a planner.

Registered
    Jul 2002

depressed

"I'm bummed therefore I plan."
    or is it
    "I plan therefore I'm bummed."
    Yeah, I think that's it.
    I told one developer that my only job satisfaction comes from stopping plans like this. He wasn't amused.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    I told one developer that my only job satisfaction comes from stopping plans like this. He wasn't amused.
    Ahahah. Brilliant.

Engineeers are emotional?

My favorite engineering joke:

Q: How do you recognize an outgoing engineer?

A: He stares at your shoes when talking to you instead of his own.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    May I lend your ear to a small but deserving passage from "Grass Roots" by G Atherden.

Town Planners -
    .......as closet utopians, they might dream of working to shape a better world with happy, vibrant, safe, sustainable communities living and working in beautifully designed environments, and they might even put these words into Council plans with pictures of happy people in leafy streets, eating outdoors in cafes and restaurants............."
    It's not just developers that are reluctant to sharing your vision of utopia, its also town residents!

Beutifully designed environments......Puh-LEASE! where the only neighborhood bar is the local TGIF.

Just once I would like a town planner or developer to show a corner full of derilects hanging out by the parking garage planters hassling people for money on the street in thier renderings. Or a well planned site that says, "Hey, we can put the nudy bar in over here"!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Here's a depressing story. A town in Florida hasn't had a city planner since Feb. The city council's solution? They tell the developers to have their own planners determine if their plans are consistent with with the city's comp plan and zoning regs.

How dumb is that?

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- Well, it'll cut down on the bribe money that the developers will have to pay.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Aren't engineers depressing? I would just say we are emotional and we WOULD NEVER take a bribe. I don't like that black mark on our reps.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Bribes? Man, I got a verbal reprimand for accepting a pastrami sandwich once (they didn't find out about the round of golf, just the sandwich on the turn--go figure).

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I had lunch with an applicant today, he paid. My boss knew wherre I was going, we all know whoever asks you to lunch pays for it...it is not considered a bribe among us. We get all sorts of "perks": 20% off at shops on Main Street (thats for any city employee), lunches, free food at Grand Openings, all sorts of things...none of us consider it a bribe. All o our projects are reviewed by Boards, nothing can be done without thier approval and Staff recommendations mean absolutely NOTHING to them...it would be pointless to try to bribe ay of our staff.

Registered
    Jul 2002

The Depressed Town Planner

I am delighted in the interest in this thread.
    Please don't take the original passage from "Grass Roots" by G Atherden too seriously. It is a part of a fantastic satarical navel gazing look at Local Govenrment/Council which was also a TV Mini-Series in Australia. Most local govenment employees could enjoyably relate to most of the antics in the TV series and the Book.

So in all fairness I will transpire the following about Engineers in the Grass Roots by G Atherden (pages 141/2).
    'Engineers look after roads and gutters and bridges anddrains and traffic and Council-owned buildings and property, all the 'boy' stuff that Council does. Because engineers speak in numbers and are regarded as being rational and unemotional, they are ususally able to capture the largest part of the Council budget. But do not be deceived. Engineers are highly emotional people. They love their roads. Given a free hand, they would see Council spend less money on books and meals-on-wheels and youth centres and anything called culture and put it all into raising the quality of road surfaces to as near to airport runway standard as they can get. They would be proud of their roads. They would take photographs of them. They would go to conferences of engineers and boast about them. Yes, they speak in numbers because numbers impress people, numbers can be manipulated for all sorts of highly emotional reasons, and numbers can be used to hide the fact that engineers are highly emotional people."
    Just in case your interested the book is available from Amazon under Grass Roots: Series One
    by Geoffrey et al Atherden

<snip> Engineers are highly emotional people. They love their roads. Given a free hand, they would see Council spend less money on books and meals-on-wheels and youth centres and anything called culture and put it all into raising the quality of road surfaces to as near to airport runway standard as they can get. They would be proud of their roads. They would take photographs of them. They would go to conferences of engineers and boast about them.<snip>
    They'd be so proud they'd kill kittens on their roads....

If BWharrie's quote of Atherton weren't so true, it'd be scary.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    LOL! I've said similar things to a few developers. They thought I was just joking with them... They found out I wasn't when they saw my recommendation!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Town planners and sustainability
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 07 Apr 2008, 10:57 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 19 Sep 2007, 6:24 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Jun 2006, 10:50 AM
  4. Replies: 89
    Last post: 17 Mar 2006, 4:17 PM