Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Damn it

Registered
    Apr 2005

Damn it

The name's Steve. I've been in the job market since graduation in January. I've got the Master's Regional Planning thing, but I'm thinking about going on for the PHd, especially since I haven't been offered an interview as of tax day eve 2005.
    I very interested in sharing job searching tips with all the newbies.
    Good luck to all the field.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    welcome
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicagoland!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from sunny Central Texas!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from SW Indiana in the Central Time Zone.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by urbanwalker
    The name's Steve. I've been in the job market since graduation in January. I've got the Master's Regional Planning thing, but I'm thinking about going on for the PHd, especially since I haven't been offered an interview as of tax day eve 2005.
    I very interested in sharing job searching tips with all the newbies.
    Good luck to all the field.
    Welcome. About the only advice I have to offer is keep at it and try not to get discouraged. It was nearly a year between school and and my first real planning job. During that time I got really discouraged. I applied for so many jobs I have no idea how many - Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Washington State, Oregon, N. Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, and Colorado. Got maybe a dozen interviews. Finally got a job in Ketchikan, AK. Was there 19 months, then I got a job exactly where I wanted to be: Helena, Montana.

This week we are interviewing candidates for an associate planner job. Three made the cut. People who didn't make the cut: people who didn't complete the application or incorreectly, people whose cover letters mentioned the wrong place of possible employment (Missoula, rather than Helena - this is a common mistake because you send out so many cover letters to so many placesthat it is easy to forget to change the last version) and not using the proper application form (we had one filled out on the application of an adjoining county - WRONG!)

So be careful what you send potential employers, don't get discouraged and remember there are many applicants for a job (it is not personal). Do somethning in the meantime, even if it isn't planning-related.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Welcome from Grant Street. Good luck with the job search. The last time I was in the market it took me nearly six months to find a job and I during that time I couoldn't help but get discouraged. But after enough resumes it I finally ended up with a few offers and ended up with one that I truly enjoy - most days. So keep on keeping on.

Another thing to remember is that it can sometimes take a looonge time for local governments to hire someone so keep that in mind as you submit your resumes.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Welcome and good luck!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from NW Florida (starting the compass for The One). Good luck with the job hunt.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Okay, howdy from the NE corner of Florida.

We need warm bodies for jobs in our area. I was asked for new canidates today from a private firm in our area. Also my office needs an EM planner.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for all the info. I have the horse blinders on applying to tons of jobs with fingers crossed.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Welcome from Binghamton, NY.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by urbanwalker
    Thanks for all the info. I have the horse blinders on applying to tons of jobs with fingers crossed.
    My sister is not in planning but she always says that it takes 12 resumes to get an interview and 12 interviews to get a job. She views job-hunting as a numbers game.

Good luck and welcome!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hey There....

From SE Florida.....
    Maybe us Florida types can go even further with our compass (NNE, SSE, SSW, NNW he he he....) I don't think there are enough of us......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello from Houston, Land of the Zoning-Free!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Welcome from the Show-Me state

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Welcome from yet another Florida planner!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Welcome from the Flint Hills of Kansas.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Welcome to the ship
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Welcome to the board.
    Universe is not wide enough to be planned.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Damn...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 29 Jun 2013, 9:51 PM
  2. Damn You 60 Minutes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 22 Oct 2004, 12:51 PM
  3. DAMN YOU ALL (dot net)
    Friday Afternoon Club