Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: From grad to employee: how long?

Registered
    Apr 2005

From grad to employee: how long?

How long did it take you to get your job from graduation? It has been 5 months so far for me. I'm starting to get a tad nervous. Also, were you offered interviews. I have been offered zilch. Should I be worried?

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I had a job before graduation.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Took me about 7 months....but I turned down a couple offers to move back to NH after college in the midwest.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    It took me approx. 6 months before I got my first.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    6 weeks from graduation to first job. Just lucked into it.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I had one waiting for me, but I was probably a little unusual in that regard.

I had two friends that graduated last May that got jobs about two months ago, so I guess it took them about 8 months.

Not getting any calls for interviews might worry me a little. My guess is that these are high demand positions and they physically cannot interview everyone. You also might have some real 'winners' working in HR that don't know what the hell they are doing when they filter the resumes. I would sit down with someone and have them go over your resume & cover letter to look for ways to improve it and make it stand out more. Contact your university planning department to see if you can get an alumni listing for planners. You might see if one of them can look over your stuff. In fact, I bet you could get some of the folks on here to look it over and give you some feedback.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Too long and very frustrating 18 months.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I don't remember exactly, but is was more than 6 months.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    One year! I guess I graduated during the last 'Great Planning Job Depression'- 1993.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I graduated during a recession. I worked the dark side for about 11 months before finally getting clean.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Nor Cal Planner Girl
    One year! I guess I graduated during the last 'Great Planning Job Depression'- 1993.
    So that's what was happening.
    I graduated 1991.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

I got an assistant planner position before having a planning degree, but 3 years after finishing geography B.S. I worked for a former professor, and later got a better gig close to finishing the master's. It wouldn't hurt to check back with your profs, and ask where people they know are working. At least then you have some connection to say "Hey, we had the same prof back at U of X, and I wanted to ask you ...." Good luck.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Nor Cal Planner Girl
    Uh huh. I went to grad school in 1992.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Took me 3 months to land a job after I graduated. I should say however I had been looking since the start of my last semester so if you count that it took about 7 months.

I took the first job offered because I was BROKE. Stayed there almost a year and a half then moved on.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I found mine right after I graduated, however, I knew a number of people in the industry.
    "First we shape our buildings, and then our buildings start shaping us." - Sir Winston Churchill

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I graduated from my masters program in 2002 and I think the average was about 3 months and they were spread around the South mostly.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Nov 2002
    It took approximately months after finishing my undergrad before I landed my first planning job. However, the working conditions were often less than ideal and the pay was hardly worth the move to another state. But I wanted (needed) the work and, in the grand scheme of things, I suppose that I did learn a lot from the situation.

Considering your location you may find that you will have to expand your job search to other states – there always seems to be a lot f jobs available in the rural South. Many of the townships and boroughs in PA seem to not have full time planners so many of the (few) jobs available are with non-profits and privet sector firms. There are exceptions to this but you’ll have to look hard and make some connections. My advice is to go out and network, network, network. GO back and speak to your professors or even arranging a meeting with planners currently working in the field. You’ll find that many will be willing to set down with you and dole out any advice they may have. You may even get another contact name or a lead in the right direction for a job.

So good luck to you.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Aug 2012, 1:28 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 29 Jun 2007, 10:53 AM
  3. Employee Discounts
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 26 Aug 2005, 12:17 AM
  4. Hiring a new employee