Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Employer's Perspective on Georgia Tech vs. Penn

Registered
    Dec 2004

Employer's Perspective on Georgia Tech vs. Penn

Sorry to cut in on the shop talk, but I thought this would be a good place to get the opinion of employers in community development, redevelopment and revitalization.

I am now making a final decision between Georgia Tech and Penn for a master's in city (and regional) planning. I am directing this query to people in a position to hire MCRP/MCP grads in development firms or community development organizations (primarily for their first jobs out of the program).

I have gotten a much better package at Tech (which seems to be the trend for most in this predicament). Mainly, I am trying to figure out whether a Penn MCP graduate has an edge in getting better jobs across the country, and if so, is that edge worth the extra (approx. $50K over two years) money?

I would like to stress that money is somewhat of a factor, but not a deal-breaker by any means. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.

Registered
    Nov 2002

No Difference

Quote Originally posted by Sherridan
    Sorry to cut in on the shop talk, but I thought this would be a good place to get the opinion of employers in community development, redevelopment and revitalization.

I am now making a final decision between Georgia Tech and Penn for a master's in city (and regional) planning. I am directing this query to people in a position to hire MCRP/MCP grads in development firms or community development organizations (primarily for their first jobs out of the program).

I have gotten a much better package at Tech (which seems to be the trend for most in this predicament). Mainly, I am trying to figure out whether a Penn MCP graduate has an edge in getting better jobs across the country, and if so, is that edge worth the extra (approx. $50K over two years) money?

I would like to stress that money is somewhat of a factor, but not a deal-breaker by any means. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.
    Speaking for myself as someone who has hired a few entry level planners, I never care much where the masters degree is from as long as its a credible (preferably accredited) school and the person seems articulate and curious.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    when hiring I rarely care about what school someone goes to. simple advice---go to a school that's cheap and has a proven track record of providing/offering quality internships.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    What they say above is what I have heard repeatedly in this forum with one exception: It is my understanding that California cities prefer to hire someone educated in California due to CEQA (our state environmental laws, basically).

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Somewhat off topic, but I think Atlanta would make for a facinating place to learn about planning. The dynamics of our sprawltopia can be seen up close. Also because of the move back into cities in general, coupled with the degree to which the city was abandoned during white flight, the city is in someway a blank canvas (ok, not really but there is a lot of possibilities). The old guard here is relatively small so if you want to get involved in the community while in school, you can have actual influence on the physical outcome of all this building. In some towns, outsiders are resented. Here, almost everyone is an outsider so it doesn't really matter.

Locally, the program has gotten a huge boost in visability due to The Beltline having been designed as a Master's project by a Tech student.

If nothing else, you will have the ability to give cautionary tales to the folks in whatever town your career takes you because you will have looked the sprawlbeast straight in the eye.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I went to Tech, loved it. As an employer, I would put both on an equal setting, and leave it up to the individual. Follow the money.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Upenn vs Georgia Tech
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Apr 2009, 9:57 PM
  2. Screwed by Georgia Tech
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Jul 2008, 4:01 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 12:40 PM