Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Celebrations and Giddy Transitions

Registered
    Jul 2003

Celebrations and Giddy Transitions

I have no idea how to express my thoughts so I will just wade in. Here is this runaway bride story, where they found her and now she may be charged with a crime for claiming she was kidnapped. The closing line:
    Last year, a Wisconsin college student who faked her own abduction and turned up curled in a fetal position in a marsh was given three years' probation for obstructing police and was ordered to repay police at least $9,000 for their search.
    Well, she (the bride) was facing this major transition and apparently just Lost It. And now there may be Dire Consequences, per the quote above (sued, ordered to pay damages, etc.). Frankly, I think I might run away from a wedding with 600 guests invited. I can't imagine that kind of pressure.

Er, back on topic...and just what is the topic, you say? Well, Mr. Zone is leaving/moving out this week. I am so excited, my kids say I sound like a giddy teenager talking about a date or something. I don't know how I will cope. For things that a lot of folks think are "terrible" or "hard to take" or whatever, my reply is often "It's the end of the world AS WE KNOW IT and I feel fine." But, you know, this is a big personal ending for me and it is so wonderful, I am nervous that I will mess it up horribly -- a la Ms. Runaway Bride (how fitting: I am running away from my marriage too ).

How do y'all cope with exciting, overwhelming transitions in your lives? How do you let loose without creating problems and, um, keep grounded? Or maybe return safely to earth? (Excuse me while I go find a paperbag to breathe into so I don't hyperventilate. )

Or, alternately, what's your story about a giddy time in your life or something you currently feel celebratory about? Let's share the love.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I was giddy with happiness the day my divorce was finalized! Free at last!

As for more recently, being in a new relationship can bring a real feeling of giddyness. It's just important to stay grounded by keeping up with friends and normal activities.

Something I currently feel celebratory about: the above-mentioned new relationship and the success of this weekend's lae-fest.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The key is to stay grounded. Go ahead and allocate some time/space to experience the emotional uplift, but don't let it affect you so much that it detracts from your Mission.

I remember when I got out of the service I did not part on good terms, so it was a joyful and much anticipated event the day I was released from active duty. I had all these fantasies about how I'd squawk my tires as I peeled off government property and would have a bottle of Jack Daniels in one hand and be flipping the MP's the bird with the other and be screaming some appropriate words as I departed. When the Last Day finally came something strange happened...I felt all the giddiness but as I approached the front gate a calm feeling, almost spiritual, overcame me and the Moment ended up being a quiet reverential observance of the passing of a life milestone and not a final act of rebellion.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Thanks you two. I am already feeling calmer and trying to focus on the responsibilities that come with freedom. It is a lecture I give my kids regularly when they whine about having responsibilities: if they can be responsible about it, they can do their chores at their convenience. If they can't do them in a timely fashion and keep on top of them, then they have to do them at my convenience. (Just one example.) Responsibilities and freedom go hand in hand -- and responsibility is something which keeps one grounded (like having kids).

We had a nice time at lunch today so I feel a little sad now. There are reasons we fell in love and married and it is sad that we cannot make it work. But the up side is that sadness also tempers euphoria.

My kids take on it: "Mom he has left for weeks or months many other times. This isn't that much different. He is just leaving for a few decades." roflol.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 15 Aug 2005, 9:27 PM
  2. Transitions in life.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 10 May 2005, 10:29 AM