Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Planning Students Unite!

Registered
    Dec 2004

New Planning Students Unite!

Hello, especially to all new planning master's students (and those in related fields).

I just started up on Cyburbia recently and wanted to connect with others new to the planning world, like myself. I'm guessing there will be an influx of new minds to the portal since yesterday, thousands of new planning students just made up their minds about where to attend this coming fall.

I wanted to take advantage of this influx and start to form a link with this group that will hopefully last through school and then some. By no means am I trying to shut out any grizzled planning vets who might also be joining Cyburbia for the first time. I just think the new planning students are a unique group who are hungry for new knowledge and ideas, and are still very idealistic and impressionable at this time. I think we have a relatively novel perspective on many planning issues, and would greatly benefit from creating a nexus of new questions, ideas and visions.

So, before this becomes novel-length...

I have no hard-and-fast agenda here, just a desire to start opening lines of communication with the few, the proud...the idealistic--the new planning students.

To start introductions...I will be beginning the Master of City and Regional Planning program at Georgia Tech this fall. I plan to specialize in Land Development, with particular interests in community development and revitalization. I hail from the Boston area, went undergrad at Michigan and have been sticking around since.

Looking forward to meeting all you other planning plebes...
    Last edited by Sherridan; 16 Apr 2005 at 5:09 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Greetings Sherridan, from one of the "grizzled vet" who has absolutely no interest in learning anything new and is very resistant to change and the incorporation of new approaches.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from NW Florida. Have a but place Budgie on your ignore list.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Welcome aboard

Ignore Rudgie and BichmondJake.......

runs to the fridge for a beer......
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from Indiana, where
    "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" Chicago

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Welcome from a "Cute, Naive Go-Getter" college student idealist die-hard optimist

(who is probably old enough to be your momma )

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    ...Ignore Rudgie and BichmondJake.......

runs to the fridge for a beer......
    I haven't seen those players before.....see me in my office on Monday, butt head.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Welcome from NW Florida. Have a but place Budgie on your ignore list.
    Does anyone see the irony in RJ's ignore Budgie mantra and the fact that he quotes me for his signature line? Ignore this [off screen jester described and coddling ones genitals] RJ.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Does anyone see the irony in RJ's ignore Budgie mantra and the fact that he quotes me for his signature line? Ignore this [off screen jester described and coddling ones genitals] RJ.
    First off, I have no idea what irony means....just irony me my shirts, OK? And then there was this iddaarary thing today, too. Oh, was that what your comment was about? I'll correct that right away. Excuse me. Pardon me. I'm so sorry if I offended anyone.
    Ah oh it's magic The Cars
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 17 Apr 2005 at 12:46 AM. Reason: engrish...oh hell I dont really know
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2004

The Fun Never Ends

I've "known" you people for only a day, and you're already too much.

Glad to see planners are such serious folk...I've no patience for the shenanigans of hooligans.

And I don't like guff either.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Sherridan

Glad to see planners are such serious folk...I've no patience for the shenanigans of hooligans.

And I don't like guff either.
    Good, because I’ve never liked Guff myself. He’s a jerk.

Welcome to the underpaid funhouse.

Registered
    Jul 2003

2am thoughts about this thread

a) I was trying to gently and humorously say "gee, you make a lot of erroneous (and offensive) assumptions about people". (I think Budgie was too, actually.) It wasn't intended as "guff".

b) Given the somewhat inflammatory nature of your introductory remarks, I think folks are being fairly nice. So I suggest you "forgive and forget".

c) Richmond Jake, Budgie, and Rumpy Tunanator cut up like that sometimes, especially in the evening/on weekends. I wish they wouldn't do that in "intro" threads because newcomers don't know what to make of it and it can really hurt. Please, try not to take their comments personally.

d) I hope that the rest of the folks who say "Welcome" will make a fresh start and not continue the shenanigans. Newcomers who get sideswiped in their intro thread typically end up with a very negative view of the forum and often do not stay. "First impressions" and all that.

Registered
    Dec 2004

Cheers

A virtual to everyone here, on me!!

From what I've gathered so far, you all seem like a fun bunch.

I'm sure they're not getting kicks like this on Cylegalia.

Cheers! See y'all 'round (gotta start talking like the non-transplants in Hotlanta)...

Registered
    Feb 2000
    MZ, relax a little. Repeat after me .... mellow, mellow, mellow, mellow .......

I think Sherridan has it all figured out and will have a lot to offer the forum. Frequently, my welcome statements include some rules of engagement, including don't be offended and be frank. Perhaps I should include this and load my posts with smilies.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    MZ, relax a little. Repeat after me .... mellow, mellow, mellow, mellow .......
    I AM mellow!!!, damn it. And I didn't make those remarks. I think terrorists hi-jacked my account.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    welcome
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Howdy from NE Florida.

Registered
    Dec 2004

Hello from a Fellow New Englander

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    welcome
    NHPlanner,

I can't believe you found that rare photo of a young Tom Brady. Amazing that a kid from California could know at that age that he wanted to play for the Pats when he grew up. It's also amazing that he got an advanced order on the new jerseys back then (he was obviously born in the days of Pat Patriot).

Do you do statewide planning or are you focused in a locality?

I'm originally from the North Shore of the Boston area.

Go Pats!
    Go Sox!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Greetings from Kansas!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Howdy....

Hey from SE Florida
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Greetings from Missouri

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from a new planner that has always been cynical. Sorry to disappoint!

I'm down here in sunny (well, not today) Central Texas. I'm serving on the Local Host Committee for the 2006 APA Conference in San Antonio as the Student Issues Chair. Tell me your thoughts...your dreams...your favorite beer... Seriously, if you have any thoughts for the type of stuff you as a student preparing to enter the 'real-world' would like to hear about/participate in at the conference, shoot me a line!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2004

I can partially answer the "favorite beer" question

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Tell me your thoughts...your dreams...your favorite beer... Seriously, if you have any thoughts for the type of stuff you as a student preparing to enter the 'real-world' would like to hear about/participate in at the conference, shoot me a line!
    Thanks for the offer, SR. As far as hopes and dreams, I'll need a little time to mull over that. Right now my thinking is too far into the "pie in the sky" realm. A few years of school should help me realize the limits of reality with which I can craft lofty goals.

And for a beer snob, your favorite beer question is a tough one. As far as old standbyes, Bass, Newcastle and Pilsner Urquell fill out the list. Once I start troucing into my favorite microbrews, it will be nap time for the rest of you.

I'll be sure to plug you for more info down the line when questions pop into my head.

Adios for now

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicagoland and a former Michigan native that got my BA and MUP from UM.

....yeah....I don't think you should be hanging around with Guff.....he's not right in the head.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Oh no, the Planning Students are uniting - run for the hills!

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Feb 2012, 6:24 AM
  2. Herbivores of the world unite
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 03 Jan 2011, 7:23 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Mar 2010, 9:16 AM
  4. Secessionists of the world, unite!