Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fishing.........

Registered
    Dec 2003

Fishing.........

and if you don't catch anything, you can at least catch a buzz........

Or so I've been asked by many people when leaving an area I've fished.

I've been at it for a while, and was going to go down the street to do some today, but the lure of the sitting in the dark and drinking beer prevailed.

I guess I was going to go somewhere with this....................

........so my question is, what have been you greatest fishing adventures?

I'd have to go with the times spent carp fishing back in 96-97. Nothing like chumming the water with corn, and drinking whisky on some crappy lake by the waste water treatment plant with a couple of friends. Once you got the whole school of carp in the area, it would be a none stop frenzy.

Then there was the time I caught a northern pike out of the erie canal while it was snowing back in the late 80's, before they drained the canal for the season. Of course I wasn't antiquated with the orange enima at the time, but some drunk guys were and apparently didn't mind going for a swim.

Then of course there's probally a million more stories involving snapping turtles, bottle rockets, gut rot, etc.

Some of the best times involved catching nothing (except a buzz ), like the time me and my bros where in the adirondaks and hiked up to a lake that was suppose to have fish, but was instead a dead lake. Sure we got killed by the deer flies and mosquitoes, and the fact that we didn't bring to much food because we thought we'd be eating fish, but we did bring enough beer and did have a bottle of bourbon to pass around the fire. Nothing like a camp fire to bring out the stories.

Ahhh, good times.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I was eight the first time I went fishing, it was a beautiful trout stream by my house, and I remember that I ended up eating most of the corn and eventually ended up falling into the creek. Needless to say it was awhile before the next time my father handed me a rod and reel. It was about two years before my Dad took me fishing again, this time it was on Lake Cherokee, Oconee County, South Carolina in a bass boat. Apparently I made too much noise and no fish were caught that day. My very next fishing experience was a couple of ears later on the Chattooga River and I caught at least five trout that day. Come to find out my Dad didn’t have the heart to tell me that I caught them at the same time that the SC Department of Natural Resources was releasing a bunch of hatchery fish about a half mile up stream. Needless to say I haven’t been fishing since.

I suppose I could do some fishing here in Pittsburgh, but I prefer my mercury in thermometers.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Rising River off Hat Creek, No. Calif. several times. Some great trout fishing days with my sons...and it didn't even involve beer or wine. Damn good days.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    When I was about 12 I caught a large dolphin off Ft Lauderdale, (no, not the Flipper kind) and it's hanging on my family room wall.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I've got two fishing adventures worthy of note. Keep in mind I go fishing at least once a fortnight, but usually more often than that. I've worked on my fish call all winter and I've used it that past 3 weekends. Haven't been skunked yet, but haven't caught anything worth keeping yet.

Anyway, one night (it was around 11:00 p.m.) I was at Rocky Ford below the dam at Tuttle Creek Reserviour near Manhattan, Kansas when my line, which was sitting on the bottom started slowly drifting to a ripple about 50 yards down the bank. I figured I was hooked onto a piece of driftwood or something so I started walking towards the ripple. All of the sudden the line ran upstream and I about soiled myself. Long story short - my ex wife was complaining to her mom about me being out too late when I got home. She said "you better have a damn big fish or something". I told her to go look on the lawn. In my son's little plastic wading pool there was a 76 lb catfish. We had a fish fry for 40 people the next day and we still only eat 1/3 of the meat. My other memorable fishing trip was more about the buzz.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Ahh, Rumpy me boy......you will rue the day you asked this question with a Bear with a million fish stories hanging around. Here's one (1).....

Cruising the east side of Toledo (because the girls there "did it"), me and my buddy Phil picked up a couple young ladies. They were "friends of friends" so there was a slight connection. They said they wanted to go fishing.

We drove out to Cullen Park in Toledo (Point Place area) and grabbed our gear, some wine and beer, and the ladies. We walked out on the dirt breakwall about a half mile and found a good place for sitting, relaxing, drinking, etc. We casted our lines out.

Because it was the middle of the night you could not see our lines. Sherry F., the girl with me (blonde, tall), walked over to my fishing pole, saying something like this: "Sometimes if you just grab the line with your finger and give it a few wiggles you will entice a fish to bite."

She went to grab the line and stepped back and exclaimed loudly, "There's no line on this pole!"

Phil and I, in our haste to get these ladies out on a dark slip of dirt that stuck out into Maumee Bay, had deliberatly "faked" fishing.....casting out with NO line, pretending we were fishing.

Like Rumpy said, "Good times.'

Bear Faking It
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Phil and I, in our haste to get these ladies out on a dark slip of dirt that stuck out into Maumee Bay, had deliberatly "faked" fishing.....casting out with NO line, pretending we were fishing.
    .... And .....? Actually you were fishing. Did you catch a fish?

Come on BUN, you've left everyone hanging. What a jip?
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    .... And .....? Actually you were fishing. Did you catch a fish?

Come on BUN, you've left everyone hanging. What a jip?
    People who have fished a lot use the phrase, "At least I got to wet my worm."

We call it fishing, not catching. I didn't get to wet my worm on that fishing adventure.

She was cute. Looked like Kim Novak. Errrr.....I mean.....the walleyes in Maumee Bay are cute.....errrrr, ahhhh.......

Never mind.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I did a lot of camping as a kid, and my dad liked to fish. So although I'm a girl, I got to do a lot of fishing with dad and actually learned how to cast pretty well. I tried fly fishing once and failed miserably, however.

I can think of two great fishing trips... one when I was really young (8 or 9?) with a bunch of other kids at our campground. About a dozen or so of us sat around fishing for the better part of a day, caught a ton of perch in Lake Cachuma, CA. Nothing really worth noting, but it was fun nonetheless...probably more for childhood socializing than actually fishing.

The other great fishing trip(s) I've had has been with one of my best friends. He is an avid fisherman (and outdoorsman in general I guess). The only reason I find it particulary fun to go with him is that 1) he brings all the equipment and 2) I always do incredibly well when I fish with him. Each time we've gone fishing together, I have caught huge fish compared to his, invariably pixxing him off. And it's fun to annoy your friends! The last time we fished together was off a pier in Avalon, CA (Catalina Island). I forget what I caught, it it was twice as big as whatever he caught... and that's what matters

Registered
    May 2003

Lake Erie Is Home To Walleye, Windshields, Fishing Gear, Etc.

If you are a regular fisherperson who has gone out on Lake Erie you know that the warmest and shallowest of the Great Lakes has some interesting "stuff" scattered on its' bottom.

This Bear owned a few Lake Erie boats over a long period of time. Every weekend, when my father was still alive, he would call on a Friday night and say, "We going?" I enjoyed his company, I enjoyed fishing, I enjoyed taking my (then young) son along. Every Saturday from early May to early August we would fish for walleyes. In mid-September we would start fishing again, this time going for cooler-loads of perch. Fun times.

In addition to the tasty fish, I caught some other stuff in the big lake. While fishing with a work-pal and his young daughter, twice on the trip she casted her small rod and reel right out of her hand and into the water. Both times I quickly reeled in and cast into the area I thought she lost her pole.....and both times I reeled her pole back in. On another trip I lost a rod and reel in a similar manner. Did I have any luck getting my gear back? Nooooooooo.......

On another trip my I was reeling slowly, looking for the lunker walleye ("Walter Jay") and my pole bent way over. Walleyes don't fight until you get them up near the boat so I slowly reeled in "the mother of all walters".

I caught a windshield. It was the wooden framework from an old wooden boat's windshield. It still had the single wiper on the pilot's side (common with older wood boats). It was probably in a bottom-of-the-lake debris pile that would have included the other parts of the boat.

We kidded around about casting for skeletons that were still with the debris pile.

Also reeled in an old metal cooler. Didn't have anything in it, though. It's condition looked like it had been sunk on purpose.

Bear On The Pig 3
    Occupy Cyburbia!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Funny this thread is here as I just got home from sitting at a little lake all day with a pole in the water...didn't catch anything, well a tiny brown trout that about ate the hook...took him about 20 minutes to turn over and start swimming again BUT my conciense is clear , Got a GREAT T-shirt tan and lots of much needed relaxation....

Registered
    Jul 2002

here fishy fishy!

One day when I was living in Maine (Caribou) the X and I had one of our common arguements so I said f*** it and grabbed my untra light spin cast outfit and went down to a close-by trout stream (Little Madawaska River) to a hole just below a small dam. I was using a Daredevil and was just about to give up when I gave it the ole "one more cast" when my lure stopped. Thinking I was snagged I gave it a hard pull and this FISH the size of my arm jumped out of the water. I was momentarily stunned to think that it was on my line. The I resigned myself to the fact that using 4 pound test that there was no way I was going to land it. Well, I did and it was a 21 1/2" lake trout and it tasted very good. To this day every time I go fishing I cast out a Daredevil at least once.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm allergic to all fish (can't eat any) so it makes little sense for me to go fishing. I think I went fishing maybe once when I was a youngster. It doesn't seem like the sort of hobby I would have the patience for anyways, though.

Waiting...... waiting..... waiting..... waiting.... waiting.... waiting......there's a tug......guess he didn't bite......waiting..... waiting..... waiting.....waiting

Maybe I just don't 'get it' and some grizzled fishing vet can explain what the fun is I've been missing all these years.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Having managed to land the hook in my own buttocks at age 6, I early came to the conclusion that fishing was not for me.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Funny this thread is here as I just got home from sitting at a little lake all day with a pole in the water...didn't catch anything, well a tiny brown trout that about ate the hook...took him about 20 minutes to turn over and start swimming again BUT my conciense is clear , Got a GREAT T-shirt tan and lots of much needed relaxation....

Same with me. I was fly fishing up the canyon west of here yesterday. Caught two trout and a sunburn.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002

gfv

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Maybe I just don't 'get it' and some grizzled fishing vet can explain what the fun is I've been missing all these years.
    Hey! BACK OFF MAN!
    Fishing is a little like gambling. A person gets the idea that with each pull of the one-armed-bandit (cast of the line) you're going to get the big one. Plus its a great excuse to get into the outdoors and do something peaceful and alone if you're so inclined. And I don't eat the critters any more. I haven't kept a fish that I caught in over 20 years.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Always catch and release with me too. The fish knows I caught him, and I know I caught him.

Maybe I'll keep them if the Bear wants to take me to the U.P.
    (Pikes and Rolling Rocks, Bear?)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    its a great excuse to get into the outdoors and do something peaceful and alone if you're so inclined. And I don't eat the critters any more. I haven't kept a fish that I caught in over 20 years.
    I really enjoy hiking, camping and many other solitary outdoor activities so it seems like I SHOULD really like fishing. I don't know, maybe the scenery doesn't change enough. Mrs. Maister is probably grateful that I don't have yet another hobby taking me away from important home chores.....

And doesn't that hurt the poor fishie getting a hook in his mouth?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Always catch and release with me too. The fish knows I caught him, and I know I caught him.

Maybe I'll keep them if the Bear wants to take me to the U.P.
    (Pikes and Rolling Rocks, Bear?)
    Catch and release MOST of the time BUT when my friend heads to the trout farm I always make him bring me some home to cook...otherwise in the lakes and rivers around here we through them back...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I was taking a walk at a nature area in August. The trail paralleled an irrigation ditch, which was pretty dry. I heard splashing, so I walked over to the dtich. There was a 14-inch rainbox trout trapped in a pool of water thant couldn't even cover his back. I shucked off my shoes and chased him around the pool until I cornered him. I took him home, and the cat and I had a trout dinner.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2002

fishwoman

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I don't know, maybe the scenery doesn't change enough. Mrs. Maister is probably grateful that I don't have yet another hobby taking me away from important home chores.....
    I don't like still fishing. Either I walk the shore or move the boat. Sitting just waiting for a bite is boring.
    OT. I would love to "hook up" with a female who likes to fish. Especially if she has a boat.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    I would love to "hook up" with a female who likes to fish. Especially if she has a boat.
    Let me guess.... you'd like a photo of the boat first!
    Living and dreaming are two different things-but you can't do one without the other."
    -Malcolm Forbes

Registered
    Jul 2002

boat

Quote Originally posted by Theo
    Let me guess.... you'd like a photo of the boat first!
    A noterized description will do.
    WALSTIB

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    26' SeaRay, cabin and one-half Not much of a fishing boat but works for skiing and partying at the Lake

Registered
    Nov 2003
    The last time I went fishing was in 2003 with my future father-in-law. We were off the Taimani (spelling ?) Trail between Naples and Ft. Myers Beach. Neither of us caught anything, but those damn pelicans sure did.

Any MD-DC-VA area Cyburbians know any good fishing spots?
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Let's Go Fishing!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 59
    Last post: 12 Mar 2012, 1:06 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Mar 2012, 7:53 PM