Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Question for any other students headed to UIC this fall - Help!

Registered
    Apr 2005

Question for any other students headed to UIC this fall - Help!

Hi,

Okay, so I'm new here, I'm attending UIC this fall for my Master's and I'm actually wondering if there's anybody else here experiencing what I am right now:

I received a letter from Urban Planning & Policy about a month ago informing me that I'd been recommended for admissions with a deadline to reply. I accepted, and about a week and a half later I received a letter from UIC Admissions admitting me into the Graduate College with some limited information about registration (which opens in mid-May) and an immunization form.

And that's it. I haven't gotten any official correspondence from the program since I accepted and I feel like there's something not right here.

Is anybody else experiencing the same thing?

(I'm holding out hope that there's an UIC student here!)

kyle

Registered
    Dec 2004

UIC is Slow on the Draw

Quote Originally posted by kyleobie
    Hi,

Okay, so I'm new here, I'm attending UIC this fall for my Master's and I'm actually wondering if there's anybody else here experiencing what I am right now:

I received a letter from Urban Planning & Policy about a month ago informing me that I'd been recommended for admissions with a deadline to reply. I accepted, and about a week and a half later I received a letter from UIC Admissions admitting me into the Graduate College with some limited information about registration (which opens in mid-May) and an immunization form.

And that's it. I haven't gotten any official correspondence from the program since I accepted and I feel like there's something not right here.

Is anybody else experiencing the same thing?

(I'm holding out hope that there's an UIC student here!)

kyle
    Kyle,

Although I will not be attending UIC, I was accepted and went through the exact same process you are going through. However, after the Graduate College sent the admissions confirmation, I did receive a financial aid letter, which I believe also contained some registration information.

I wouldn't worry too much since it seems UIC is about a week or two behind other schools in the notification process (which is really damn inconvenient for admittants considering the school along with several others). However, it wouldn't hurt to follow up with Hazel Brown in the UPP office.

I hope everything gets straightened out for you. UIC looks a very solid program, by the way.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for your help. I'm a bit relieved to hear that this isn't unusual.

kyle

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I was strongly considering UIC with a concentration in economic development, too. But since I am currently finishing up my undergrad degree in Chicago, I thought it would be beneficial to experience a new city. Regardless, UIC had a solid urban planning program (and as you probably are aware, itís the only one available in Chicago). The admissions staff is a little behind schedule, though. No worries.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Good thread, folks. I had the same concerns but resolved to conduct more due diligence before giving up on them.

I'm giving UIC a serious look due to the program's policy elements. In the end though, I think the focus is a little too exclusively urban for my regional & rural development interests.

Registered
    Oct 2004

UIC is the place to be

Quote Originally posted by kyleobie
    Thanks for your help. I'm a bit relieved to hear that this isn't unusual.

kyle
    Hi Kyle, I am 95% sure that I'll be attending UIC in the fall, so we should keep in touch. I've gotten the same correspondence as you and it's killing me to wait for financial aid news. If you think UIC is slow, I got an acceptance letter from UT-Austin TODAY. So, I'm a little torn between the two programs, but I like UIC's urban emphasis and Chicago kicks ass. I've lived in Salt Lake City my whole life, so I'm looking for a big city change.

If your acceptance letter mentioned an advisor, I reccomend that you contact them. Mine is Janet Smith, and she's given me some good advice on what classes to register for.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Guys, thanks again for your help.

Urbanavenger, we should definitely get in touch! I have Tingwei Zhang as an advisor, he has been helpful in suggesting classes for registration. What's your concentration? I'm somewhat committed to Econ Development, although I'm still strongly considering Community Development and still partially torn.

Oh, and Chicago totally kicks ass.

kyle

Registered
    Oct 2004
    [QUOTE=kyleobie] What's your concentration? I'm somewhat committed to Econ Development, although I'm still strongly considering Community Development and still partially torn.

I've somewhat committed myself to Community Development, although I'm also considering Econ Development. So maybe I'll try to take all my electives in Econ. My ultimate goal is to work on urban reviltilization, especially affordable housing. So I'm hoping to figure out which emphasis is right when I get to school and get a feel for the classes.

So eventually I plan to be working for city gov, or a non-profit or even a conventional development company. Where ever the jobs are, I guess.

Where do you hope to be in 2 years?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 159
    Last post: 28 Apr 2011, 10:05 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Jun 2009, 9:04 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Mar 2008, 1:45 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 May 2007, 10:17 AM
  5. Question to other students