Urban planning community

Thread: Planning With---and for---Dogs

Registered
    Aug 2001

Planning With---and for---Dogs

Our Greenland Husky Nuna is full of vim and vigor as spring comes to the Arctic. How about you and your dogs?
    Aren't they a big part of your life?
    But what about community facilities and services for dogs?
    Do we need more dog runs.....indoors and outdoors?
    How about vet services and pet stores.....more or less?
    Talk to me, or better yet, talk to your dog and tell us what he or she says.
    Now it's time to go for a long Arctic walk with Nuna.
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Hello, Earl. Being childless and somewhat solitary by nature, dogs are (maybe too much) a big part of my life I have an older shepherd mix (who is showing his age, poor old fella), a perpetually puppyish collie mix, and a basenji (a 20-30 pound barkless African hound that is the most elegant (and frustrating) creature I've ever known).

Most California cities are beginning to provide formal "dog parks" as population growth and "leash laws" spread. There is a small dog park in my town, a better one a short drive up the freeway. I'll let them run in our regional park (a scofflaw am I) sometimes, although as the grass dries, the foxtails become a problem for my collie mix.

There are a lot of resources on the web for dog parks. Good luck.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hi again---as I type this, Greenland Husky Nuna is right by my feet.
    During the day, she tries to stay close to me and I don't really mind. I work at home and Chris is away at work most days, so Nuna and I hang together.

Even while I work at the computer, she is there. And I take a lot more walks and exercise.

So I wanted to ask planners out there about the social and mental health aspects of dogs. I know dogs have helped convicts, and also seniors in nursing homes.
    Likely other situations where they have helped someone improve physical or mental health.

And what about taking one's dog to work? Pros and cons?

Let's see what the good folks on the message board think.
    Cheers
    Earl

Registered
    Aug 2001

More on Dogs

I'm just so enthusiastic about dogs and pets and keep finding out positive things about them----including therapy dogs which help those with Alzheimers and other disabilities in nursing homes. I'm trying to get such dogs in the large nursing home where my 89-year-old mother Helen is staying, but so far they have only sprung for some birds. --which are very helpful and make even the most quiet resident smile and become aware sometimes.
    There are also some apparently successful programs with dogs in prisons which are cared for by the convicts as they are trained to help disabled people.
    And on it goes.
    Our dog Avu (which means "sugar" in Inupiaq Eskimo) is laying at my feet sleeping as I type this.
    thanks
    'Earl

More at Cyburbia

1. Hot dogs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 14 Apr 2014, 4:52 PM
  2. Dogs vs. Cats
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Aug 2007, 11:09 PM