Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I will be attending *school* in the fall with a concentration in *concentration*...

Registered
    Mar 2005

I will be attending *school* in the fall with a concentration in *concentration*...

Hi all,

The April 15th deadline has now passed, so why don't we try this again?

I will be attending Columbia University in the fall with a concentration in urban economic development.

Itís your turn.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Still Pending...

They will be attending Berkeley in the Fall with a concentration in bad scheduling

Registered
    Jul 2004

I started my own thread for this, but...

I'll be going to Florida State in the Fall with a concentration in Transportation and Real Estate development.

Registered
    Dec 2004

Tech Bound

I will be attending Georgia Tech, intending to specialize in Land Development. Hopefully, I will be joined by AFCunningham, the 33rd.

AFC33, did you apply to Berkeley, or do you have some qualm about them that you're referring to?

When do you have until to decide? Gotta bite the bullet sometime, man...

     
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Hello -- I will also be attending Columbia this Fall.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    UNC.
    probably concentrating in land use/sustainable development or land use/transportation. but maybe history and design of the built environment. whoopsies, looks like someone's still not decided.

Registered
    Apr 2005

econ development

I'll be attending UIC this fall with a concentration in economic development.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Sherridan
    I will be attending Georgia Tech, intending to specialize in Land Development. Hopefully, I will be joined by AFCunningham, the 33rd.

AFC33, did you apply to Berkeley, or do you have some qualm about them that you're referring to?

When do you have until to decide? Gotta bite the bullet sometime, man...
    LOL. While I did not apply to Berkeley, I'm sure some of my competition for funding did. Here's hoping.

Decision still pending...

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Closed my eyes, spun the bottle, and UPenn it was. Concentration: community and economic development with dash of smart growth and sprinkle of urban design.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cyburbian
    Hi all,

I will be attending Columbia University in the fall with a concentration in urban economic development.

Itís your turn.
    I've decided on Columbia as well, with a concentration in urban economic development.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I decided to go to NYU this fall because I heard Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen go there. Really though, I'll concentrate in economic development and housing policy.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Woo hoo! Cyburbian, Kyleobie, Carfree, Smlee, Smith... Cyburbia is getting quite a few economic developers now.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Hey all. I will be attending Cornell in the fall, with a concentration in International Studies in Planning.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Working on my Masters in Geography with a concentration on Urban and Regional Planning at Western Michigan University. (Finishing up my 1st semester)

'Earned' my BS in Land Use Planning from Northern Michigan University in 02'
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm at Texas State University. I'm finishing my second semester in a Master of Public Administration with emphasis in Urban Planning.

I got my BS in Geography-Urban and Regional Planning in May '04. I stuck with Texas State since it was relatively close to my job. Once I finish the MPA I am considering a move for either a second master's in landscape architecture or a JD. A lot of that will depend on whether I move into private sector land planning or not. A local 'good guy' land planner wants to work with me to brush up my land development/design skills and eventually bring me on to work specifically in park planning and TND.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman GŲring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Oh yeah.....

Quote Originally posted by Smith
    I decided to go to NYU this fall because I heard Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen go there. Really though, I'll concentrate in economic development and housing policy.
    Interesting choice.....I hear they have some of the best student housing now Say hello to my cousin while your there (she's in the performing arts program).

$$$$$$$$$Good$$$$$$$Luck$$$$$$$$
    Skilled Adoxographer

Quote Originally posted by Smith

Really? ... They are only like... a year and a half yonger than me. ** Looks over Wagner application **

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cyburbian
    Hi all,

Itís your turn.
    Anyone willing to share scores/GPA/undergrad major?

I am will be applying for Fall 2006 and would like to know what i need to get on the GREs to get into certain schools.

I'm currently an Urban Planning/Management Science double major with a 3.5 overall gpa (3.9 Urban Planning). Please let me know your backgrounds or what schools I can shoot for. Thanks in advance!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Interesting choice.....I hear they have some of the best student housing now Say hello to my cousin while your there (she's in the performing arts program).

$$$$$$$$$Good$$$$$$$Luck$$$$$$$$
    Student housing- yeah right. Selling bone marrow to afford life in the Village still beats out the student housing.

Quote Originally posted by jjunke
    yuck. no thanks.

Registered
    Dec 2004

Many Factors Play Into UP Program Admissions

Quote Originally posted by jjunke

I am will be applying for Fall 2006 and would like to know what i need to get on the GREs to get into certain schools.

I'm currently an Urban Planning/Management Science double major with a 3.5 overall gpa (3.9 Urban Planning). Please let me know your backgrounds or what schools I can shoot for. Thanks in advance!
    I'm not going to flash my numbers out there for you ('cause really, they're not that flashy), but I can say that you shouldn't be too concerned with GPA and GRE scores in deciding what schools to "shoot for."

Although some schools have cutoff points for GPA and GRE scores, they are often fairly moderate cutoff points (most stated are around 3.0 and 500/section). Furthermore, the programs are factoring in many more considerations, namely, prior experience (different schools seem to require different levels, though), how directed and informed your future focus is (evidenced by your personal statement), community/volunteer work, and other more subjective measures of achievement.

An MIT faculty member, who has been on the MCP admissions committee there, told me of one successful applicant who had atrocious GRE scores, but won the committee over with her personal statement. With MIT being one of the most competitive programs, this shows that numbers do not necessarily make or break your chances, even at the more competitive schools.

Don't "shoot for," but select programs that focus on your interests, have faculty that share your intended focus, enable solid internship opportunities, AND are located in urban/suburban/rural laboratories in which you want to work (and play).

So don't focus too much on the numbers...good luck...

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I will also be attending Columbia fall 2005

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by urbanologist
    I will also be attending Columbia fall 2005
    I will be attending UCLA with a concentration in community development/built environment.

and btw, i had a low GPA so don't let that deter you from applying.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Sherridan
    I'm not going to flash my numbers out there for you ('cause really, they're not that flashy), but I can say that you shouldn't be too concerned with GPA and GRE scores in deciding what schools to "shoot for."

Although some schools have cutoff points for GPA and GRE scores, they are often fairly moderate cutoff points (most stated are around 3.0 and 500/section). Furthermore, the programs are factoring in many more considerations, namely, prior experience (different schools seem to require different levels, though), how directed and informed your future focus is (evidenced by your personal statement), community/volunteer work, and other more subjective measures of achievement.

An MIT faculty member, who has been on the MCP admissions committee there, told me of one successful applicant who had atrocious GRE scores, but won the committee over with her personal statement. With MIT being one of the most competitive programs, this shows that numbers do not necessarily make or break your chances, even at the more competitive schools.

Don't "shoot for," but select programs that focus on your interests, have faculty that share your intended focus, enable solid internship opportunities, AND are located in urban/suburban/rural laboratories in which you want to work (and play).

So don't focus too much on the numbers...good luck...

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm at the point right now where I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I was initially thinking of taking the LSATs and then going to law school for a few years, then eventually planning. But now I'm thinking I may do that in reverse. AHhhhh decisions.....What were all your reasons for going to planning school?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005

Greetings from a current DURPie

Quote Originally posted by roger
    I'll be going to Florida State in the Fall with a concentration in Transportation and Real Estate development.
    I'm in my second year in the DURP program there, and will be finishing up in the fall. I look forward to seeing you here (Provided I survive Belize)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Aug 2011, 2:27 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Jun 2008, 9:49 AM
  3. Urban design concentration
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 May 2006, 1:02 PM
  4. Concentration Dilemma