Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I will be attending *school* in the fall with a concentration in *concentration*...

I will be attending MIT in the fall with a concentration in International Planning.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jjunke
    Anyone willing to share scores/GPA/undergrad major?

I am will be applying for Fall 2006 and would like to know what i need to get on the GREs to get into certain schools.

I'm currently an Urban Planning/Management Science double major with a 3.5 overall gpa (3.9 Urban Planning). Please let me know your backgrounds or what schools I can shoot for. Thanks in advance!

Hey,

I actually have a similar background... undergrad Urban & Environmental Planning major and the same overall and planning GPA. I will be graduating in May from the University of Virginia and will be off to get my Master's in Planning at Columbia University in the Fall. As far as GREs go, they are a definitely a hassle. I took them twice and never did that great, but it didn't seem to matter as far as grad schools go. I was accepted into planning programs at Columbia, UPenn, NYU, and Maryland. I'd say shoot for the stars, you really have nothing to lose. I did not expect to get into all of those schools and was totally surprised when I received my acceptance letters. With your background and GPA I don't think you'll have a problem. Be ambitious. Just apply to a lot of schools so you have choices and try to be organized and get applications out of the way as early as you can.

If you want to chat more just shoot me a private message...

Good luck!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I will be attending Penn MCP in the fall with a concentration in transportation, stormwater and density design/planning. My fiancee will be studying school development (yo)

Registered
    Oct 2003

Not related to urban planning, though...

I will be attending York University in Toronto, Ontario, in the fall for its Teacher of the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing program.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by urbanliz
    I will be attending MIT in the fall with a concentration in International Planning.
    Urbanliz, as someone who has decided,what made you decide to go to MIT?
    What are your interests? Did you receive financail aid?
    or anyone else out there who's decided on MIT?

I am between MIT & Cornell, have crossed off UCLA and Berkeley, and still have U Hawaii hovering in the background, b/c of their strength in Pacific Asian/Southeast Asian area studies).

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I'm still working out some details, but looks like it'll be Minnesota's Humphrey Institute. Urban & Regional Planning with emphasis on economic development policy.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Retee, Hitting Three
    I'm still working out some details, but looks like it'll be Minnesota's Humphrey Institute. Urban & Regional Planning with emphasis on economic development policy.
    I was accepted by the Humphrey Institute and gave them serious consideration. It boiled down to them and NYU, but I chose NYU because their faculty is geared a little more in my direction. Anyway, congrats on Humphrey; it's a great school, and appears to be gaining more respect in the field.

Registered
    Apr 2005

USC over NYU

It was a tough decision and one that surprised even myself. As a born and raised New Yorker I had virtually settled on attending NYU. A more substantial scholarship offer to USC made me look twice. In the end, I decided a a new environment, out of my comfort zone, might challenge me further. Based on my gut, the $$, and the sun, it seemed like an obvious choice.

Anyone else heading to USC?

Also anyone have any thoughts on the value of a Master of Planning/Master of Public Administration dual degree?

I'll be attending Portland State University in the fall, probably concentrating in land use (within the Master's of Urban and Regional Planning program). Any other PSU current or future students out there?

Registered
    Mar 2005

CA Bound

Calpoly SLO for me, the joint MCRP/MS Eng concentration in Transportation Planning. Anyone else?

why MIT

Quote Originally posted by missye
    Urbanliz, as someone who has decided,what made you decide to go to MIT?
    What are your interests? Did you receive financail aid?
    or anyone else out there who's decided on MIT?

I am between MIT & Cornell, have crossed off UCLA and Berkeley, and still have U Hawaii hovering in the background, b/c of their strength in Pacific Asian/Southeast Asian area studies).

Hey,

Well I hope this is not reacing you too late and that you have already gotten lots of advice to help you make the right choice for you

I chose MIT because they are strong in the two areas I am interested in: international planning and community/participation. It is a small program with the chance to work closely with great profs. and I got a good feel at the open house. I did receive some financial aid and because I grew up in Boston and my parents and friends live there- it is a cheaper city for me than people just moving there.

also- though Boston is not my favorite city at all- it is a great place to be a student. Opportunities for lectures, speakers events at all area schools- great learning environment and more of a real city than Ithaca.

good luck on your choice- perhaps i'll see you in the fall!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I will be attending U Texas - Austin in the fall with a concentration in Transportation, but that might change.

I received no aid, had a 3.44 junior/senior GPA (3.0 overall), 1270 on the GRE, majored in geography and minored in architecture....graduating with honors in a week.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'll be at Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) in the fall for my MUP.

I graduated from Miami U with a 3.68, my GREs weren't as good as I had hoped, but I had an excellent series of internships and good letters and statement.

I had to choose Illinois over Penn and Rutgers for monetary considerations. No regrets though.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Aug 2011, 2:27 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Jun 2008, 9:49 AM
  3. Urban design concentration
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 May 2006, 1:02 PM
  4. Concentration Dilemma