Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What are your additional duties?

Registered
    Oct 2001

What are your additional duties?

What are your additional duties? Every job has at least one additional duty. For some it is unlocking the office first thing in the morning. Some people may be the webmaster, network administrator, copier repair person, Official City Spokesperson, or road grader. Whatever it is let us know.

I am the re-stocker of the Pepsi machine, the webmaster, network administrator, computer repairman, and the only one with a working back when it comes time to move furniture.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'm the office technology guru: need to create a table in MS Word? find the phone number of your 7th cousin in the UK? change your screensaver to something your daughter emailed to you? call kelly. also, i'm apparantly the only one who can put gas in the cruiser. sigh.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I guess one benefit of working in a large organization is that you don't tend to get special duties...

I guess the only "extra" duty I have right now is that I'm the office gopher and file clerk, as we have no AA in our section. I just got back from a jaunt down to head office to pick up some plans for the boss. Nice day for a walk.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Assistant to MIS, Website guy, computer fixer, software advisor.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    dept. web master, and my favorite - native prairie restoration. Not exactly what we learned in school...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    For the first time ever... I have no additional duties (that I'm aware of at least). I think everyone pulls their load around here, such as making coffee, replacing the water bottles, fixing computers, etc. We are a fairly young office (I think the director is in his early 40s and all of the planners are in their mid-20s to low-30s), so most everyone grew up with computers. I have been thinking about taking over the website, because nobody else is updating it and it's driving me crazy.

Unofficially, I have become the "bad news" person (I get to break bad news to developers) and also the US travel guide. Since I'm American, I get a rundown on each employee's upcoming vacation/conference/training session that happens in the States, and then I'm supposed to make suggestions about what to see.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by KMateja
    also, i'm apparantly the only one who can put gas in the cruiser. sigh.
    Oh man... can I ever identify with that! I think when I was in Vancouver, WA, I was one of the few people to ever gas up the cruiser and take it to get washed. The pool cars used to be parked under sycamores or some type of tree that just oozed sap for months. You couldn't get in the car without your clothes, papers, etc, sticking to the outside of the vehicle. Ahhhh... memories!

I am the de-facto technology guy for our building because we don't have an in-house IT person and I am the most tech-savvy person here besides the Chief of Police. Anytime there is something wrong with a computer or someone can't figure something out, I am the person they come to.

I also have to answer the phone when the secretary for Public Works is at lunch or vacation, which wouldn't be too bad except for the fact that 99% of the calls are people whining because their garbage/recycling/brush didn't get picked up. Since we contract out for services, I usually say tell them to call the company or I say to call back if the garbage hasn't been collected by the next day. That way I figure they won't get me on the phone and the secretary can deal with the problem.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am incredibly lucky enough to be in a building separate from nearly all city functions. The local access cable channel is downstairs, and I share the upstairs with the Chamber of Commerce and the Tourism Council. Because we do not have a whole lot of people here, we tend to do almost everything for ourselves. Not a bad set-up.

I do tend to part from my job description to write grants for the city. I also tend the flowers in front of the building - got tired of looking at bare ground in June while the city slowly installed annuals, so I stuck in a bunch of native perennials - coneflower, blazingstar, coreopsis, queen-of-the-prairie, spiderwort and rattlesnakemaster. While most of the city's annuals have struggled, these plants have done pretty well - I just took the pic.

Originally posted by bturk
    dept. web master, and my favorite - native prairie restoration. Not exactly what we learned in school...
    I've been involved in some restoration work myself, we'll have to compare notes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails outside.jpg  

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I guess one benefit of working in a large organization is that you don't tend to get special duties...

Ditto...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I work from home. I guess my additional duty is my job, at least until school begins..

Coffee Chef, amateur techie, information guy, hauler of large cases of copy paper to the copier, GIS Tech, Grant Writer, Environmental Consultant, Playground Assembly Consultant, Consultant to all quasi-governmental agencies and departments, Federal Government Reg. Interpreter. And that was just Monday...

As a one man Planning Department a lot of the tasks that cannot be categorized in other County Departments seem to fall to me. I don't mind doing most of them and consider some of them to be job security.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Aug 2001
    i do a ton of things...i don't really have a distinct job description. my title is "planner" but i do all arcview mapping, maintain the website, submit bids, marketing, decorating the office (hanging up company stuff pretty much)

so i guess my additonal work is usually...eveything else.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I just found out... "firefighting".

Just had one break out in the middle of town. Guess who was first on the scene? Yep... yours truly.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I was the webmaster, but the new Mayor hired a professional (thank God), still fix anything electronic, therapist for every old woman in town, network admin, and what ever else happens to come up.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. New duties
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Jun 2013, 2:42 PM
  2. Variances Administrative duties
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Apr 2013, 10:10 AM
  3. Job duties
    Career Development and Advice