Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: urban planning in a design or policy school? (or USC vs Penn)

Registered
    Mar 2005

urban planning in a design or policy school? (or USC vs Penn)

Does anyone out there have any opinions on how an urban planning program in a design/architecture school ultimately compares with one in a policy school?

To put this into context, I'm trying to decide between USC and Penn, and while Penn clearly wins out in the reputation category, I am unsure if its' traditional strength in the design aspects is what I am looking for. My undergraduate degree was in policy and I maintain a strong interest in causing systemic, not just local changes. Will attending a design based program simply complement my undergraduate background, or will it leave me on loss solid-footing for getting into policy?

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by adavids1
    Does anyone out there have any opinions on how an urban planning program in a design/architecture school ultimately compares with one in a policy school?

To put this into context, I'm trying to decide between USC and Penn, and while Penn clearly wins out in the reputation category, I am unsure if its' traditional strength in the design aspects is what I am looking for. My undergraduate degree was in policy and I maintain a strong interest in causing systemic, not just local changes. Will attending a design based program simply complement my undergraduate background, or will it leave me on loss solid-footing for getting into policy?

I'm also considering USC (see my USC vs UCLA) thread. From my understanding, USC has a broad urban planning curriculum where you'll learn different parts of urban planning. That part leaves me uncertain since i don't want to be a jack of all trades.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hamsuplo
    I'm also considering USC (see my USC vs UCLA) thread. From my understanding, USC has a broad urban planning curriculum where you'll learn different parts of urban planning. That part leaves me uncertain since i don't want to be a jack of all trades.
    Hi, I'm looking to apply to grad schools begining Fall 2006. I'm currently a double major (Urban Planning, and Management Science) with a 3.5 GPA (3.9 Urban Planning Upper Division). I have not taken the GREs yet. But I'm just curious what your scores/gpa were if you don't mind. I would like to know what i would need to score on the GREs to get into schools such as UPENN, USC, Harvard, UCLA etc. Thanks in advance for your help!

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jjunke
    Hi, I'm looking to apply to grad schools begining Fall 2006. I'm currently a double major (Urban Planning, and Management Science) with a 3.5 GPA (3.9 Urban Planning Upper Division). I have not taken the GREs yet. But I'm just curious what your scores/gpa were if you don't mind. I would like to know what i would need to score on the GREs to get into schools such as UPENN, USC, Harvard, UCLA etc. Thanks in advance for your help!
    I know this was not directed at me, but I have what I think is a good answer; others can concur or not.

I figure that even with subpar GRE scores, an otherwise solid record might get you in. But, I am thinking 1200 + and 5.5. or better on the writing section is solid. And I would guess 1100-1200 and over 5 keeps you in the game nicely.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by timbucktwo
    I know this was not directed at me, but I have what I think is a good answer; others can concur or not.

I figure that even with subpar GRE scores, an otherwise solid record might get you in. But, I am thinking 1200 + and 5.5. or better on the writing section is solid. And I would guess 1100-1200 and over 5 keeps you in the game nicely.
    Wow thanks, that helps me out quite a bit.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jjunke
    Wow thanks, that helps me out quite a bit.
    No problem, but I would seek numerous opinions!

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by timbucktwo
    No problem, but I would seek numerous opinions!
    Would you happen to know what they weigh more when considering applications? And also, I know there aren't "rankings" but what would you consider top planning schools?

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by adavids1

I'm also struggling with the same decision. From what I understand, Penn's program has a lot of opportunities for interdisciplinary study. It also seems more rigorous (5 classes per semester). However, Penn doesn't really have a policy school (Fels is small) so that is something to consider.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Sep 2013, 1:11 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Mar 2011, 6:28 PM
  3. Public policy = urban design job?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Aug 2007, 8:22 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Jun 2005, 3:10 PM