Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Other than that, it was a nice night

Other than that, it was a nice night

The family Gedunker awoke to the screech and slam of car on car at 3:00am last night.

The guy managed to total (presumably) my neighbor's Dodge ram pickup truck (the rear axle is 6" out of alignment); my Isuzu rodeo (which now sits in the verge with a flat, smashed in driver's side rear door and leaking fluids); my wife's Honda civic (which is now totally sans it's driver side rear quarter panel and bumbper); and his Chrysler POS. He also caused minor damage to my wife's company vehicle (tire and rim destroyed) and another neighbor's Volvo 240 sedan (rear quarter panel). The boy had to be travelling a good 60mph or more in a posted 30mph. No skid marks until after initial impact.

The cop told us he was whining about wanting the McDonald's in his car because he was hungry. Since he failed the field sobriety test and blew over 0.08, we'll be feeding him breakfast in the county jail. On my tax dollar.

(I just discovered that the U in USB does not really mean universal. I'll try to post pics tomorrow.)
    Batter up!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    That's pretty dramatic....good thing you weren't changing your oil at 3:00 am

I hope the inconveince of no cars isn't too disrupting....good luck.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Man, I'm sorry to hear about that. At times like this insurance doesn't seem like such a bad thing. Be thankful that no one got hurt (especially no 'dunkers got hurt).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Man, I'm sorry to hear about that. At times like this insurance doesn't seem like such a bad thing. Be thankful that no one got hurt (especially no 'dunkers got hurt).
    Echoed.

For a minute there, I thought someone drove through your house!
    Glad no one is hurt.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Where was Ted Nugent when you needed him?

Glad to hear nothing more than property was damaged. How does the insurance work in your state? Up here, it's "no-fault", meaning the $$ to fix the claim is on your policy whether you are at fault in the accident or not.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    WOW!! That is a lot of damage from one car. Echo everyone else on being thankful no one in your family was hurt.
    In another community that I worked for, my secratary at the time told me about two kids (that had also been drinking) ran their car righ into the front of her house in the middle of the night!! No one was hurt but the damage was extensive.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    WOW ... Echo everyone else on being thankful no one in your family was hurt.
    Ditto what she said.

Off-topic:
    AIB Jaxspra
    In my fair city, there was a crash even worse this past week

Vicitim is a 27 yo female "reportedly suffered brain hemorrhaging, a partially collapsed left lung, a ruptured spleen, a fractured pelvis and facial lacerations when a car driven by 18-year-old (male) crashed into her apartment...

(She) was pinned underneath the 1992 black Mercury Cougar, between the front and rear wheels

(He)reportedly had a blood-alcohol level of 0.278 percent...
    he had also smoked marijuana and was planning to smoke more when his car crashed into an apartment...
    "

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Everyone knows by now that I am terrible at this condolences stuff. But I am glad no one was hurt.

Yeah, it's just a couple of vehicles (as opposed to my house) and no one got hurt. Perspective for ya'. Still, I appreciate the nice words. (Now if only I could get out of my planning meeting tonight )

It's the frustration with trying to coordinate two small kids with no wheels (I walked my son to school today and walked to the office as well). But, we can't keep doing that for very long. Then it's the whole settlement thing (neither vehicle was worth much so we're going to be taking on car payments when we shouldn't have to).

Mostly, I'll forever be afraid of parking the car on the street again.

Oh, and Tranny: although Indiana is a no-fault state, if he's convicted of dui, it'll be on his back completely as I understand the law.
    Batter up!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Someone ploughed into the telephone pole in front of my house growing up. I think I was in 6th grade. Certainly, I was in elementary school. The electrical wires landed across the top of the car and around it. I don't recall if the car was damaged but it certainly couldn't be driven to come get me. I don't remember now if I just walked home or if my mom walked to come meet me. The woman also ran over our mailbox. My dad tore up the settlement check like 3 times, without opening the envelope -- thinking it was advertising from an insurance company. Maybe it was just money for the fence and mailbox.

About 6 months after I arrived up here in the Bay Area, I had hardly driven anywhere since arriving since I was so sick. We had agreed to sell one of our cars. One morning, a tree fell in the parking lot due to the winds.... on the car we had planned to keep. I decided that it was A Sign From God as to which car we were meant to get rid of and I cashed the insurance check and sold what was left of it for a few hundred dollars (it was still drivable -- mostly had the back windshield busted).

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Ditto what she said.

Off-topic:
    AIB Jaxspra
    In my fair city, there was a crash even worse this past week

Vicitim is a 27 yo female "reportedly suffered brain hemorrhaging, a partially collapsed left lung, a ruptured spleen, a fractured pelvis and facial lacerations when a car driven by 18-year-old (male) crashed into her apartment...

(She) was pinned underneath the 1992 black Mercury Cougar, between the front and rear wheels

(He)reportedly had a blood-alcohol level of 0.278 percent...
    he had also smoked marijuana and was planning to smoke more when his car crashed into an apartment...
    "
    geeezzz....must have been smoking to stop the nausea from all that alcohol...oh wait, smoking while intoxicated makes you spin more just kidding, I wouldn't know anything about that
    And on a more serious note, that is really horrible, I cannot imagine being asleep in my own home and something liek that happening to me. Thank goodness I sleep on the second floor of my house...

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Same here. Glad no one was hurt. Let me guess, to make the matter worse the person didn't have insurance either. If they do, it won't be for much longer.

Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner
    Same here. Glad no one was hurt. Let me guess, to make the matter worse the person didn't have insurance either. If they do, it won't be for much longer.
    He told the cop he did have insurance but couldn't produce it from the glove box as the air-bags had deployed. Of course, the kid asked me if I had full coverage. I told him it didn't matter: he would be paying. Also just learned that he is being charged with felony OUI, meaning this is at least a second offense. Also, his family has called the pd and suggested he needs some time in the hoosegow to get him to wake up. Kid's got a long, hard life in front of him...
    Batter up!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Yeesh. And didn't you get the Rodeo up and running not too long ago? What a good thing no one got hurt. And the nerve of the kid, asking if you had full coverage. Hmph.
    And what's OUI?
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Mar 2005

Ok, one more test there dollar menu guy...

What a dumb@$$.

Happy to hear it was just your personal property and tax dollars that were wasted by that pissed idiot.
    Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.

Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    Yeesh. And didn't you get the Rodeo up and running not too long ago? What a good thing no one got hurt. And the nerve of the kid, asking if you had full coverage. Hmph.
    And what's OUI?
    The kid is pretty nervy alright. He said much the same to other owners last night.

The same Rodeo. Just sunk $5300 into a new engine and it has less than 500 miles on it since I got it back.

Down here we use OUI for Operating Under the Influence.
    Batter up!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Down here we use OUI for Operating Under the Influence.
    I'm sorry officer. I was operating this here waffle iron while intoxciated....take me away.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I send my deepest condolences in regards to the loss of your vehicles....
    arrgh.. i had an image here, then realize it was animiated.

Wish we could have exchanged vehicles for that brief moment last night.. mine can use a good bit of being totaled.

Mendelman, operating under the influence. "Scapel?"
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Off-topic:

I'm sorry officer. I was operating this here waffle iron while intoxciated....take me away.
    Thanks! I need a good laugh.
    Batter up!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Well a big "That Just Sucks" to you and yours. I have had to many things happen to car on the street. If there is any way I can get them off the street I do.

I am just waiting for someone to plow though our fence and into our house. The north south street dead ends into our yard they say it has happened in the past I look for it to happen again, but my cars are in the back.

In my wreck a few years back, I was only a few months from pay off and looking forward to no payments, No one seems to undersatnd how irritating that is.
    Best of luck to you!!!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Wow, and I thought things were bad when I blew out a tire today, just before a tire store... (There were 3 other people who had the same thing happen because of stuff in the road)

I am glad that no one was hurt! Were all the cars right next to each other or something? I am just trying to figure out how that much damage could be done, and the guy did not need to be taken to the hospital.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Geez... that really does suck. Glad to know that no one was injured, including burger craving drunkard.

Have you paused and thought that this, combined with your other car related troubles, might just be the God’s way of saying he’s displeased with your Rodeo.

Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Have you paused and thought that this, combined with your other car related troubles, might just be the God’s way of saying he’s displeased with your Rodeo.
    Yup. I have somehow defiled a mighty deity that dislikes Indiana-built Japanese automobiles. And after this one: mark my words -- no more Isuzus. Period.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Were all the cars right next to each other or something? I am just trying to figure out how that much damage could be done, and the guy did not need to be taken to the hospital.
    He was driving at a very high rate of speed. My neighbors and I have begun to think he may have been travelling more than 60mph, perhaps as fast as 80mph. Because he did not push each vehicle into the next. He HIT each one independently. He pushed my wife's Honda 35' with the parking brake engaged and the car right up against the curb. And it was the FOURTH vehicle he hit.

FWIW: he did complain of pain and was taken to the hospital for check-up. The responding cop had to stay with him which is why I don't yet have a police report. Hopefully tomorrow.
    Batter up!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Nice to meet you!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Aug 2010, 2:55 PM
  2. Have a nice trip!!!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Aug 2010, 8:45 AM
  3. Nice to be here