Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Market/public space under elevated highway

Registered
    Apr 2005

Market/public space under elevated highway

Hi all,
    Just wondering could anyone help, Iím currently completing a project proposing a market and public space in a site under elevated highways. I have tried to researched developments of this nature, or any form recreation occurring in such a space but I have not found much. I would appreciate any information any one may have that may be of help.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    You might check these threads:
    Public space under bridges?
    and
    Land under Flyovers

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by 123456
    Hi all,
    Just wondering could anyone help, Iím currently completing a project proposing a market and public space in a site under elevated highways. I have tried to researched developments of this nature, or any form recreation occurring in such a space but I have not found much. I would appreciate any information any one may have that may be of help.
    Check out http://milwaukeepublicmarket.org/. This is under construction right now adjacent to an elevated highway in the CBD of Milwaukee, WI - USA. Also you might try looking for some articles about this in the city's newspaper (jsonline.com). Good Luck.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I seem to recall seeing situations like this. Although I think it might have been elevated rail tracks. Also, these instances were in NY and London where land is of course at a premium. Where are you located?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Paris, France installed new live work and workshop space underneath a viaduct, I believe? I've always thought this might be an alternative to tearing down every freeway.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Not sure you need to look any further than what they've done under the West Way in London.

Queensboro Bridge

The 59th Street (Queensboro Bridge) in New York is a beautiful example of use of the underside of a bridge. Here is a web link: http://www.graciano.com/queensboro.htm
    Of course it's well located and has great arches.

Registered
    Mar 2005

hear hear

Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Paris, France installed new live work and workshop space underneath a viaduct, I believe? I've always thought this might be an alternative to tearing down every freeway.
    If architects, who think they're so damn smart, instead of wasting time figuring out new ways to 'bend' and 'racture' buildings around fanciful shapes used their intellect to come up with ways to have really quite useful freeways that do not 'rape' their surroundings and create space beneath adn aroudn them it would be great. But no, let's just psoture. The Westway in London (London's only freeway taht really gets well into the urban fabric, is in msot spots a divider. Interestingly, in the few plaes where street-level connectivity has been maintained, there are some of London's liveliest neighborhoods (I'm thiunking Portobello Road, etc.).
    Life and death of great pattern languages

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Sep 2009, 7:30 PM
  2. Replies: 58
    Last post: 19 Dec 2008, 11:45 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 04 Jan 2005, 10:11 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Mar 2004, 12:53 AM
  5. Public space under bridges?