Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: An Unusual Mix of Uses

     
    Registered
    Apr 1997

An Unusual Mix of Uses

I am dealing with a developer who wants to amend our zoning regs to allow a mix of gas station/convenience (street level) and high-end residential condominiums on the same site (second level and above). I have already spoken to our fire marshall and building official and they say it can be done. I personally think he'll have a hard time marketing the condos, but I'll let him worry about that issue.

I know this is not uncommon in Europe but can not think of any examples in North America. Has anyone out there dealt with such an animal? Maybe NYC planners? Do you have any performance standards or special use criteria established?

Any info or leads are appreciated.

Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In Ann Arbor, MI, there is an eight story mixed use structure being built adjacent to an Amoco gas station. There will be ground floor retail, offices, and condos at the top. It's on the southwest corner of South Main and William. Check out the pic three posts down.

The gas station is in the center of the pic, but if you look to the left, you can see the north and east facades with its red brick and ground floor white stone facade. This is the Ashely Mews project and is owned by the DTE Energy Company. The pic is from a class project of mine and I think the juxtaposition between that building and the gas station is rather interesting. I hope this helps you out. Good luck!
    Last edited by Wannaplan?; 28 Sep 2001 at 4:56 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Alan, is that you? I knew I sent that link out for a reason!

By the way, the building he is talking about also incorporates a series of townhomes and some public space, very hip, very urban, and a good model to follow.

Zak

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hey Metroplanner, yep, it's moi, Alan. How is life in Northville? Here's the pic from the Ashley Mews project I mentioned in an above post:

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Work is fine, I still live in A2, though, with Corey. I bet you knew that, though. Got tons going at the firm, trying to tidy up some master plan stuff in a community up north, taking up lots of time right now.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Unusual travel souvenir
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 25 Jul 2014, 4:43 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Dec 2011, 1:20 PM
  3. Unusual Units of Measure
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 10 Sep 2010, 8:27 PM