Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: The Make-up thread

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061

    The Make-up thread

    I threw all my cosmetics out 4 years or so ago when I was so sick. I have heard of women losing an eye from infected cosmetics so I figured that was the only prudent thing to do, under the circumstances. Yesterday, I bought lipstick and a couple of other things. It is very weird, trying on make-up after not owning any for so long. Just putting on lipstick made me feel "all dolled up like a trollop" -- total head trip. Clearly, I am overreacting.

    So, I am wondering:
    What do women here wear to the office to look polished but not "on the prowl"?

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,820
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    So, I am wondering:
    What do women here wear to the office to look polished but not "on the prowl"?
    Earth tones for blush and eyeshadow so it's kind of subdued.

  3. #3
         
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,519
    I don't wear makeup to the office regularly. If I have a meeting or a televised evening meeting I wear foundation, neutral blush, mascara and lip gloss (usually chap stick)...I wear make-up when out during the evening but rarely in the office.

  4. #4
    Cyburbian JNL's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    2,447
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I wear make-up when out during the evening but rarely in the office.
    Same here - I don't usually wear makeup to work. I don't own foundation any more as I can't be bothered with it. I can never get lipstick to stay on more than 20 minutes. I almost always wear lip gloss though and will wear a little eye makeup and blush if going out in the evening.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Who cares.
    Posts
    1,038
    Bathe regularly, make sure clothes aren't wrinkled and/or dirty, and that they match. Get a good hair cut every 6 weeks or so and put stuff in hair to make it "behave". Wear tinted lip stuff (favorites: Kiehl's Lip Balm, Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer, and Clinique Black Honey). That's about it. I'm a low-maintenance girl. Maybe mascara, but my eyelashes are pretty black anyway, and it doesn't seem to make much difference. Maybe tinted moisterizer if I haven't been sleeping.
    I don't dream. I plan.

  6. #6
    I guess I am higher maintenance...I wear moisturizer, foundation, cover-up, powder, eye shadow (2 or 3 colors, but in neutral earth tones), mascara (my light-red eyelashes look funny if left alone), lip liner, lipstick, lip gloss, blush (earth tones), and I think that is it. Sometimes eyeliner, but not very often. I don't think it looks like a lot of makeup....

  7. #7
         
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,519
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Same here - I don't usually wear makeup to work. I don't own foundation any more as I can't be bothered with it. I can never get lipstick to stay on more than 20 minutes. I almost always wear lip gloss though and will wear a little eye makeup and blush if going out in the evening.
    I hate foundation!! Especially in the winter as I put a cream colored turtle neck sweater over my head ew does it ever pi$$ me off to see a beige stain on the collar of my favorite sweater 5 minutes before I walk out the door for work!!!!

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    4,468
    I wear makeup every day, but I go for the natural look. I skip blush and eye shadow because not only do I not have the time to bother with it in the mornings, I don't really know how to apply it properly.

    If there's a must-have cosmetic then I would say it's concealer.....gotta cover up the dark circles.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Plus Salmissra's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    4,163
    For work:

    moisterizer
    concealer/coverup
    powder base (no liquid foundation!)
    eyeshadow (neutral and light)
    something on my lips - usually lip balm, sometimes lipstick
    on Commission days - definately lipstick

    For play:

    same as above, but add:
    eyeliner
    lipstick
    sometimes mascara

    I don't own blush, liquid foundation or anything for my eyebrows.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327
    I couldn't wait to open this thread. With the teaser title I figured Michele Zone was doing her part to quell the occasional post-fighting that goes on whenever certain topics are touched.

    A chance for all of us to "make up".

    Alas, all may be lost. (Bear kicks dog.) It's about cosmetics. What a jip.

    Bear Now Looking For Cat
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  11. #11
    Cyburbian GISgal's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    277
    I don't wear any makeup on a regular basis. But if is for a meeting. I wear foundation, powder, blush, and mascara.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    I couldn't wait to open this thread. With the teaser title I figured Michele Zone was doing her part to quell the occasional post-fighting that goes on whenever certain topics are touched.

    A chance for all of us to "make up".

    Alas, all may be lost. (Bear kicks dog.) It's about cosmetics. What a jip.

    Bear Now Looking For Cat
    Bear, my deepest, sincerest apologies. I meant no offense. In fact, because this is so very sexist (to ask a "ladies only" question), I did consider making it a dual-meaning title so the guys could participate.

    Can we and make-up now?




    EDIT: And let me add, so I don't have to appologize to the ladies who have kindly posted so far, that I find it interesting that some folks wear little to no make-up. I never wore much make-up. I am allergic to a lot of things and I have "high coloring" -- which is a polite euphism for "your lips and eyes and dark hair stand out starkly against your vampirically pale skin and when you blush, it is like a beacon that could be seen from a mile away" . For that reason, I have been asked a few times if I was wearing lipstick when I wasn't. When I was younger, I would wear eye-liner and lipstick sometimes and for dressing up I would add blush, mascara, and eye shadow. I never really needed foundation. I had fine porcelain skin. On top of not really needing make-up when I was younger, my mom was very hung-up about the whole thing and discouraged me from using it, learning anything about it etc. So, although I was a decent artist when I was a teen, I have never mastered the art of painting my fingernails.

  13. #13
         
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,519
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Bear, my deepest, sincerest apologies. I meant no offense. In fact, because this is so very sexist (to ask a "ladies only" question), I did consider making it a dual-meaning title so the guys could participate.

    Can we and make-up now?




    EDIT: And let me add, so I don't have to appologize to the ladies who have kindly posted so far, that I find it interesting that some folks wear little to no make-up. I never wore much make-up. I am allergic to a lot of things and I have "high coloring" -- which is a polite euphism for "your lips and eyes and dark hair stand out starkly against your vampirically pale skin and when you blush, it is like a beacon that could be seen from a mile away" . For that reason, I have been asked a few times if I was wearing lipstick when I wasn't. When I was younger, I would wear eye-liner and lipstick sometimes and for dressing up I would add blush, mascara, and eye shadow. I never really needed foundation. I had fine porcelain skin. On top of not really needing make-up when I was younger, my mom was very hung-up about the whole thing and discouraged me from using it, learning anything about it etc. So, although I was a decent artist when I was a teen, I have never mastered the art of painting my fingernails.
    Can't do nail polish either It starts chipping a day or two after I paint them. Went through a phase (a couple of times) havig tips on my nails, liked them but way too mch maintenance. Now the one girly thing I do, do and LOVE to do is get pedicures...moms a hairdresser so don't pay for that...all the $$ I would spend on those things goes into clothes and purses...those are my "girly" downfalls

  14. #14
    Cyburbian Rumpy Tunanator's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Intervention
    Posts
    4,475
    Who we making up with
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."


    Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

  15. #15
    Cyburbian urbanchik's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    120
    I love to wear makeup! I love changing my look with the seasons and even my moods. When I have a big meeting or I am exhausted and need a pick me up, I feel immediately more confident when I know I am looking fabulous. I dont use a lot, just a little of everything. I dont have beautiful skin, so foundation is a must. But I choose a color closest to my skin tone so it isnt noticeable. A little blush at the cheekbones, rubbed in to look natural as if I was just in the sun. A little eyeliner above the top eyelashes and below the bottom ones - never in the eye or right on the lid so it doesnt bother my eyes. A little eyeshadow, but just a dusting. Mascara is a must, even though I have long lashes. It draws attention to the eyes. And lipstick, though it never lasts long but sure looks great.

    I never used to be into makeup until I got a makeover at a department store and found a product that I liked. Maybe try Prescriptives - I think they have hyopallergenic products. There are a few others I cant name off the top of my head. Anyway, make an appointment, should be free, and be sure to wear an outfit that you would typically wear to work. I think this helps them give you a look that is more "you".

    Good luck!
    urbanchik

  16. #16
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Can't do nail polish either It starts chipping a day or two after I paint them. Went through a phase (a couple of times) havig tips on my nails, liked them but way too mch maintenance. Now the one girly thing I do, do and LOVE to do is get pedicures...moms a hairdresser so don't pay for that...all the $$ I would spend on those things goes into clothes and purses...those are my "girly" downfalls
    I paint them like a retarded 5 year old doing finger paints or something. It never looks sleek, etc. You would never guess I used to do water paints and pastels and such.

    Rumpy, I bet there are lots of folks you could make up with.

  17. #17
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,866

    This is a fun one...

    Hee hee...

    I wear hot pink lipstick when I go to community input workshops.


  18. #18
    Cyburbian Plus PlannerGirl's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    4,604
    I wear full make up (sans mascara cos I hate the crap) but its all soft and neutral looking. Nails are manicured but with again a clear or soft simi transparent cream color. I keep my hair mosty pulled back and only bling with one nice watch and single pearl ear rings. No rings, no clunky stuff-nada

    Understated is the key
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

    Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

  19. #19
    Cyburbian clare2582's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Jamestown, New York
    Posts
    193
    I go through phases.... some weeks I'm faboo, some I look like a scary monster. At the very least I wear mascara, but often I wear eyeliner and shadow too. And concealer if my under-eye circles are super bad. My cheeks are naturally very rosy, so blush really isn't as flattering as it could be. No foundation here, EEEEEEEEWWW. It just grosses me out. Once and a while I do the lipstick thing. I'm pretty low maintenance for work, but as I like to say, I'm "medium maintenance" for going out/doing other things. I just can't be bothered some mornings to spend all that time in front of the mirror putting on make up.

    But I have been known to be a few minutes late for work because I couldn't get my hair just right.

    Its also pretty amazing when I look back... when I first started here I was perfectly groomed every moment of the day. Now, however, I come in some mornings wearing the frumpiest thing I own, half-awake, with frizzy hair. Awwww, I guess it just means that I'm comfortable with all my co-workers. Feel the love.

  20. #20
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,703
    When I did that civic production last fall I had to wear make up for my character and NO ONE helped me out by putting it on or even told me how to.....so, I figured out by myself you had to put the foundation on first. and then that red stuff on your cheeks and also found out you have to keep at least one eye open while using that pencil thing around your eyes or you'll end up stabbing yourself in the eye (you can stab yourself in the eye even if you do keep 'em open).
    I found out that foundation is a good thing. I have perpetual dark circles under my eyes from sleep deprivation and once I had foundation on, for the first time in my life I no longer looked like a raccoon! Guys should wear makeup more often on a daily basis.
    And another thing - isn't it inconvenient for guys not being able to carry more things around (you know - beef jerkey, chewing tobacco, keys, power tools)? I kinda wish I had like a convenient bag to hold all the items I need to carry around. I'm concerned, though, that I may not be able to find a bag that matches my hair and complection. And if anyone's got an idea of how I might look taller, thanks in advance.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  21. #21
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Trying to get out of the icebox....
    Posts
    13,306
    If two women are standing next to each other and look just about the same other than one is wearing makeup (but not too much) I will go up and talk to her first every time. I guess I am more drawn to a woman who is girly and gets dolled up.

    The current GF has been wearing more makeup since we have started dating. Needless to say, I am not complaining.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

  22. #22
    Cyburbian Queen B's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2003
    Location
    "Somewhere in the middle"
    Posts
    3,172
    I wear foundation in the winter, two shades of eye shadow, eye liner pencil, mascara and long wearing lipstick.

    In the summer I will skip the foundation once I get a bit of color from the sun.

    Lipstick once in the morning and then that is it for the day.

    If I am just staying home, make up...no way!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

  23. #23
    Cyburbian RandomPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dibs on the Northeast
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Understated is the key
    That is one thing I have never been able to pull off - understated.

    Now, I work for a pretty rural conservative county, so I try to keep my hair pulled back, light makeup (but always eyeshadow, mascara and lip gloss), and something fairly conservative in dress. But the jewelry...that's where I feel I can show a bit of creativity. Huge rings and necklaces, always wear a great silver thumb ring, and with open toed shoe season now starting to be in swing, I always wear a small toe ring.

    (too much?)
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

  24. #24
    Cyburbian Plus PlannerGirl's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    4,604
    I think Id get canned for toe rings and the like. Here is hose, no open toed shoes etc. I want people to interact with me and see me not as a "young female" but a as professional and I try damn hard to put forth the professional look. The way I see it so many folks already judge women in planning why give them amo?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

    Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

  25. #25
    Cyburbian RandomPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dibs on the Northeast
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    And another thing - isn't it inconvenient for guys not being able to carry more things around (you know - beef jerkey, chewing tobacco, keys, power tools)? I kinda wish I had like a convenient bag to hold all the items I need to carry around. I'm concerned, though, that I may not be able to find a bag that matches my hair and complection. And if anyone's got an idea of how I might look taller, thanks in advance.
    LOL!!!
    Because of the size and weight of your stuff, you might want to try a large carry-all. But with an abundance of power tools, maybe try a small piece of luggage, preferrably with a handle and wheels...this will also to elongate your body and make you look taller!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 13 Jan 2011, 1:17 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last post: 17 May 2003, 2:30 AM