Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why the priest with glasses on EWTN is going to HELL!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Why the priest with glasses on EWTN is going to HELL!

I'm flipping through the channels, and pass by EWTN, a conservative Catholic television network. The channel is showing aservice of some sort, and with all the news about things papal in recent weeks, I watched for a few minutes. The camera was fixated on some communion wafers,while Latin prayers were spoken in the background.

Finally, the camera zooms out, showing a priest making various ritual motions; signs of the cross, bowing, foling his hands together, and other prayerobic moves. He then picks up a wafer, puts it in his mouth, and starts CHEWING IT, chomping away at the body of Christ like it's cheap beef jerky.

I went to a Catholic elementary school, and learned that some of the things that would earn instant damnation to Hell included murder, incest, rape, and chewing the host while taking communion.

If that wasn't enough, the priest then picks up a wine-filled chalice, lifts it up, and starts sipping ... and sipping ... and sipping. His adams apple is bobbing up and down, so it's not just a mere slurp ... he's chugging the blood of Christ. Considering that he's already damned, downing sacramental wine like a frat boy downing Milwaukee's Best at quarter draft night certainly won't help.

So, to all the knowledgeable Catholics on Cyburbia - why can a priest chew the host, but now the lowly laypeople? Or ... did this bespectacled shepherd really just damn himseld to the 666th sub-basement of Dante's Inferno?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Did he belch, too? That would be the kicker...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The more serious question for catholics on the Board is: How could the Cardinals choose a Pope with...such a scary thumb (scroll down) www.patriotboy.blogspot.com

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Dan, you are correct. He is indeed damned for his eternal life.

The only way to truely take communion is to leave the host in your mouth as long as possible. And to avoid salivating and show your friends the host on your tongue an hour after church in religion class.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2003
    Dan: I was never taught that. Maybe it's just a Buffalo thing?

BTW: EWTN sucks.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    chomping away at the body of Christ like it's cheap beef jerky.
    (snip)
    chugging like a frat boy downing Milwaukee's Best at quarter draft night.
    Not being raised Catholic I know little about communion protocall, but I do believe Dan you have a gift for simile and metaphor. Thanks for the snarf!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2001
    jordonb, maybe it's a polish/slavic catholic thing. My catholic parish also taught that it was sinful to take communion by hand. Chewing the host is right out. You let it dissolve and then swalllow.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    Chewing the host is right out. You let it dissolve and then swalllow.
    Oh, that must explain the last 4 years of medical hell. No one told me.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Hmm..I gone to Catholic schools from 1st grade through college and I've never heard of this. Very interesting.
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our kids were told during first communion prep that they should chew the host. I thinks that's practical; it eliminates the host gluing itself to the roof of your mouth.

What I don't completely understand is that if you drop a host, you should pick it off the floor and chew it anyway. Thankfully, dirty-boot farmers don't attend my church.

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- Yeah I go to a Polish church and I've noticed that many of the Poles don't take it in their hands.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I don't remember being told that you could NOT chew the host, but I don't anyway. I let it dissolve then maybe chew once to help break it, but I certainly don't go the beef jerky route.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Well, I can definately defend chugging the wine, because I have had to do it in the past. As a Eucharistic Minister, I know that you can not pour extra wine (holy blood) that is not consumed down the drain. It must be consumed during the mass. So, he was just consuming the extra wine. There is almost always extra wine, since you'd rather have too much than too little. But if there is a lot of extra, you'll see the priests and ministers consuming it. It seems "greedy", but is really being reverential since the wine (holy blood) can not be "thrown away".

As for the host (body), some hosts are made of a bread that does not dissolve easily, especially if you have a dry mouth condition. This kind of host can really dry up your mouth if you don't really chew it up. And, with a dried out mouth, it would be difficult for the priest to give the closing prayer at the end of mass. Given that a priest has to perform during mass, it is understandable that he would need to chew it.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    At the Lutheran church I attend we are served a wafer (or occasionally actual bread) we are then suppossed to hold onto it until the wine comes around in a challice and then dip it in it and then eat it. Occasionally people will eat the wafer and then drink out of the challice, but that seems rather unsanitary. Its been a long time since I've seen the little shot glasses for the wine.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Joe's answer is on the money. I was a Eucharistic Minister when I worked at a Catholic Summer Camp, and my mom is a EM now.....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Joe's answer is on the money. I was a Eucharistic Minister when I worked at a Catholic Summer Camp, and my mom is a EM now.....
    So, where is my prize? What do I get?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    So, where is my prize? What do I get?
    Broken Saltines and a shot of grape juice from the Baptist church down the street.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Broken Saltines and a shot of grape juice from the Baptist church down the street.
    HA! Hilarious!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    HA! Hilarious!
    I've never understood the argument from hardcore teetotalling Baptists that the sacramental wine was "really grape juice." In a hot climate with no refirgeration and a long tradition of viticulture?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I've never understood the argument from hardcore teetotalling Baptists that the sacramental wine was "really grape juice." In a hot climate with no refirgeration and a long tradition of viticulture?
    Having been raised as a Southern Baptist, neither do I. Frankly, I’m surprised I didn’t get kicked out of Sunday school class years ago for asking the same question. Thankfully, the “godless” Episcopal Church that I last attended with any regularity had no such hang-ups. Even if they held the host and dipped it in the “blood” before partaking.

What strikes me as odd with the Baptist faith is that the Eucharist seems to be the only part of the Bible that they take as metaphor. (Just to note: I do agree with their concept of free will and salvation upon “adult” decision.)

Seems like cherry picking in my view.
    Last edited by biscuit; 23 Apr 2005 at 2:31 AM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. about wine glasses (for RJ)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 27 Jun 2009, 11:12 AM
  2. Confide with me (I'm not a priest)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 86
    Last post: 12 Oct 2007, 10:48 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Nov 2005, 7:47 PM