Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A cultural approach for design?

Registered
    Mar 2005

A cultural approach for design?

Hi everybody!
    I am working in a project which is related with use of public spaces but we are relating it with people´s cultural scope, in terms of how people of different cultures use public spaces and to see if they can influence the design of them.
    I already made an inventary and a survey with people involved, literature research has been also conducted (pedestrian behavior), but if someone of you have worked with this before, or have some ideas related to this issue they are welcome!

Thanks

Cheers,
    Daisy

pd: the ethnic cultural background of people is dutch, caribbean, people from Surinam, Turkey and Moroco, small group of latin americans.

Registered
    Mar 2005

suggestion

Hey. I would emphasize the commonality of uses/views, rather than go on about how surinamese people sue public space differently from Turks. After all, back hoem they probably keep chickens in public space but that would hardly be possible in the low countries.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Interessenting subject. I might have some titles on that, maybe even in Dutch.

Can you pm or e-mail me some more information?

Registered
    Nov 2003
    One manifestation of the phenomenon as it appears in the USA: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17184

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Maarten

At the moment I am working on it, but you can take a look to this web site which also has good information on how culture can be inserted in public domain
    www.imagineic.nl

Cheers,
    Daisy

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Look for the essay 'Een plaats tussen weefsel en netwerk', by Fred Feddes, online via KEI-centrum: http://www.kei-centrum.nl/index.cfm?...6B56_undefined
    (to be found in the book: Denkboek voor de cultuurimpuls ISV)

Very inspiring about the use of culture in spatial policy is also Hans Mommaas' article "De culturele dimensie van de ruimte". You can find both a summary and the full version on http://www.transformaties.org/Levende_stad/mommaas.htm.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the links, I will check them out!.....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 Apr 2011, 5:49 PM
  2. Design approach schools
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Nov 2009, 4:42 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Oct 2005, 5:37 PM
  4. new approach in prison design
    Design, Space, and Place