Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rooftop mechanical equipment screening

Registered
    Dec 2001

Rooftop mechanical equipment screening

Our code requires all mechanical, HVAC, electrical, etc to be screened. How? It doesn't say. Therefore, anything is game. A disgusting practice here has been to screen mechanicals on rooftops with fencing.. stockade, shadowbox, and even slatted chain link. Technically, it meets code and the intent. Practically, it looks like ****.

I know that raising parapets is a good way to screen the rooftop equipment and avoid the fence issue. Are there any other solutions I can encourage?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    One possibility is to require that it "...not be visible from the property line" (or some distance). You might also sepcify that the screening material be integral/similar character to the architecture/building materials or specify parapet walls, etc.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We require mechanicals to be screened as viewed from all property lines, but like you, we don't have any standards beyond that. We've been fortunate that no one has tried to cheap it out by putting up a wood or vinyl fence (yet). I wish we could put further standards in our ordinance.
    You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Require green roofs! I hate when they use fencing. It does look like s***. Green roofs have insulating value and make the whole roof look better from above. Fencing doesn't do squat if there are taller buildings or bldgs at higher elevations around.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    We require that rooftop mechanical units be "screened from public view" however, every single exterior change on any commercial structure is required to go through site plan review, therefore, we leave it up to the PZ Commission to determine what sort of screning method/material is used...we don't see fences anymore unless it is an existing structure, sometimes thats all you can do with an existing building (or something that is complimentary to the structure....all new construction is required to be screened by a parapet.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 02 Sep 2010, 5:55 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 06 Mar 2007, 8:01 PM
  3. Recording Equipment
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Jul 2005, 8:11 AM
  4. Parking Mechanical parking elevators
    Land Use and Zoning