Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vacation in Fla

Registered
    Mar 2002

Vacation in Fla

Ok guys i got 2 weeks and i fly to Orlando for a few days stress and anger (isnt that sad?)

Anyway I gotta drive to Naples from MCO ideas on the best way?

Nice CHEAP* things to do in Orlando that Aug 31-Sep 2?

Thanks all
    D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Re: Vacation in Fla

Originally posted by PlannerGirl

Nice CHEAP* things to do in Orlando that Aug 31-Sep 2?
    Yeah... Dan!

(sorry, but you must have seen that one coming!!!!!)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Doh!

no i missed that actualy-fussing over rental cars and such

grrrr getting up at 4am for "vacation" sucks
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001

wink wink nudge nudge

What's a six pack, a shower curtain and a gallon of olive oil go for now days?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ewwwww I dont drink beer!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'll send you an e-mail. I'm still discovering the place, too ... living in a tourist town, I'm only beginning to scratch the surface.

Orlando is probably the factory outlet shopping center of the world. Cheap diversions as far as nightlife ... well, it's like any other city. Shopping, though ... you'll go nuts. There's also one retailer that's the world's largest store of its type, over at 1740 North Orange Blossom Trail.

I'll buy ya' dinner. Just don't hurt me, okay?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Wow dinner with Dan? why not! *hush Tranplanner*

I dont like to shop-yes i know how un-girly

i dont want to make this trip!

D

Registered
    Jun 2002
    As far as the drive, I think that the easiest way for you to go is to go I-4 over to Tampa, and then south to Naples. This might take like 2 1/2 hours or maybe 3. There may be a more direct path there, but it would be down some small back roads (kinda scary!).

As far as things to do in Orlando, all the hotels there are cheap in the summertime. Find a place over by Church street downtown and go grab some drinks around there.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Thanks i got a place to say while im there-friend lives there but he will be working 90% of the time.

Ive been to orlando a couple of times-my dad and sis lived in metro west for a while

did the disney thing-FUN but wayyyy too costly on this budget

hey whats the cuban district of Tampa? GOOD food! maybe ill stop there on my way back to orlando.

i hate weddings
    gggggrrrrrrr

Registered
    Nov 2001

Plannergirl and Dan...

Keep me posted on where to go, especially the nightlife...I will be in Orlando in October...

I am thinking I'll go to Epcot and begin drinking at an English pub and wake up naked in a Japanese temple clutching a bottle of plum wine...that should be good for two days of fun...
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Epcot was nice-dont bore yourself with the exibits near the front gate-dull but hit the countires. such great food, gifts, hidden picture spots and fun rides (check out the Viking ride)

bring lots of film for the camara-it is much more photogenic than the Magic Kingdom.

D

Registered
    Apr 2002

Things to do in Orlando

A few ideas that can be economical, and help avoid the mass tourist places:
    Leu Botanical Gardens--quiet place to stroll and see naitive plant species.
    Winter Park, which is just NE of Orlando has a very quaint, "Old Florida" main street called Park Avenue. It's a great place to window shop, but the shopping is mostly high-end gallery type stuff. This could become an expensive option if you decide to buy. Rollins College, at the end of Park Avenue has a chapel with numerous Tiffany stained glass windows, and a small, but nice art museum.
    Rent a boat and sail on one of the numerous lakes in the area.
    Is "Gatorland" still around? When I was a kid, it epitomized the cheesy pre-Disney tourist attractions of central Florida. It was very tacky, but good tacky. Dan, does it still exist?

Registered
    Jun 2002
    Cuban Dist in Tampa is called Ybor City. It's not directly accessible off of the highway, but if you stop anywhere near downtown into a gas station and get directions, it's not hard to find. Although the surrounding neighborhood can get kinda scary at night. There is a lot of stuff to do there though.

Ybor in Tampa, Church St. Dist in Orlando, you can go out and get some food and drinks and not have to do the whole theme park thing and break the bank.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. On my own...for vacation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 08 Mar 2013, 7:48 PM
  2. Vacation 'styles'
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 09 Apr 2012, 8:00 PM
  3. Giff's Vacation
    Friday Afternoon Club