Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mandatory Dog Walking

Registered
    Aug 1997

Mandatory Dog Walking

Does this law go too far? I love the idea of every dog getting such regular exercise, and it's probably good for the owner, too (assuming they do the walking). But, does this delve too deeply into legislating good behavior. Would the council consider mandating 5 servings of veggie per day? That's good for you, too.

Thoughts?

Turin law: Walk your dog 3 times a day -- or be fined
    Monday, April 25, 2005 Posted: 4:35 AM EDT (0835 GMT)

ROME, Italy (Reuters) -- Dog owners in Turin will be fined up to $650 if they don't walk their pets at least three times a day, under a new law from the city's council.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Anytime I see a law like this, I find myself asking "Doesn't the City have something better to worry about?"

This is also where my libertarian side rears its head a little and says "it's none of your business."

I would love to see them police this as well. [sarcasm] Because that's what I want my police worrying about: dog walking -- not the little things like child molesters, theft of property, domestic violence... I want them worrying about whether Fido has a trim waistline. [/sarcasm]

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Anytime I see a law like this, I find myself asking "Doesn't the City have something better to worry about?"

This is also where my libertarian side rears its head a little and says "it's none of your business."

I would love to see them police this as well. [sarcasm] Because that's what I want my police worrying about: dog walking -- not the little things like child molesters, theft of property, domestic violence... I want them worrying about whether Fido has a trim waistline. [/sarcasm]
    Historical note: The Humane Society was founded before any kind of child protective anything at all was established in America. In fact, later child protective stuff was modeled on The Humane Society's guidelines for how to treat pets.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Yeah, that would be funny to see how they could effectivly implement this. Though I think the old East German nation under the Stazi could have pulled it off. Unoficial estimates that as high as 1 of 4 people were informants on thier nieghbors.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

While I would advocate for walking your dog - or having your dog walked - I think that requiring it three times a day is ridiculous! I don't know of anyone that would consider it animal abuse or neglect if poor "Shotzy" only got walked once a day. I personally hate walking, even with my dog - so I would have to pay someone to do it - especially if I had to meet the three times a day thing.

BTW - what comprises "3-times". Does the walk have to take up a certain amount of time in order for it to count? Or can I walk my dog around the house once or twice? Furthermore, if a neighbor complained that I wasn't obeying the law, would I have to videotape myself (with a date stamp) as proof? Very interesting. I wouldn't want to be the code-enforcement officer in that city.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Maybe if we had something like that law here we would not have such obese people??? Hmmmm.....Don't they have anything better to do?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Historical note: The Humane Society was founded before any kind of child protective anything at all was established in America. In fact, later child protective stuff was modeled on The Humane Society's guidelines for how to treat pets.
    I've heard this before somewhere. I guess this country as a long history of doing things bass-ackwards.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2003
    Hrmm. Mandatory walking... Maybe this is a public health initiative in disguise.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    Maybe if we had something like that law here we would not have such obese people??? Hmmmm.....Don't they have anything better to do?
    Like walking their dogs?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    I am an obsessive dog walker (and, seasonally, cyclist). I am still....FAT.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Too much in the personal business for this American.

but I must say that 3 would be a down grade from my dogs current 4-5 times a day and the 2-3 time a week dog park visit where he really gets his steam out.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Off-topic:
    For my guys, it depends on the day of the week. Weekends, I'll often take them on multi-hour hikes or city walks. Sadly, my old guy is 11 years old, so I wonder how much longer. Still, he seems ready to go and not too decrepit by any means.

Now that the days are longer, I can take them on nice hour long hikes after work. There is a pretty nice open space park five minutes from home. We hiked for a good hour and a half today With all the rain, the wildflowers and grasses are spectacular. Entire hillsides covered in purple sage. Max has to stay on the leash, as he tends to go selectively deaf and explore a bit too much out of sight (and there are plenty of deer and jackrabbits-and grazing cows in the hills), and I don't feel like screaming my lungs out until he comes trotting up the path with a **** eating grin on his face. The basenji and collie can roam around a bit more, but they stay very close. Nothing is funnier than a basenji HOPPING through the grass.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'll admit - once we got the house, with the fenced in yard, we got lazy. In the good weather, when Jack was little, and awake at 5am, someone would get up and take the baby and a dog for a long walk around the neighborhood, alternating dogs each morning, while the other would sleep. Then Jack started sleeping longer, and the weather got colder. sigh.

excuses, excuses.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    I'll admit - once we got the house, with the fenced in yard, we got lazy. .
    This is also how my dog is 'walked'. I just open the back door and let her run around in the fenced yard.

Seems to me it would be a better idea to require parents to feed their kids 3 times a day. Our school system started giving free breakfasts this year; any student is eligible; simply because so many kids came to school hungry, since they had no breakfast food at home.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Mandatory murals
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 11 May 2011, 2:33 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 05 Aug 2008, 6:20 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Jul 2006, 8:57 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last post: 07 Jun 2006, 2:42 PM