Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is this 911 dispatcher out of his mind?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Is this 911 dispatcher out of his mind?

There are so many times I wish I could have said something like this, but I have not...

(Work Safe)

What are your thoughts on this?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    There are so many times I wish I could have said something like this, but I have not...

(Work Safe)

What are your thoughts on this?
    Oh, man . . .

Restraint is a virtue.

I think a lawsuit is a tad out of order. It was a really bad idea to say that, but that's all.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    He's a 911 operator... he should have known better. We all would like to say stuff like that when people are complaining, but we can't because we work with the public. Although I understand his frustration, sometimes parents DO need the police to intervene on their behalf. I have a friend who was beat up by her 14 y.o. daughter one night and she didn't know what to do. Her daughter is bigger than her, and she was afraid if she fought back or tried to control the situation that she would get slapped with child abuse accusations. It's a pretty serious issue. I would give the operator one more chance and then give him the boot if it happened again.

Written transcripts make deciding whether the guy was a jerk or whether it might have been situationally justified difficult. Still, someone in that position has to learn to be very careful what you say, as I learned years ago.

One of my college jobs was as a campus cop. For the most part we locked up buildings and "patrolled" the campus (read: hung at friends and drank screwdrivers). After I'd been there a while, they put me on dispatch. Answer the phone and get on the radio to send the motor unit if necessary.

Shooter on Campus!
    Fall in the poconos is hunting season. Kid brings his hunting rifle to school but doesn't register it at campus police as required. Sitting in his dorm room cleaning the weapon he failed to remember that it has a round in the chamber and the weapon discharges. Bullet flies out his open window, across the quad, smashes through another window into the lounge of another dorm. Just misses hitting some dude in the head, lodges in the lounge chair next to him. Cops, students, faculty, administration in an uproar. Kid hides out a few days then comes clean. Case closed.

Fighting for the rebound.
    Ol' 'dunker's on dispatch one night when a call comes in that a girl in an intramural b-ball game has taken an elbow shot to the head while going for a rebound. Bad bloody nose, probably broken, needs a ride to the hospital. (You already see where this is going, dontcha?) I hang up, get on the radio and describe it as it was described to me. Our officer understands and makes the run without lights, sireen or anything like that.

But wait!
    Our radio is scanned by the local cops and state police. "...crackle ..shot in the head .. crackle ...blood...crackle...transport to hospital..." You guessed it. A bunch of girl intramural hoopsters were rather surprised when the staties showed up with weapons drawn.

My next shift started with a meeting with the chief of campus police urging me to consider my phraseology next time I was working dispatch.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Contrast with / Compared to the California Cheeseburger 911 call:
    http://www.snopes.com/crime/cops/burger.asp

Both are outrageous.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    He's a 911 operator... he should have known better. We all would like to say stuff like that when people are complaining, but we can't because we work with the public. Although I understand his frustration, sometimes parents DO need the police to intervene on their behalf. I have a friend who was beat up by her 14 y.o. daughter one night and she didn't know what to do. Her daughter is bigger than her, and she was afraid if she fought back or tried to control the situation that she would get slapped with child abuse accusations. It's a pretty serious issue. I would give the operator one more chance and then give him the boot if it happened again.
    Agreed...if I can't tell all those citizens that want that "park" to remain behind thier homes (that they don't own) to buy it if they want to keep it that way, then a dispatcher SURELY cannot ask the mom if he wants the police to come shoot her daughter...there are plenty of things I (and any of us) would LOVE to say to the people we deal with, we don't say them and if we did, we could possibly lose our jobs...I think he desrves another chance, I think he realized as soon as he said it, that he had made a mistake.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    There was a 911 operator in Glen Burnie (suburb of Baltimore) who fell asleep on the job. To clarify a bit, he fell asleep while on a call. I wish I could find the audio transcript for that one.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Dec 2003
    CALLER: "They were physically fighting with each other. One of them kicked a hole in the door. They are 12 and 14. The 12 year old is out of control. Physically she is as big as I am. I can't control her."

Oh, where to go with this.......

Seriously, I'm glad the guy said that. Maybe the lady will keep a cattle prod handy from now on.

don't listen to me or take that advice
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

The dispatcher is my new hero, even if he is an innapropriate hero.. a hero either way.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 51
    Last post: 12 Nov 2010, 10:21 AM
  2. St. Louis: what comes to mind
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 06 Jun 2009, 8:16 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Jan 2005, 11:05 AM
  4. How the Mind/Brain works!
    Friday Afternoon Club