Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Historical Planning Documents

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Historical Planning Documents

I was talking with a coworker who used to work in northern Virginia as a planner. He told me that sometimes he would be looking at a plat or other similar documents where George Washington was the original owner of the property. I thought that was kind of cool and was wondering if there were any other such experiences you all have had. Anyone historical? Anyone famous?

The closest I ever got was looking at a former veterinarian/turned Conservative U.S. Senator's prior development attempts within our city during the 1970s and 1980s.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I oversaw the demolition of Ronald Reagans family cottage in Tipperary south-west Ireland.

Only Joking.

A few years ago i remember getting excited about working with a house (proposed for demolition) which James Joyce had lived in. It was pointed out to me, that the Joyce family had fallen on hard times and spent a few years hopping from house to house with a long list of jilted landlords and debtors chasing after them. This meant that there were literally dozens of buildings in Dublin which he had lived in, which reduced the rarity of them considerably.

This house was listed for protection in an emergency council session in the end, which I must admit I was quietly delighted about.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Harland Barholomew 's Plans for my fair city.
    1925 System of Major Streets
    1927 A System of Recreational Facilities
    1927 Suggestions for Improving The City's Appearence
    1930 Transit Facilities
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Dan had a similar experience.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2002

Cooch

When I was in Delaware the 17th generation of the Cooch Family was born. The family homestead was used by Cornwalis around the time of the Battle of Brandywine. There was a mill on the Christina River associated with the homestead. The owner wanted to convert the mill into some other use. There were some complaints and the owner's lawyer researched the deed and found that George III ( I think) had given the owner exclusive rights to the river and there was talk of damming it as a power ploy. There is also the oldest Episciple Church in the US in old town New Castle that goes back to the 1600's. In the grave yard are 2 or 3 signers of the Declaration of Independence, one with an epitaph written by Dr. Benjamin Franklin. One of the ministers at the church (Rev. Ross, one of several) went to Philadelphia and married a woman named Betsy.
    WALSTIB

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Not a particular person, but we've had interesting discoveries in the course of platting. One of the original Spanish land grants down here was to a Guadalupe Herrera. This is particularly interesting because Guadalupe Herrera is a woman. She is the only woman I know of in central/south Texas that received an original Spanish land grant. This would have occurred in the 1600s.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 May 2013, 11:46 PM
  2. Historical planning
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Mar 2010, 11:00 PM
  3. Historical preservation: planning or design?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 31 Aug 2009, 8:34 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 29 Apr 2005, 9:50 PM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last post: 06 Nov 2003, 10:51 AM