• T6 - Urban Core Zone

3 7.69%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What transect zone is for you?

Registered
    Apr 2002

What transect zone is for you?

OK, if you had your choice, and money was not the deciding factor, which transect zone would you prefer to live in?

For me: T4 - General Urban

It needs to be walkable, and I have committed to myself that I will live in a place that I will not have to drive after the age of 50.

See:
    Transect Diagram from DPZ
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'd prefer T4.

My community is T3/T4, and I live in T2/T3.

Confused? Me too!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Oct 2000
    If money weren't an object, and my kids were into grade school, I wouldn't mind the T5. I'd love the convenience of it.

Right now we're in about a T 3 1/2. We can at least walk to the park, and school, and a corner market.

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I go for T-4 or T-5. I like the denisties, but one still has the option for buying a single-family residence with a bit of yard and off-alley parking access.

I currently live in T-4. A frist-ring streetcar suburb. It has approximately 11 housing units per acre, which is pretty nice.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm a T4, but under the right circumstances I could step up to a T5. I MUST have some green areas close to my casa. I prefer the T4 since you can get a very modest backyard so the doggies can go outside without me necessarily having to supervise them. I don't like taking the dogs out for potty-time because they take freakin' forever, so a dog door let's them decide when it's time to go or if they just want to go lay in the sun.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'd say I'm between T2 and T3. The apartment community I live in here is surrounded by natural areas, although the campus is only a 10 minute walk away. As much as I like the natural areas surrounding where I live the fact that I live in a low density area means that it is a bit of an ordeal to go anywhere off campus, as a result most businesses on the campus maintain a monopoly and take advantage of the situation. Back when the university was built some genuis probably had the idea that the campus was going to be a self contained community that people would rarely have to leave or else they expected everyone was going to have a car.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Fort the confused, here is the transect:

And here is a unique application of it with civic monuments:

Reference: Iconography and the Transect

Registered
    Dec 2001
    T4, low-density T5 would be nice for me.

Duaney has my nieghtborhood pegged as a dense T3. I'd call it a low-density T4. He calls it T3 because there aren't neighborhood stores/offices intermixed throughout the neighborhood. T4, in his mind would have corner shops and offices along with detached sf residential or attached sf residential.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I live in T4 / A2.
    Work in T6-D / A3-4.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm probably in a T4 right now. I be very happy in the right kind of T5.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I live in a T3/T4 I am happy there usually however today i am by myself in what ordinary is a 6 person staff. So i am fielding all the phone calls and all the walk-ins... and to top it off my zipper of my pants broke... it is now safety pined shut so my day sucks so i am going to move to my modified T1. See below

Registered
    Oct 2001
    T4-small town version. Would prefer T4 in a more urban setting (say, Berkeley, Cleveland Heights, Evanston, IL, Santa Monica) I agree with upline vis-a-vis small private outdoor space for the dogs, something I'm pretty much lacking now. However, the neighborhood has to be walkable. And by walkable, I don't mean only sidewalks running along a "landscaped buffer" next to a sound wall. I mean, diverse architecture, walking distance to a park or creekwalk, walk to a coffee shop (plus, both my locals now have treats for my dogs ), walk to the drugstore, etc. I need to see something. If only downtown Vacaville was a little more lively.

Without the dogs, I could handle T5 or even T6.

I chose the natural zone, but really it depends on my mood. I live in the General Urban zone and like it very much, but I sometimes find myself dreaming about living way out in the country....working from home....writing novels....

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I presently live somewhere between a T-3 and the T-4 zone. The residential development is denser than a typical suburban neighborhood, but the commercial uses are relegated to the arterials, located on the outskirts of the neighborhoods. I'd like to live in a T-4 zone.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I generally prefer T4/T5, but would take T1 in a hearbeat if I get the cool looking castle with the cannon out front to keep away "unwanted" guests

Edit: D'oh! I didn't even realize that was a photoshop - good job Big Owl!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'll take a T1 or T2 anyday. The less number of neighbors, the better.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    ...Although I would take the T1 if I got a castle with a cannon, like in the pictures above!

Otherwise I'll stick with my high T4-low T5.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

I am definitely in a mid T-5 and am very happy with it. When I retire, I could easily do a full T-6.

I can't believe I'm writing Duany-speak. Yeccchhh
    Je suis Charlie

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    ...Although I would take the T1 if I got a castle with a cannon, like in the pictures above!

Otherwise I'll stick with my high T4-low T5.

I live in a T6, and love it!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I have always lived in a T-4 transect neighborhood and I wouldn't choose anything else. I work in the T-2 and reverse commute. Gas mileage is starting to hurt.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Solid T-3 and unapologetic.

Registered
    May 2003
    I guess I live in a T4/T5. My old neighborhood was definitely T5.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I voted for T-5, but right now I'm probably more a T-3. Does anyone else use this terminology besides Duany et al? I've never heard it before. Is he making up his own language now?

I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    Is he making up his own language now?

Yes, because you can't sell yourself as the Unique MASTER OF TEH NEW URBANISM unless you have your own unique, new jargon to describe standard planning concepts.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    I voted for T-5, but right now I'm probably more a T-3. Does anyone else use this terminology besides Duany et al? I've never heard it before. Is he making up his own language now?

I don't think transects are anything new or Duany. It a common spatial technique to take 3 dimentional space and transform it to two dimentional. The labels for the individual zones may be unique to Duany. Everyone has to have a gimmick... McDonalds has the Happy Meal and he has his Duanized transect zones.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 14 Apr 2011, 4:06 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Jan 2011, 3:27 AM
  3. The Art of the Transect
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 Jul 2010, 9:22 AM
  4. Replies: 2