Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Park Benches, Picnic Tables, Signs

Registered
    Feb 2003

Park Benches, Picnic Tables, Signs

I need to purchase the amenities listed above for a riverside park improvement project that I'm managing for my city.

Instead of just relying on google, I wanted to get some feedback from the 'burbia on good vendors that you've used in the past for these types of items. I am located on the West Coast, more specifically in NW Oregon.

Also, and perhaps, more importantly, what type(s) of materials would you suggest using (and not using) for park amenities such as these? We have very creative vandals here.

Any other advice, pitfalls to watch out for, out there.......??

Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am a fan of using stone for seating. A slab can be used as the seat, with a vertical slab used for the back, and the whole thing can be recessed into a slope. I have a picture somewhere, but maybe it is not scanned. Alternatively, a stone slab is all you really need. Either of these is perfect for a naturalized setting.

Any material you use is going to be subject to vandalism. Be sure you figure out good ways to anchor the furnishings, or they are likely to end up in the river. Pick up a copy of Landscape Architecture Magazine and look through the ads in the back. They will give you some good ideas.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I am a fan of using stone for seating.
    Good idea. I am using hardscape (boulders) surrounded by clumps of native plantings to define the perimeter of the parking area (and to manage off-roading yahoos) and stone seating would blend nicely with the riparian setting. I am also thinking of using etched stone for the park signs....Coooool

Registered
    Jul 1998
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2004
    has this been "designed", or are you simply replacing existing equipment?

You can spend as much, or as little as you like on this, so it's pretty hard to make a recommendation as to budget, what elements are included (benches, lighting, trash cans) and what kind of setting this is in.

If you want the broadest range of options, try picking up a copy of Landscape Architecture magazine and pawing through the ads.

Better yet, and free, Landscape Architect and Specifier News.

If you really want maximum exposure to the largest range of options, in a not too friendly format, try Sweets

If you describe your situation in more detail, including the setting, budget, how busy the park is, what's nearby, etc., you'll probably get more advice.

Do you have any Landscape Architect friends or folks in the Parks and Rec. field that you can take out to lunch?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Sure thing....

FairWeather Site Furnishings- Port Orchard, Washington- www.fairweathersf.com
    or
    Columbia Cascade- Portland Oregon- 1-800-547-1940 (very nice stuff)

These two should have everything you need....

Good Luck
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I also like stone, but it holds in cold. Especially in the northwest, you see your share of colder days. There is a company that makes a stone looking product out of recycled paper that also has the outdoor and indoor durability of stone, but it is much warmer to the touch.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/13527.shtml
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Thanks for the input. This is a new project (not a replacement project) for the city and I have a couple grand (depending on how the bids come in for other aspects of the project) to spend on seating. It looks like I'll be hooking up with a local quarry and having them place a nice arrangement of foundation rocks and slabs to provide rustic seating for the park. It appears to be (by far) the most cost effective way to go and I think it fits in pretty well with our modest, non-presumptive, blue collar, fishing-logging, small-town character.

Hey michealski - here on the coast, we rarely get below 50 degrees (ever). So, the coldness is a non-issue for us (now, about that rain....... )

Thanks again for the info. and links, I'm going to check them out now......

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'd advise against wood given that the West Coast is a bit moist... even treated, sealed wood can fail quickly.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Double standard for park signs?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Apr 2011, 11:22 AM
  2. Conversion schedules/tables
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Mar 2007, 9:25 AM
  3. Commerce park signs
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 08 Dec 2005, 9:12 PM
  4. The Uselessness of Use Tables