Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Help on getting into grad school

Registered
    Apr 2005

Help on getting into grad school

Hi everyone,

I was looking for advice from people in the know about Urban Planning programs. I'm considering moving out to the west coast but wanted to know what schools are considered the best programs. I definitely don't want to spend a lot of money so if there are city/state schools that also have clout would you please let me know? Thanks in advance!!!

HC

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by HCLEU
    Hi everyone,

I was looking for advice from people in the know about Urban Planning programs. I'm considering moving out to the west coast but wanted to know what schools are considered the best programs. I definitely don't want to spend a lot of money so if there are city/state schools that also have clout would you please let me know? Thanks in advance!!!

HC
    If you are looking at out of state schools you'll definitely pay more. I looked at University of Washington and thought it was nice. I always hear good things about Berkeley, USC and UCLA.

Think about where you might want to live as a planner and consider going to school there. Or, go where you are in state and then move if you want to save money. I went to state university as an out of state student and it's still cheaper than a private school like USC.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Hi everyone,

HC
    Florida State University (Go Noles!!!) Department of Urban and Regional Planning is one of the best in the Southeast and possible the country (little biased). We have experienced faculty, well-equipped computer lab, great weather, and pretty inexpensive. If you are interested, send me an email bh2oman77@hotmail.com.

Registered
    Mar 2005

Sticker price is irrelevant

Hi everyone,

... I definitely don't want to spend a lot of money so if there are city/state schools that also have clout would you please let me know? Thanks in advance!!!

HC
    Don't let the sticker price of private universities deter you. While the quoted tuition rate may be higher, private universities are also much better at providing grants and meeting financial need.
    Case in point, I applied to both UCLA and USC, and even though I could get in-state at UCLA, the scholarship that I got at USC actually made the prices about equal. Also, UCLA wasn't even able to give me a loan package that would have met my FAFSA calculated financial need while USC was. The lesson is: apply to a program you like in a school that you like, and then once you have all your offers in then consider the price.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Private schools can be expensive, but as stated above they are often better about financial aid. I was offered a full tuition scholarship at USC. I am going to FSU instead because they offered a good stipend in addition to a tuition waiver, but the point is you shouldn't let the price deter you from applying.

Just find programs that match your interests, and apply to them. Public and private!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    You mentioned the west coast and highly rated state schools and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Portland State. It's supposed to have a great program, and has a pretty good name among planners, from what I've heard.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Grad school low GPA
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Jun 2012, 2:22 PM
  2. Grad school now or later?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Aug 2008, 1:17 PM
  3. Grad School Q's
    Student Commons