Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hunter College M.U.P.?

Registered
    Apr 2005

Hunter College M.U.P.?

Has anyone heard anything about the (CUNY) Hunter College Master of Urban Planning program in NYC? I don't really know much about the industry but it seems that it's a tight market so picking a top school seems quite important. Is this the case? Is it worth checking out? Especially if I am going to be moving to the west coast.

One question I had was if I got a job in NY/Tri-state area would I companies on the west coast not be inclined to consider me for a position (should I be ready to move). Thanks!

HC

East coast, West coast

Quote Originally posted by HCLEU
    Has anyone heard anything about the (CUNY) Hunter College Master of Urban Planning program in NYC? I don't really know much about the industry but it seems that it's a tight market so picking a top school seems quite important. Is this the case? Is it worth checking out? Especially if I am going to be moving to the west coast.

One question I had was if I got a job in NY/Tri-state area would I companies on the west coast not be inclined to consider me for a position (should I be ready to move). Thanks!

HC
    I'm not familiar with the Hunter Program, but as someone who went to planning school on the west coast and then moved east, I'd say pick a school in the near where you want to start your career to best establish connections. If you know the west coast is where you want to be I'd say go to school out there. The Tri-state area is very competitive and in my experience there are a lot of jobs that don't even get advertized. The alumni networks and connections to people in the field are the best ways to get a job in my experience.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    i was briefly considering this program, but the fact that they don't even require you to take the GREs changed my mind.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Jan 2012, 5:35 PM
  2. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 19 May 2011, 2:46 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 18 Apr 2011, 10:49 AM