Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Jobs in Canada

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Jobs in Canada

What is the best places for finding planning related jobs in Canada?

Thanks in advance

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Try www.cip-icu.ca, other than that, some of the CIP affiliates have web sites, then try the municipalities that you would like to work in / near.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    You're interested in transportation planning, right? Try http://www.cite7.org/.

Moderator note:
    I'm assuming you're looking for full-time, so I'm moving this to the career advice forum

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Thanks guys!!

Whats the prospects for a planner from the UK getting a job in Canada. I understnad that I'm a few years from having the requisite experience, but just for future reference.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by blaghaus
    Thanks guys!!

Whats the prospects for a planner from the UK getting a job in Canada. I understnad that I'm a few years from having the requisite experience, but just for future reference.
    I'm not sure...if you have absolutely no work experience at all, it could be tough. There is a demand for (transportation) planners though, so it's possible you could find something entry-level. When are you taking the plunge?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think it depends where you are looking... as a generalization, it's quite easy to get a job in the Prairies... they pull people from far away as South Africa. If you have the skills/experience, it shouldn't be too hard (especially since Canada is a commonwealth nation).

In addition to the links above, a lot of smaller jurisdictions publish on the various provincial chapter sites for the CIP as it costs a lot more to publish on the national website. The CIP website has a list of the provincial sites on the "affiliates" page and not the "links" page. Good luck!

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I'm not sure...if you have absolutely no work experience at all, it could be tough. There is a demand for (transportation) planners though, so it's possible you could find something entry-level. When are you taking the plunge?
    I've got a year left of my masters, and hopefully i can get a job straight away. so maybe 1-3 years after that.

the immgration stuff takes a lot of time but you have to really think about it long and hard so I'm laying the groundwork now.

The problem with transportation planning is that the software systems used seem to be non-generic and specific to a locality. thats the impression I have anyway, i could be wrong.

Registered
    Apr 2005

Looking for Transportation Planning job in Toronto

I've been trying to get a job in transportation planning and policy. I had an interview in February with one of the engineering firms with the promise of a 2nd interview. OF course now we're in May and nothing. As well I applied to the City of Toronto, Smart Commute, TTC, YRT, Oakville Transit and even in Las Vegas, NV. Only SC I have heard back from.

Are you a member of Transport 2000? Oh by the way I see your birthday is 10 days after mine, same year. HAHA!!!

Anyway any ideas? I also have blogs on my life as a jobless planner and Transportation planning in the GTA (or shall I say lack thereof).

You're interested in transportation planning, right? Try http://www.cite7.org/.

Moderator note:
    I'm assuming you're looking for full-time, so I'm moving this to the career advice forum

Check out my blog and there's some answers for you, although I am still looking for a job myself.

http://plannerjobless.blogspot.com

Quote Originally posted by blaghaus
    I've got a year left of my masters, and hopefully i can get a job straight away. so maybe 1-3 years after that.

the immgration stuff takes a lot of time but you have to really think about it long and hard so I'm laying the groundwork now.

The problem with transportation planning is that the software systems used seem to be non-generic and specific to a locality. thats the impression I have anyway, i could be wrong.
    Last edited by andreplanner; 09 May 2005 at 2:58 PM.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by andreplanner
    Are you a member of Transport 2000? Oh by the way I see your birthday is 10 days after mine, same year. HAHA!!!

Anyway any ideas? I also have blogs on my life as a jobless planner and Transportation planning in the GTA (or shall I say lack thereof).
    No, I'm not a member of T2000 though I agree with most of their policy positions. Membership in advocacy groups can lead to potential conflicts of interest.

No real ideas for you other than those I've posted previously...Smart Commute should be hiring soon as they get going so hopefully you'll hear back from them soon.

The first job in the field is the hardest...I had to go all the way up to Sudbury to get mine, then work my way back down the province.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Ya well I have applied as far as Southern California to right here in Toronto. Mostly municipalities. Most rural places don't have transportation initiatives and most of my research was in that field. So sometimes I think those smaller communities would be discouraged.

I gather you're a member of OPPI. I had an article in the last journal (Jan/Feb) about reverse commuting. I am sure you read it.

No, I'm not a member of T2000 though I agree with most of their policy positions. Membership in advocacy groups can lead to potential conflicts of interest.

No real ideas for you other than those I've posted previously...Smart Commute should be hiring soon as they get going so hopefully you'll hear back from them soon.

The first job in the field is the hardest...I had to go all the way up to Sudbury to get mine, then work my way back down the province.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by andreplanner
    I gather you're a member of OPPI. I had an article in the last journal (Jan/Feb) about reverse commuting. I am sure you read it.
    Nope. My employer doesn't pay professional dues so I picked ITE over CIP (cheaper and supposed to be more relevant). I think I might have read the article though...

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Nope. My employer doesn't pay professional dues so I picked ITE over CIP (cheaper and supposed to be more relevant). I think I might have read the article though...

Well I am not an engineer by profession so that's why I didn't want to join ITE. You think there's benefits joining that organization other than being cheaper?

Are you serious? Toronto doesn't pay for professional dues? That's so wrong.

Sidenote: Just watching the news and thinking of how I almost applied to Compton, Cali and found out there was a police chase of a suspect who was randomly shooting.

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm lucky in that one of my best friends works for a large architect/planning firm in Toronto. He's virtually assured me of a job when I emmigrate. The only problem with that is that I could end up doing just about anything, which isn't that much of a problem when you've got to put food on the table i suppose.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy Canada Day/Fete du Canada
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 9:04 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 16 May 2013, 8:07 PM
  3. Planning jobs in Canada?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Aug 2012, 12:33 PM