Urban planning community

Poll results: Corner Lot Etiquette - What should eG do with the signs in his yard?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave them alone and chill eG. Its all good.

1 2.56%
  • Keep on collecting that trash on a stick, eG!

33 84.62%
  • Um....I don't know.

1 2.56%
  • And now for something completely different....

4 10.26%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Corner Lot Etiquette

Registered
    Oct 2001

Corner Lot Etiquette

I own the corner lot at a t-intersection on two major feeder roads for two subdivisions. For some reason the people in these two neighborhoods feel they are somehow entitled to place signs in my yard pointing the way to their garage sales, school fund raisers, lost dogs, and even the realtors get on the bandwagon and occasionally throw a, “Home for sale ===>” sign in my front yard. The city once had a road closed sign in my yard. Now, not in the road right of way, but actually in my yard.

I have never once been asked by a neighbor, realtor, or city crew to allow the placement of a sign in my yard. So, we have a policy in my family. When we see a sign we yank it immediately. Most of these signs have an address or phone number of the owner on them. In one case I yanked the sign and drove up to the offender’s house and placed it back in their yard. I didn’t receive any thanks for the effort either. He is a State Trooper and I still drive the speed limit.

I’ve even waked out of my garage and yanked a sign that was just being placed by a realtor. I said nothing, and even offered a genuine smile as I took the sign back into my garage. I have amassed a collection of about 30 signs in three years. Some are all-weather pre-printed professional quality and others are poster board and a stick. Yet, all have a place in my collection.

So, my question for you is; do I have an obligation as the corner lot owner to allow for unfettered signage, or is it highly unreasonable of my neighbors to assume that my yard is theirs for the using?

Next time we will talk about my obligation to let an entire subdivision’s dogs poo in my yard.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Amen brother!

I'm in a similar situation, and our side yard gets a fair bit of garbage and other crap blown/dumped in it. One time a rejecting boyfriend/girlfriend left a bag with their ex's stuff in it (nothing nice, though the "take me back" letter was a hoot to read). Last week, someone put a bicycle up in the tree (unfortunately, it's a boys' cycle and not one I can use).

The telephone pole right at the corner gets plastered with all sorts of notices - I yank the "got junk?" and other commercial crap right away...I let the lost pet/garage sale signs stay a while.

I'm waiting for the day I actually catch one of the few people who let their dogs go in my sideyard.

You're in a ranting mood today, no?

You got some trashy nieghbors, don't you? I would throw a sh*t fit but, that's just me. Just keep collecting junk but give people a good verbal lashing in a polite way when you catch them.
    2cents

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    You're in a ranting mood today, no?
    No, actually I'm in a swell mood - Really. I just haven't been contibuting to the board for a while and I thought I'd toss out some thread starters based on my limited collection of suburban life materials.

I had a really great ride last night and I am looking forward to another tonight.

A for dog pooh, at my parents house the nieghbor would let the dog out into the front and do its business, well we returned the favor by throwing the pooh on their yard -once it hit their door by accident, I swear. They're as trashy as I ever seen a nieghbor.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I agree with you 100%.
    I own a corner lot too. Thankfully I have fence around the perimeter and a telephone pole and mail box on the sidewalk so nothing end up on my lawn. But if someone tried it would be gone as soon as I saw it.
    Last edited by statler; 28 Apr 2005 at 2:47 PM.
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Do not, under any circumstances, return the signs to the rightful owner, eG -- they'll only end up in somebody else's yard.

I think you can make a good case for doing it as a liability issue -- some kid impales himself on an illegal sign while trespassing on your lawn and you can bet momma and poppa will be filing a claim against your homeowner's insurance before the kid gets out of the hospital.
    Je suis Charlie

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    If it's in your yard and not the right-of-way, then yank away! Oh wait, that didn't sound so good... Pull out! Wait, that's not any better...

If you have that many signs, I'd say it's time for a little revenge & pranking! I'm sure there's one or two people that are habitual offenders. I'd go "sign" their yard like some people do with flamingoes, etc. I think it would be funny to watch a guy step out of his house into his beautifully manicured lawn, only to find 30+ real estate signs all over it.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    [soapbox]

As a former owner of a corner lot, I'm with you eG.

During "the silly season" one year (aka election campaign season), we allowed a friend running for local office to place a sign in our yard. Every other local, regional, state and federal campaign immediately felt they had the right to place their signs on our yard too. Yanked 'em all, I did! (except for our friend's)

Privately owned corner lots are private property, and should be respected as such.

[/soapbox]
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I lived on a corner lot in Davis, CA, we used to have those problems. One real estate agent had really nice signs mounted on a metal stake, she ended up hammering it into the irrigation system in the yard and water got *everywhere*. It was a rental, so the landlord had to deal with it. I would be worried about liability/property damage.

Edit: Oh yeah, and depending on your sign ordinance, if someone puts something in your yard and it doesn't meet ther reqts of the ordinance, you may be ticketed (or get a nastigram from the enforcement officers) since it's your property. Even more reason to yank the trash on a stick.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I think you should put up your own sign detailing your reasonable rates for renting space in your yard for their signs.

Honestly. You could make a few bucks on the side. At the bottom of your sign, state your policy concerning removal of "free-loaders".

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Of course you have no obligation, but you could charge rent.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I've considered doing a chalk outline of a lady with big hair and a realty yard sign on my sidwalk. Add a little catsup in a splatter pattern near the head that message might get through.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    One of my neighbors put small signs in their side yard that contained the city ordinance pertaining to "dog poo." Dunno if it worked, but perhaps it made people THINK about it! Same could work with signs?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    You need to write up a Property of EG sign ord., application, and fee structure.

Then the next time someone puts a sign in you yard, you can take the sign, along with a copy of the ord. and application and give it back to them

Tell them if they want to put their sign in your yard they need to complete an application and pay the fee before they can put the sign in your yard.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    You are definitely justified in pulling the signs.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    I've considered doing a chalk outline of a lady with big hair and a realty yard sign on my sidwalk. Add a little catsup in a splatter pattern near the head that message might get through.
    LOL
    I do not live on a corner lot but I can only imagine your pain. I would charge rent or keep on removing them...then again placing your own sign out there may not hurt either...you'd think after enough time these people wiould notice that you continue to remove their signs.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I would begin distributing the collected real estate signs and putting them on the lawns of repeat offenders. The best would be signs that advertise an Open House
    Or maybe some signs of your own, like El Guapo is Muy Guapo or El Guapo will Reign Supreme for an Infinate Age, All Mortals Bow Down and Then Bring El Guapo Beer and Bratwursts

Something like that, Hose 'em good.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Make your own sign saying "Please don't place signs in my yard!"
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    You need to write up a Property of EG sign ord., application, and fee structure.

Then the next time someone puts a sign in you yard, you can take the sign, along with a copy of the ord. and application and give it back to them

Tell them if they want to put their sign in your yard they need to complete an application and pay the fee before they can put the sign in your yard.
    I like this idea!

My parents have a corner lot, too. While it may not be at the intersection of two busy streets, it is a very visible area and several signs a month pop up. My dad is president of the HOA, and here's what he does:

1) remove sign
    2) if name and/or address on sign - return it to them with a copy of the HOA regs on sign placement
    3) if repeat offender - return sign with a copy of the HOA regs on sign placement, and a fine for violating HOA regs.

He said the repeat offenders are usually the "Garage Sale" and "Open House" signs.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Make your own sign saying "Please don't place signs in my yard!"
    Or:
    NO SIGNS
    ALLOWED

(except for this one)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay

Better yet, look at the addresses on the garage sales signs people put in your yard, photograph them, then later on host your own 'garage sale'. Be sure to place signs in everyone's yard who felt compelled to use yours (with photo attached).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Keep removing those signs. I live on a busy street, beside the corner lot. The neighbor and I both remove signs from his corner lot and utility pole. I remove signs from the utility pole at my yard as well.

Frequently, some sensitive soul nails a sign to a tree in the cemetery, or hangs a house for sale sign on the cemetery sign. I remove those, too.

We remove any sign - make quick money, lost dog, yard sale, finance your house, wedding reception.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

And Now....

For a Fresh Approach:

Keeping all those signs will pay off, if you follow my instructions:

Option 1- Place all of the signs in your yard at the same time and keep there as long as you can without getting a notice of violation from the local code office. This is the TRASH it good theory. Time this when your neighbor happens to be getting a refinance or selling their home and needs an appraisal.

Option 2- Randomly place signs of all different types throughout your neighborhood to confuse people looking for a house to sell or a garage sale. Place directional signs in confusing places that lead no where and create chaos for everyone trying to direct people to any event. This one is "wake up you A$$ H*!#$, and stop cluttering up my neighborhood protest"

Should you choose to accept this mission, you will be rewarded with a fun filled time observing the chaos
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Now, if that were my yard...

Real estate signs would end up staying, but with the arrows changed to point potential customers in the wrong direction.

Political signs would have new messages. Perhaps something long the lines of "your pro-tax candidate"...

Signs with a phone number? Sure... a new phone number. Either for sex chat or telemarketing.

Bad situations can be made into fun if you approach it right!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Cell Phone etiquette
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 01 Jul 2013, 2:09 PM