Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Ivory-billed Woodpecker

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

The Ivory-billed Woodpecker

"Talk of my death is greatly exaggerated." said the Ivory-billed Woodpecker.

I couldn't be gladder to see that this fine bird, not seen for 60 years, is not extinct as was feared. Several sightings in the Big Woods of southeastern Arkansas and even videotape. I always expected it was still with us. I trapsed around many a hardwood forest in the Dolby Hills (northern Louisiana) hoping to see one.

I hope we now take steps to ensure this endangered species has adequate habitat to survive.

"I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Did anyone bother to ask the woodpecker if he had seen any dodos?

Registered
    Jul 1998
    They had been seeeing these birds since late 2003, with a few reports before then. When they did get documentation the Nature Conservancy gagged the folks who filmed it. Only when the news was leaked did they admit it.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmmm.....

That's close enough for Budgie and EG to go on a HUNTIN' trip
    Thanks Otterpop and Nature Conservancy

Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Here is the link to the NPR report I heard this morning:

The Future of the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4624322

"As reported on Morning Edition Thursday, scientists claim they've spotted a bird long thought to be extinct. Even before it disappeared in the 1940s, the ivory-billed woodpecker had near-mythical status: It was admired by Theodore Roosevelt and gathered in by collectors. As part of an NPR/National Geographic Radio Expedition, NPR's Christopher Joyce reports on what scientists are planning now that they believe they've found it."

Related NPR Stories:

The Significance of the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker

Ivory-Billed Woodpecker Rediscovered in Arkansas

The Ivory-Bill, Found
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I have been listening to the reports on NPR and it is really making wish that I knew my birds so that I could go bird watching. Very interesting story. Good luck little bird, I hope you are not on the decline but on the come-back.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    I have been listening to the reports on NPR and it is really making wish that I knew my birds so that I could go bird watching. Very interesting story. Good luck little bird, I hope you are not on the decline but on the come-back.
    From what I have heard and read, it looks pretty much like your average, commonly seen woodpecker except that it is *HUGE*, standing well over a half-meter tall.

BTW, It's 'native' range is generally the lower Mississippi River valley and delta area and the Gulf of Mexico and southern Atlantic coast areas (South Carolina around to Texas and NE Mexico).

Mike

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    OK, so who's old enough to remember "The Woody Woodpecker Show"? The TV show even had elderly gentleman Walter Lantz showing how to draw cartoon characters.

My son (at age five or so) called the bird "Woody Pecker".

For awhile I had a great t-shirt with Woody Woodpecker on it. It went away, probably on one (1) of the busses that took away my wives.

A-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha.....A-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha.......Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 31
    Last post: 16 Jun 2006, 5:32 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 May 2005, 6:44 PM