Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gas tax comparison around the world

Registered
    May 2005

Gas tax comparison around the world

I search the threads for gas taxes and found a few but didn't see any comparing the rates between different countries. Here is a good resource:

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/gastaxes.asp

Almost without a doubt across my travels...places with cheaper gas had much more "unpleasant" (I'm being nice) and inefficient city designs / transportation plan. (Unless you think traffic is good...more on that in another thread. I have a really cool photo from Thailand courtesy of our friends at Toyota)

Indonesia - Around 25 cents a gallon if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to look at a picture I took at a photo in my archives.

Thailand - Gas per litre is subsidized and kept artifically low by the government. At least 3 Baht/litre. (Which is 8 cents / litre or so). More significant than it sounds due to the cost of living there. Lots of discussions about this in the newspaper.
    I forget what the actual cost/litre is...I'll look it up and post later.
    Last edited by circusoflife; 14 May 2005 at 8:35 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Interesting data. Taxes in general are somewhat lower in the US compared to these other countries, but the disparity seems especially pronounced with gas taxes. Because the US developed so recently and entirely in the age of fossil fuels, the gas taxes of Europe would be a much greater burden to Americans than they are to Europeans.

It would also be interesting to compare the way these countries fund road construction, and the amount of government subsidy.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

As a former long haul trucker, I can tell you that the taxes from state to state differ widely. I cannot give dollar amounts but I can say that the roads in states with lower taxes do show this. Not so much on the interstate system as on the state and secondary roads. As to planning, I cannot comment as I have never traveled out of the US, yet.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Obesity comparison
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 26 Jul 2005, 1:53 PM
  2. World gasoline price comparison
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 May 2005, 4:56 AM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last post: 17 Feb 2005, 4:25 AM