Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Quick poll on a school's responsibilities

Registered
    Feb 2005

Quick poll on a school's responsibilities

I encountered something odd last week. As of April 22nd I had not yet heard back from one of the graduate schools to which I applied in January (the school shall go unnamed). It was the school I wanted to attend the least, and it was placed on my final list only as a precautionary measure. When I heard in February that I got into my first-choice school I forgot about this other school which was now an afterthought. Skip to last Friday when I realized that I had not yet heard from them, and it was well past the 4/15 acceptance deadline. Curious as I was, I inquired within to find out why they didn't send out a letter or make any attempt to contact me. I was told by the admissions representative that in the first week of April they contacted the students who were offered admission (I wasn't one of them) and not the rejects (this is their protocol, so no apologies), but that they would "try" to get a letter sent out to me. As of the date of this posting they have still not sent out any official correspondence as a rejection of my application.

The poll: should it be mandatory for schools to contact all applicants, or just the ones to whom they offer admission?

Registered
    Jul 2003

Unacceptable

In my opinion, this is completely unacceptable. If you have taken the time to complete an application and presumably paid an application fee, you are absolutely due a written response. If it were me, I would probably write some of the higher-ups (such as the president) about this "policy," and probably include a check for 37 cents or a self-addressed stamp envelope .

Registered
    Dec 2004

Ridiculous

I completely agree...

The schools do have a responsibility to inform you. On their website/application instruction booklet, does it state that applicants will be informed of the school's decision by a certain date? If so, then they've really been irresponsible.

I do not think it was even necessary to withold the name of the school. You are simply relaying admission practices that you are satisfied with; you're not attempting to damage their reputation.

Either way, if you have the time, I think it would be wise to write the school. It's mainly for their benefit...they should thank you for bringing this to their attention.

I'm glad it was your last choice

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Agreed. If you're going to take the trouble to apply, the least they could do is send you a 'thank you for playing' letter. Good thing it wasn't really important to you.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I could possibly understand this practice for undergraduates, but for a graduate school that is completely unacceptable.

It's not like a particular graduate school gets so many applications that they can't use an automatic letter generator for rejections. Based on how they treat students during the admission process, I wouldn't want to go there anyway.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    I could possibly understand this practice for undergraduates, but for a graduate school that is completely unacceptable.
    That's not even an acceptable practice for a primary school.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Smith
    The poll: should it be mandatory for schools to contact all applicants, or just the ones to whom they offer admission?
    Good practice = yes

Mandatory = come on...

There is a big difference here. I agree it is not good practice, but mandatory? Some orgs may just not have the time or resources to do this. You can always call them, you know... You share the burded here.

I have applied for several schools, jobs, whatever in my life... some gave me an offer, some did not, of those that did not, some let me know, others did not... that is just life, you cant make something like that mandatory, espeacially at a level that is teaching you to function in society.

That all being said, I would personally never not call someone either way, I even call salespersons back when I dont want their product and thank them for their time becuase I believe good communication os just good practice (as said above).
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by H
    I have applied for several schools, jobs, whatever in my life... some gave me an offer, some did not, of those that did not, some let me know, others did not... that is just life, you cant make something like that mandatory, espeacially at a level that is teaching you to function in society.
    True. In a bureaucratic system things don't always seem rational, I suppose.

As an update, though, I finally did receive a rejection letter dated May 20th, and stamped by the post office June 10th... C'est la vie!

Registered
    Jul 2003

I respectfully disagree

Some orgs may just not have the time or resources to do this.
    The difference here is that you as the applicant have provided them the resources to process your application through your application fee, unlike with job applications/unsolicited resumes/etc.

that is just life, you cant make something like that mandatory, espeacially at a level that is teaching you to function in society.
    Doesn't that mean that schools should be held to a higher standard, as they are "shaping our children"?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Good practice = yes

Mandatory = come on...

There is a big difference here. I agree it is not good practice, but mandatory? Some orgs may just not have the time or resources to do this. You can always call them, you know... You share the burded here.
    I disagree too. You pay a FEE to apply. A portion of that FEE should include the mail merge F.O. letter and a stamp!

[PM me if you wanna know what a F.O. letter is]

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Belle
    The difference here is that you as the applicant have provided them the resources to process your application through your application fee, unlike with job applications/unsolicited resumes/etc.
    So, then the fee should be increased inorder to hire new staff and pay out more hours to process rejection letters? Becuase currently many fees only cover the processing of, not the responding to.

Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I disagree too. You pay a FEE to apply. A portion of that FEE should include the mail merge F.O. letter and a stamp!
    Same response, the already high fee would have to be increased to cover this.

But again, I feel, it should be up to the school to decide the process and fee charge, this should not be mandatory by any means (which was the question)... what is wrong with following up on your own app. in order to keep fees down?

Quote Originally posted by Belle
    Doesn't that mean that schools should be held to a higher standard, as they are "shaping our children"?
    No. They should be held to the standard of reality.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We can agree to disagree, H

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    We can agree to disagree, H
    Then it is agreed, if you think responses should be mandatory, we disagree.

BTW, out of curiosity, what Federal bureaucracy would/should regulate such a thing? Should the nation's tax dollars go into this (in addition to raising the application fees)?

Registered
    Dec 2002
    Originally posted by Sherridan.
    I do not think it was even necessary to withold the name of the school. You are simply relaying admission practices that you are satisfied with; you're not attempting to damage their reputation.
    I agree...I think you should name the school.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dashboard
    I agree...I think you should name the school.
    Sure. The school was the University of New Mexico. I had an interest in sharpening my Spanish-language skills and their program seemed unique; plus Albuquerque is a cool town. I have since learned that the department must be severely underfunded

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Sep 2012, 9:26 AM
  2. Training for new responsibilities
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Apr 2012, 4:09 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Apr 2007, 3:12 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Mar 2007, 4:51 PM