Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wierd Alleriges

Registered
    Feb 2004

Wierd Alleriges

Hearing someone has allergies to environmental things like dust or pollens hardly raises an eyebrow. Some food allergies are more common than others (e.g. shellfish, peanuts). But have you ever come across anyone having unusual allergies that you'd never heard of?
    I went to highschool with a guy who was allergic to marijuana [Beavis](get it - HIGHschool huh huh[/Beavis] I also knew a kid in my neighborhood who was allergic to, well everything, but had an allergy to parrots. I have also heard of people having allergies to hops (and therefore could not drink beer ).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I have also heard of people having allergies to hops (and therefore could not drink beer ).
    I think I have this allergy. When I used to drink hopy (sorry) beers I would get itchy eyes and stuffed up nose. If I got drunk from it, I would have a much longer hang-over and be sick to my stomach much longer the next day than when I got drunk for liquor.

I stay away from beer now. Which is good, because that means more for everyone else.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2002

Disco

Disco - I'm alergic to Disco.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    . I have also heard of people having allergies to hops (and therefore could not drink beer ).
    I have a very slight sensitivity to yeast. When I drink beer, about 15 -20 minutes after the first one I sneeze about 5-6 times and then am ok.Sourdough and yeasty breads do the same thing to me.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2003
    This is right up my alley.

When I was tested for allergies. I was told that it was easier to tell me what I was not allergic to rather than to say what I was.

Lettuce and Beer Yes that is right, Beer. The only two things that I am not allergic to.

My worse allergy is to soy, although I have conditioned myself to a certain amount because I am unable to avoid it and eat out. Soy is in everything. The first reaction is that my stomach hurts a bit, not painful but a kind of nagging feeling. As a young person I thought it was hunger and would eat. I put on weight and couldn't figure out why I was hungry all the time.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    Disco - I'm alergic to Disco.
    No no no. You're not getting the idea behind the thread - I said UNUSUAL allergies.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am allergic to wheat, corn, grass(the mowing kind- not the smoking kind), barly(sp?), yeast, cats, dogs, soy, peanuts, and eggs. Fortunatley just mildly i get a slightly swolen throught(sp?) and runny nose and sneeze a good bit. I am also lactose intolorent. so basically what i am not allergic to i'm intolorent to.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I recall reading in a newspaper medical column several years ago about a woman whom was allergic to her SO's 'essence', more specifically to a protein in it.

Talk about a relationship killer!

Mike

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My big allergy is oak pollen. Plugs my schnoze up something awful!

I also have Autosomal Dominant Compelling Helioophthalmic Outburst Syndrome, aka Photic Sneeze Reflex and ACHOO Syndrome. When I go from being inside to outside in the sun, I always sneeze several times. I was told that it has something to do with my iris reacting to sunlight or something and that a couple million people have a similar problem to my severity. Apparantly 1 in 4 has this happen sometimes, but mine is constant, which makes me special!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I must be weird. I don't have any allergies....that I know of. Well, there is this....no, I better not go there.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I was told that I am allergic go most things in nature such as trees, grass, dogs, cats, paper... but none of it bugs me all that much. Well, other than paper work. But I found out the hard way that I was allergic to walnuts during a Christmas when I was a little kid. My face and cheeks swelled up like a balloon.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I think I'm allergic to Orange Clean. Whenever I spray it I seem to cough. I'm not allergic to oranges at all or have noticed this with other cleaning sprays.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm allergic to my husband, which is why I have to divorce him.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I'm allergic to my husband, which is why I have to divorce him.
    ROTFLMAO he he, wish I would have thought of that one!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    ROTFLMAO he he, wish I would have thought of that one!!
    I didn't have to "think" of it. It is something he and I actually say.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    I also have Autosomal Dominant Compelling Helioophthalmic Outburst Syndrome, aka Photic Sneeze Reflex and ACHOO Syndrome. When I go from being inside to outside in the sun, I always sneeze several times. I was told that it has something to do with my iris reacting to sunlight or something and that a couple million people have a similar problem to my severity
    My mother has this. As kids, my sister & I could always tell if the weather was clearing by how often our Mom sneezed. When she hit the magic number of consecutive sneezes (always 7), we knew the sun was back out.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    The wierd stuff I'm allergic to are balogna-it give me the dry heaves, and dimetap medicine.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I'm alergic to staff reports, busy days at work and antiquated zoning codes.

Seriously I have seasonal alergies which got worse when I moved away from Denver (Maybe the layer of smog actually helped me).

My girlfriend is allergic to oranges. Kind of weird.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Attitudinal - Working on Friday after lunch., on pay day
    Dietary - Lactose.
    Exercise - Weights.
    Social - Asking for a date.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Social - Asking for a date.
    I resemble that remark. But I have a cure: I don't date.

Registered
    Mar 2002

OK Im the canary in the mine

OK I have MCS or multiple chemical sensitivity and it SUCKS I have to avoid places where they are laying new carpet, fresh pressed wood products and some kinds of pine trees/products. This and the list below lead me to having to register as a disabled student in school so I would be notified of any new paint or other work in a building so I could avoid it. I many times carry an eppi pen and avoid seafood places.

I'm deadly allergic to:
    Paint thinner/turpentine
    mangos
    kiwis
    formaldehyde
    all forms of seafood
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    all forms of seafood
    I have this too. You can imagine the fun I had living in Japan .

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Glad to know Im not alone, I have a hell of a time eating out many times-only one or two items wont have some item in it that will kill me. Oriental resturants scare the crap out of me they put fish sause and other "stuff" in everything and dont indicate it. Boyfriend LOVES sushi and I cant go with him
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I was allergic to pineapple when I was a little girl, but that has gone away (yay, because I love pineapple!). Otherwise, my allergies bother me when it's REALLY moldy, and that includes old, sick buildings. Needless to say, I always keep a box of tissues on my desk and allergy eye drops in my purse (NOTE: the best over-the-counter are B&L Opcon A).

There is an excellent restaurant in the area and my co-workers and I really like to eat there, but I've noticed that my tongue itches and swells a little bit after I eat there (sounds like I'm slurring or lisping) but it disappears in about 20 minutes. Must be some spice that I'm not used to.

My nephew (3 yrs) is currently allergic to shellfish, poor thing.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    There is this guy at work who is allergic to walnuts...not a big deal..except we can never have carrot cake cause of him... He is also allergic to buckwheat. We paste things like "pictures of buckwheat pancakes" on his door. He asks if we are trying to get rid of him.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Lost Posts/Wierd Colors
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2005, 12:18 AM
  2. More wierd stuff on e-Bay
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Dec 2003, 9:19 PM