Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Resources to retool

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005

Resources to retool

I am sure this scenario has been mentioned before: "Went to college, got a Masters in Planning; tried to find a job; gave up and took whatever paid the bills". That was almost 8 years ago. My intrest in the field had never diminshed and I feel incomplete for not doing what I truly want to do. I ended up trapped in the call center world for six years. I have no intention to go back to that life again. I can get unemployment for six months so I am able to now do work for free for a firm just to gain the experience. Does anyone have any suggestions for books I should read up to get back up to speed?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Working for free, eh? I have a job that could pay that much....

Doing some refresher study is a good idea, but put even more effort into networking. Go to APA and other planning events in your state and even neighbors, if you can. Call up planners in your area, set up an appointment to take them out for a cup of coffee, and use the time to explain your situation and pick their brains. Find out what some key issues are in your area and then study up on them.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005

If I were...

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Working for free, eh? I have a job that could pay that much....

Doing some refresher study is a good idea, but put even more effort into networking. Go to APA and other planning events in your state and even neighbors, if you can. Call up planners in your area, set up an appointment to take them out for a cup of coffee, and use the time to explain your situation and pick their brains. Find out what some key issues are in your area and then study up on them.
    If I were on Colorado I might take you up on it Since I sn going to be living off unemployment can't buy too much Starbucks. That and I don't like coffee. But will definietly look up conventions. and Ihave been getting a list of smaller firms to call. I decidedon smaller firms because accessibility to the planners seems to be easer.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. San Diego Resources?
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 May 2013, 1:37 AM
  2. Map resources
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Sep 2012, 9:56 AM
  3. GIS Shapefile resources
    Information Technology