Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fence Regulations

Registered
    Feb 2002

Fence Regulations

I need to come up with some fence regulations for our downtown. Currently, our ordinance only regulates fencing if the property is adjacent to residential properties/districts. So, in a commercial district, a property owner could erect a fence of any height and of any material, and could put it right up to the property line/ROW.

In order to protect the historic character of downtown, the DDA wants to implement some sort of regulations pertaining to height, setback, and building material.

Just curious to know what your ordinance requires...

Thanks,
    Christine

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    In our ordinance, fences under 4' are not considered structures, and aren't subject to setbacks. Once they exceed 4', they're structures and subject to all applicable zoning requirements.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by NHPlanner
    In our ordinance, fences under 4' are not considered structures, and aren't subject to setbacks. Once they exceed 4', they're structures and subject to all applicable zoning requirements.
    Same here, except that we also limit the maximum height of a fence to 6'. That causes some problems with security fences, though. I am working on a zoning code amendment that will allow 8' high fences in our one Industrial zone.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    our by-law has two different classes for fences

1) Residential Zones (R)
    2) All other zones.

Max height in a residential zone is 2 metres in the R zones and 2.5 metres in all other zones.

Fences may not exceed 1 metre in the front yard, except for security purposes in Industrial, commercial and Institutional Zones.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fence regulations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Jan 2009, 6:12 PM
  2. Fence regulations
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Jun 2007, 9:11 AM
  3. Fence Requirements
    Land Use and Zoning