Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Census vs. Voting Which is more important to the average urban community?

Registered
    Nov 2003

Census vs. Voting Which is more important to the average urban community?

The Throbbing Brain,

Please settle a debate for me. I was debating with one my good friends who is an accountant by trade and a planner at heart yesterday over wings and beer. What is more important to the average urban community in an area over 1/2 million, census participation or voting? He said voting, I said the census. I find that people in the inner city rarely find the significance of the Census and how funds are allocated.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I'll side with the accountant: Voting especially on the local level, by far.Voting gets you immediately influence over decision making.

I guess I also don't like the premise that the Census is designed as a tool for determining government hand-outs.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'd have to say census because that's what will help determine how much money your city gets from the state.
    Last edited by Habanero; 02 May 2005 at 3:00 PM.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Census because voting only represents the desires of those who win. The census includes everyone and allocates resources accordingly.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    It depends on how you look at the role of the elected official and the role of full and accurate census counts.

If you look at the elected official as the one who "brings the goods" to the district he/she represents, then I think the Census may do a better job of determining who gets what based on population (CDBG, tax credits, transportation funding, etc.).

But if you're interested in changing the image of a district, changing the nature of the neighborhoods/towns within a district, or encouraging greater cooperation between districts, voting -- and voting for the people who represent these things -- is way more important.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I have a bad habit of seeing both sides of arguments. One of the points I made during our debate was that voting may be better for short term solutions, and census participation is better in the long run. However, being the chess players that AW is he used that logic against me. He said that 10 years is a long time in urban America and some things can't wait that long like education and infrastructure rehab.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Mar 2013, 11:52 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 27 May 2011, 8:50 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 6:30 AM
  4. Replies: 0