Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Brazilian City Layout

Registered
    May 2005

Brazilian City Layout

Hello. First post here on Cyburbia.

Just curious if any fellow travelers (Who look at city design) find it interesting how relatively small Brazilian cities (Like around a couple of hundred thousand) tend to be built with a high concentration of high/mid rise buildings....as opposed to sprawled out.

I guess the city that makes me think of this most is Florianopolis. At <300k in the main city it sure looks bigger than that. A quick tour in the surrounding area would reveal that there is a lot of open undeveloped space though. Very nice. So the "ugliness" gets concentrated.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmmm.....

Quote Originally posted by circusoflife

Just curious if any fellow travelers (Who look at city design) find it interesting how relatively small Brazilian cities (Like around a couple of hundred thousand) tend to be built with a high concentration of high/mid rise buildings....as opposed to sprawled out.

I guess the city that makes me think of this most is Florianopolis. At <300k in the main city it sure looks bigger than that. A quick tour in the surrounding area would reveal that there is a lot of open undeveloped space though. Very nice. So the "ugliness" gets concentrated.
    I don't know, I'll ask my neighbor who happens to be from Florianopolis
    My guess is transportation problems and lack of individual wealth that makes it possible for even the poorest to buy and use vehicles. What is the primary industry in Florianopolis? I heard that part of the country is where Brazilian coffee is stored?? and from the looks of the physical features map, one of the fertile plains to grow stuff on....?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by circusoflife

There is less aversion to density in Latin American than there is in then U.S. The middle- and upper-classes live in high-rise towers along the lowland valleys, while the poor sprawl up the hills in shantytowns (at least when you have hills).

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Along with jmello's cultural factos, isn't another major factor the ability to provide better security in a high rise?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Layout software
    Information Technology
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 May 2010, 8:49 AM
  2. Brazilian Architects
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Nov 2009, 9:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Jan 2009, 9:03 AM