Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Online Master programs?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Online Master programs?

Forgive me if this has been posted before. A search showed no difinitive result for this specific topic.
    I have seen numerous programs for offering continuing education online, but are there any full blown Master's programs that are offered online?

-How would an online Master's compare to a full blown (full time attendance) Master's? Our director here said that it would be the same, and an online masters, obtained while working and with a family would show potential employers about your character and work ethic.

Thoughts?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm.....

If you mean online Planning Masters, I'm not aware of any.....I don't think you could do the studio's online.
    If you mean general online Masters, just make sure its accredited.
    As far as status or how it would look, could anyone tell looking at the degree on your wall, that you got it from online study? For example- University of Phoenix Master of Online Underwater Basket Weaving or Internet Master of Science in Cyburbia with a concentration in Slacking Off If not, I wouldn't worry.
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Forgive me if this has been posted before. A search showed no difinitive result for this specific topic.
    I have seen numerous programs for offering continuing education online, but are there any full blown Master's programs that are offered online?

-How would an online Master's compare to a full blown (full time attendance) Master's? Our director here said that it would be the same, and an online masters, obtained while working and with a family would show potential employers about your character and work ethic.

Thoughts?
    Iowa State University has a full master's degree program in Community and Regional Planning offered online. It is even listed on APA's website. Here is the link.
    http://www.lifelearner.iastate.edu/degree/crp.htm

Registered
    Apr 2005

thank you

wow,
    I have searched and searched. Thank you for the info.
    Sounds like Iowa is the way to go!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Iowa and Iowa State both have accredited graduate planning programs. No disrespect to Iowa, but I guess I'm surprised by that as many states don't even have one accredited program.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Follow the $$
    Iowa State University has a full master's degree program in Community and Regional Planning offered online. It is even listed on APA's website. Here is the link.
    http://www.lifelearner.iastate.edu/degree/crp.htm
    Thanks for the link. That may be something to look into.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2006
    it appears that the entire masters degree isn't available online, only a specialization within a Masters of Interdisciplinary Arts and Science in Community Development. This seems to be the closest thing to an online grad program accredited by the APA. I would suspect one to emergy relatively soon.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    after reading the other online thread, I looked into the MPA degree at Norwich - looked intriguing -

but not until I finish this GD Comp Plan so maybe next summer or fall for me

oh, and go Pats!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2006
    I know online masterís courses are becoming more popular than ever but I canít imagine completing a degree from in front of a computer. I guess I am a 25 year old traditionalist. I love academia, college campuses and the stimulating environment. I know not everyone can afford to take time off from work or relocate but if it were me I would consider going to school full time and attending university in person. I have heard people say good things about their online program so to each their own.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    My husband is looking for an online GIS certification program, and there are a few but they are pretty pricey. NW Missouri State U. offers an entire Masters in GIS online, and I found that interesting. But I know this thread is more about planning programs.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Oct 2013, 5:35 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Oct 2013, 8:13 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Dec 2011, 5:32 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 9:40 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 27 Aug 2002, 3:58 PM