Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: On-Street Parking - Some thoughts

Registered
    Jun 2004

On-Street Parking - Some thoughts

Let say that you had provisions to require that all new streets should accomidate on-street parking and put a maximum on new parking lots. I think that most jurisdiction's parking requirments create the sea of parking that is only at capacity at peak times and for most commerical that is post thanksgiving and a few days right before christmas. I have also noticed that alot of communities are requiring buildings to be oriented to the street but the parking is either at the side or in the rear. What incentive is it to the consumer to occupy that space if there are no reason for him to be there? I think allowing on-street parking and in certain situation requiring the developer to install addition lane width to accomadate this would provide a traffic calming effect as well as incentive for the pedestrian to occupy the semi-public space in front of the store? Sometimes we just get things half right and it loses context.

mods - feel free to move this if need be.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Could not agree with you more.

We've got a neighborhood overlay code in our downtown redevelopment that allows the spaces on street in front of the property to count towards the parking requirement for that use. Its been effective for the residential portion of the project, and since the commercial aspect of the redevelopment is starting to go soon, we'll see how it works there too. I'm anticipating nothing but success.
    You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I also agree with you. Another thing it does is it creates a safer feeling for pedestrians because it is yet another barrier between them and the moving traffic. It will also slow traffic, improve pedestrian interaction, reduce on the dependence of the automobile, and encourage economic growth. People want to go to places where they see other people, and business want to go where there is more people. But it is hard to see people when they are in their cars, or drowning in a parking sea. The only thing is to make sure that there are sections at the ends of the blocks were the sidewalk extend out and cover the parking lane to provide for safe pedestrian crossings.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 1:51 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 20 Sep 2012, 9:01 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Nov 2010, 1:55 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Sep 2005, 1:05 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last post: 12 May 2005, 2:16 PM