Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AIB Lost - Kept

Registered
    Sep 2001

AIB Lost - Kept

This thread, plus a conversation I ahd last night made me think about why i keep certain things, the specific thing is a trunk full of drawings my father did over 30 years ago. These drawings have been saved from a backed up sewage line, partially burnt in a fire and moved more times than I can even fathom, but somehow and for some reason it has always been more important to move them and keep them safe than other things(they were actually saved over other things from both the flooding and the fire). Does anyone else have something similar, that is just too important to pitch, but others find odd that you keep?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005

Stuff

My Granddad was a tool maker for GE Large Turbine manufacturing. He had a set of tool making tools which I have kept. They are very interesting in this age of high tech manufacturing.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have my
    Father's U.G.C.G. Chief Engineer License / Steam (a bit ornate)
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I have a number of things that I am wrestling with myself about.
    I am having an urge to go through my house and pitch a bunch of stuff that I am just plain sick of looking at but in that process I always come up against whether I should get rid of it or not.

Most of the items in question have been items from relatives and I am just torn. My daughter would just not even be interested in the keeping them if I died so if I am sick of them then what am I keeping them for.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I have a teddy bear from when I was little and I have kept it and moved it with me about 15 times...
    I still have my wedding album too I don't really know what to do with it, its too damn expensive to throw away

Registered
    Sep 1999
    All the books I had as a kid, including dozens of Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, etc.

My dad was an master tile-setter. I have his tile cutter, nips, and numerous trowels. They came in handy when I tiled our first-floor bath (dad would have been a little critical, but I'm satisfied...).

I have also lugged around the Dear John letter from the girl that truly broke my heart.
    Je suis Charlie

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    My dad was an master tile-setter. I have his tile cutter, nips, and numerous trowels. They came in handy when I tiled our first-floor bath (dad would have been a little critical, but I'm satisfied...).

I have also lugged around the Dear John letter from the girl that truly broke my heart.
    I think I still have a letter that a boy wrote me to break up with me in Junior High

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I have a teddy bear from when I was little and I have kept it and moved it with me about 15 times...
    I still have my wedding album too I don't really know what to do with it, its too damn expensive to throw away
    I had a horrible boyfriend during high school thru college. Towards the very end I threw away all pictures from those times. Not just the ones that had him in it, but all of them. It was just a painful and bad time for me.

Now, 10 years later, I regret it. Only if it was just to remind myself of what a butthead he is/was.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    I had a horrible boyfriend during high school thru college. Towards the very end I threw away all pictures from those times. Not just the ones that had him in it, but all of them. It was just a painful and bad time for me.

Now, 10 years later, I regret it. Only if it was just to remind myself of what a butthead he is/was.
    I think thats why I keep the photo album...a reminder of what to NEVER do again

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I have what I thought was a cheap cookie jar from the 70's when I was a kid. Come to find out, its worth over $200.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I go through cycles where I throw just about everything that I have not used in two years away or things I don’t want to save.

Of the things that I want to save is a copy of the Detroit Free Press when the Tigers fired Ernie Harwell, with big letters reading “A Man Wronged” above the picture. I was a big Tigers fan when I was a little kid, and I thought that it was important. Another thing that I noticed that I have is a basic flow plan / sketch for the update for the comprehensive master plan for Washington DC. Funny thing is I was a junior in HS on a band trip to DC when I picked this up. I it would be another 2 years before I knew I wanted to be a planner.
    You get what you give.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I still have the flag that was presented to me by a member of the Marine Corps when we held the graveside services for my father.

On a more pleasant (but somewhat frightening) note.....if fire ever broke out in this Bear's den I would probably die trying to save the following: Katie and her son, my dog, my cats, De Noc (carrying out 400 large maps will probably break my back, easing the pain of the flames), my poetry.

Now I just have to determine the "order"......

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    I still have the flag that was presented to me by a member of the Marine Corps when we held the graveside services for my father.

On a more pleasant (but somewhat frightening) note.....if fire ever broke out in this Bear's den I would probably die trying to save the following: Katie and her son, my dog, my cats, De Noc (carrying out 400 large maps will probably break my back, easing the pain of the flames), my poetry.

Bear

Is there really a question? Katie and son first, animals second, and being a volunteer fire fighter, forget the rest, possesions can be replaced, lives are more difficult.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Bear
    Back up the maps and poetry on the puter, then you onyl have to get Katie and son and animals out

Registered
    Sep 2001
    IOn a more pleasant (but somewhat frightening) note.....if fire ever broke out in this Bear's den I would probably die trying to save the following: Katie and her son, my dog, my cats, De Noc (carrying out 400 large maps will probably break my back, easing the pain of the flames), my poetry.
    With everyone going digital, fireproof map cabinets come up for sale everyonce in awhile at city auctions. you might want to look into one, then no worries, except moving the beast in. They are really heavy and awkward.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

The old Singer sewing machine, complete with the original needle packs.[Any remember Chatham Feed Company in Siler City NC? ] The pack is shaped like a feed bag. Also an old wooden level. Both were my grandfather's. My X had them refinished which removed any collector value but do not try to take them away from me!! Gramp was a master carpenter back when it meant something. Also, the sewing machine was converted from peddle to electric by my grandmother.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Lost job description
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 Feb 2012, 9:46 AM
  2. Lost Mementos
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 21 Sep 2008, 7:52 PM
  3. Lost
    Friday Afternoon Club