Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Old bands that still rock.

Registered
    May 2006

Old bands that still rock.

On Saturday night I had the pleasure of seeing COCK SPARRER. One of the UKs most legendary Oi!/Punk bands who have been going strong since 1972 with a mostly original lineup. They started out as a Glam/Pub Rock band and adopted a Punk sound in 1976 as the movement was breaking out in the UK. None of the members are any younger than 62 and are still very in tune with the British and North American scenes in their old age which I think is absolutely RAD. On stage they have the energy of thirtysomethings and it really is a sight to behold. You can see the pure euphoria in this short video I took of the intro to their most well known single "Take em All" (1982).

What are some older bands you have seen that can still rock?!

Las time I saw RUSH they played a hell of a set even if Geddy Lee can't hit the high notes anymore. I have also had several opportunities to see the Rolling Stones in New York that I passed up since High School, as huge of a Stones fan as I am, I feel that seeing Mick and Keith on stage now would just be embarrassing.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Jimmy Buffett! I think I see some fins to the left!
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I saw the Stones last in 1980. I felt they were a trifle past their prime at that time and I'm pretty sure the stage act has not improved with age over the ensuing 36 years.

I can't think of an fossil acts I've seen recently.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2006
    We have opened for many "old" rock bands. Kansas comes to mind as one who can still really bring it.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm not biased or anything, but I definitely have to say that Aerosmith ranks high up there as far as longevity, consistent touring, same lineup, live energy that would make many bands much younger blush (topped off incredibly by Steven Tyler's on-stage dancing, gyrating, acrobatics, and crowd interaction), and high quality of musical performance suggesting they're still in peak form (yes, Steven Tyler can still hit those high notes...just watch at 3:30 below). Here's a shot from their last North American tour in 2015:

Sadly, they're embarking on a farewell tour. While I expect said tour to continue for many years, who knows how long they'll continue and how many more times they will come around to my area before a) something happens to someone, or b) they actually hang it up...so I'll be seeing them as much as I can.

Other old rock bands that really bring it live include:
    • Alice Cooper - his stage show is still incredible and he has tons of energy; funny how he opened up for Motley Crue on their farewell tour, a band 10 years younger than he is, and he's still going
    • Ted Nugent - if you can see past the politics, which are a huge part of his show; you have to admit, though, not many musicians of any age have as much live energy and passion as he does
    • Bon Jovi - when they still had Richie Sambora, back in 2011 or so - not the same without him now; however, few bands play for as long and with such show-to-show setlist variation; also consistently delivers quality performances and high levels of energy
    • Bruce Springsteen - haven't seen him live, but I heard he's similar to Bon Jovi in epic three-hour-long performances and setlist variation, as well as overall quality of performance and level of energy
    • Guns N' Roses - I was pleasantly surprised to see how tight the band played on their 2016 North American stadium reunion tour, but wish Izzy Stradlin and Steven Adler were part of the reunion; still lots of musical chemistry, excellent performances, and lots of energy from this band; their shows are more predictable setlist-wise these days, but they played pretty much everything of significance and several deep cuts in their 3-hour set
    • Pearl Jam - Finally crossed these guys off the bucket list, and wow! Tons of live energy and excellent raw musical performance. Tons of props to them for mixing up their setlist more than just about any other big band out there and regularly playing for 3 hours. I saw them at a small festival in the mountains this year and they were just incredible. And Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready still jump off-stage to perform in the crowd? Who knew! This band is always full of surprises and can bring someone up on stage or dust off an old gem and play just about anything to keep every show unpredictable and interesting.
    Last edited by illinoisplanner; 01 Dec 2016 at 10:28 AM.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2002
    One of the perks of my part-time gig as a stagehand is that I've seen just about every big act over the last many years. I can tell you that as far as energy and true showmanship and entertainment for the most part it's the older artists and groups that really bring it. Now maybe that is because some of these younger ones don't have a very big catalog yet but I'm always amazed that a current "hot" band will play around 16 songs give or take and the older ones may do as many as 30. McCartney did 36 this summer!

McCartney is still great, maybe the voice isn't where it used to be but again he's just teriffic with the audience and if I'm seeing a live show I want that. If I wanted to hear a perfect song I'd just listen to the studio version. Fleetwood Mac is one group that hasn't impressed me the last few times I've seen them. Mick just can't play anymore. But Stevie Nicks by herself if still excellent. She sounded great a few weeks ago. Sprinsteen is the man, routinely playing in excess of 3 hours. I may have posted this before but early this year I was backstage and Bruce comes walking by all alone about 45 minutes after the show. He was kind of shuffing, limping along looking completely drained. But when he was up on that stage he was getting it and looked so happy doing it. Much respect. Peter Gabriel and Sting were awesome this summer as well. The Who weren't that great either. Roger just can't sing anymore. The effort was there but it was noticeable. When Roger Waters brought The Wall through town in 2010 and 2012 both times it was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in person.

The general rule of thumb is that "the more trucks there are, the lesser the talent". In my experience I'd say that usually holds true and it's the younger artists who have more trucks.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yes!

Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Jimmy Buffett! I think I see some fins to the left!
    Jimmy still has "it" and Mac McAnally (Country music musician of the year 7 times since 2008), of course, doesn't hurt. I saw him in Vegas this October....fun times.

The Cure was still good last summer in LA.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    One of the perks of my part-time gig as a stagehand is that I've seen just about every big act over the last many years. I can tell you that as far as energy and true showmanship and entertainment for the most part it's the older artists and groups that really bring it. Now maybe that is because some of these younger ones don't have a very big catalog yet but I'm always amazed that a current "hot" band will play around 16 songs give or take and the older ones may do as many as 30. McCartney did 36 this summer!

McCartney is still great, maybe the voice isn't where it used to be but again he's just teriffic with the audience and if I'm seeing a live show I want that. If I wanted to hear a perfect song I'd just listen to the studio version. Fleetwood Mac is one group that hasn't impressed me the last few times I've seen them. Mick just can't play anymore. But Stevie Nicks by herself if still excellent. She sounded great a few weeks ago. Sprinsteen is the man, routinely playing in excess of 3 hours. I may have posted this before but early this year I was backstage and Bruce comes walking by all alone about 45 minutes after the show. He was kind of shuffing, limping along looking completely drained. But when he was up on that stage he was getting it and looked so happy doing it. Much respect. Peter Gabriel and Sting were awesome this summer as well. The Who weren't that great either. Roger just can't sing anymore. The effort was there but it was noticeable. When Roger Waters brought The Wall through town in 2010 and 2012 both times it was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in person.

The general rule of thumb is that "the more trucks there are, the lesser the talent". In my experience I'd say that usually holds true and it's the younger artists who have more trucks.
    As much as I dislike McCartney and am a Lennonist, I give him mad props that at 74 he can still put on a hell of a show. He was pretty good at the Sandy Relief concert in 2012, and his fat drummer is so passionate and just adds to the spectacle, I love him! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abe_Laboriel_Jr.

Stevie Nicks still has class at her age, and can put on a great show. She could teach Madonna a thing or two (Madonna should have stopped after "Like a Virgin"). I love Stevie. Ive watched 2015 live Fleetwood Mac videos and it just doesnt do it for me. Ill stick to the Peter Green era blues records and Rumours.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Metallica...oh wait, they should have hung it up over 20 years ago.

Red Hot Chili Peppers. Those guys have been around since the mid-80s and still bring it. Still making great music, too!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Metallica...oh wait, they should have hung it up over 20 years ago.

Red Hot Chili Peppers. Those guys have been around since the mid-80s and still bring it. Still making great music, too!
    I saw Metallica a few times on the Death Magnetic Tour in 2008-09 and thought they were great. However, it didn't seem as raw as it probably would have been in the 80s/early 90s. Still a good show though. What I don't like about Metallica is that they don't tour enough...at least not in North America. Same thing with AC/DC. They only come around every five to seven years and charge insanely high prices when they do. AC/DC was great when I saw them in 2008 but now that like three-fifths of the band is gone, it's probably time to hang it up. Axl did an excellent job filling in, but it's sad to see a band withered away like that.

Definitely need to see the Chili Peppers at some point.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2002
    In the last month I worked the Green Day and RHCP shows. Both were very, very good aside from the fact that I just don't need to be seeing Anthony Kiedis with his shirt off anymore. Got some cool show-used drumsticks with Tre Cool's name on them as well.

Not really looking forward to the Chris Brown show on Sunday but I'm glad to take his money.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    The Atlantic posted an article the other day about how Billy Joel has been selling out shows for the looooongest time!
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Steely Dan, of course

Registered
    May 2002
    Or not.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    Or not.
    I love you anyway, dear

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 03 Sep 2010, 1:26 PM
  2. Popular Bands you Never Liked
    Friday Afternoon Club