Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What's your 'weekday cutoff' price?

Registered
    Feb 2004

What's your 'weekday cutoff' price?

This weekend I used a coupon for $2 off on any bread purchase over $5. I ended up getting a loaf of artisan sourdough that normally cost about $6 for $4. If I had a party or special dinner I might spend more than $5 for a loaf of bread, but just for normal weekday consumption I doubt I'd be willing to pay more than $3.89 for a loaf under normal circumstances - that's my normal cutoff price at the local grocery stores.

I enjoy good beer. Now and then I think it's important to enjoy a bottle of Framboise, Thomas Hardy's, Fin du Monde or some other high quality beer that may cost $9 or more a bottle, but NORMALLY I buy beer in six packs and I'd say my usual weekday cutoff price for a six is maybe $10. More I really can't afford on a regular basis.

Wine? I can't see myself paying more than $14 a bottle on a weekday.

Coffee...first off, I don't buy any frou frou coffee. That means I've never spent a dime at a Starbucks. I might go to a local coffee house now and then and it's possible I might spend $4 for a cup in these circumstances but otherwise I'd put my normal weekday cutoff price on a cup of black coffee at maybe $2.50

What are your weekday cutoff prices? Feel free to add your own categories/purchases.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I think I'm right along the same lines as you. A six pack should be under $10 - adjust for your market. I think I usually pay about $8. Wine should be about $12, but I have no problem with $15. For steaks, we don't eat them often, but we'll go from a cheap cut to something like prime for a special meal. I'll spend a couple extra dollars on crackers for the fancy pita chips or sea salt something over clubhouse crackers on occasion.I don't know the prices though. For anything else I don't buy the name brands or over spend to much even as a special thing. I think for me it's the choices I make in buying special things. I'll buy a Lindt chocolate over Hershey every time, but that's a special buy to begin with.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I don't like to pay over ten for a six pack of beer, but yesterday I paid that for a four pack. Though the ones I got from Urban Chestnut (had it Saint Louis, just came on the market in Chicago) was 500 ml per bottle.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I think I'm right along the same lines as you. A six pack should be under $10 - adjust for your market. I think I usually pay about $8. Wine should be about $12, but I have no problem with $15. For steaks, we don't eat them often, but we'll go from a cheap cut to something like prime for a special meal. I'll spend a couple extra dollars on crackers for the fancy pita chips or sea salt something over clubhouse crackers on occasion.I don't know the prices though. For anything else I don't buy the name brands or over spend to much even as a special thing. I think for me it's the choices I make in buying special things. I'll buy a Lindt chocolate over Hershey every time, but that's a special buy to begin with.
    Since you're something of a cigar aficionado, I'm curious to know what your weekday cutoff prices on cigars are?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Wine - $20
    Bread - $8
    Beer - $12
    Cookies - $3

And my odd weekly purchase:

Cheese - $10 / lb.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Since you're something of a cigar aficionado, I'm curious to know what your weekday cutoff prices on cigars are?
    Depends what you want. My daily smokes are cheap things that cost about $1 a stick. Since most of you don't smoke that much I recommend getting something decent.
    If I want a couple decent sticks I say about $5 a stick, but prices have been going up so more like 6-7.
    If you're celebrating and want something good or I just want a good weekend stick, I go for about $10 a stick, but prices being what they are make it more like 12-15.
    If you're hitting $20+ you need to question the value. Some wines are worth $100 a bottle, some are not but still priced that way.
    When in doubt, just buy a Padron Anniversario and use that as your judgement of a really good cigar. You never go wrong.
    Obviously prices vary state to state depending on taxes. For those going to the conference, I hear Washington is a killer on tobacco taxes so raise the price accordingly.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    For those going to the conference, I hear Washington is a killer on tobacco taxes so raise the price accordingly.
    Just slide into Vancouver and buy Cuban!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Lunch - No more than $7 (unless I'm going out to a sit-down place with co-workers, in which case work usually pays); BWW is an exception - I will sometimes carry out of there on Thursday for about $12
    Coffee - No more than the medium size at DD and no more than the "tall" (the smallest) size at Starbucks; I try to just drink it for free at the office though
    Breakfast food from DD, Panera, Starbucks, or McDs - No more than $5
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Beer - no more than $2.00 per bottle. (I am a beer snob )
    Lunch - I make my own usually but when I do go out $6.00 is the max. When I make my own lunch, I can get it down to $1.18 per serving.
    Coffee - I drink real coffee the way God intended it.. Black, no sugar. Thus $2.50 per 12 Oz cup.
    Bread - About $2.00
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

$2 per day for pop and that's it. I'm a cheap !@#$%^
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    I don't have any. I like good food and I'm willing to spend money on good food. I do have a weekly budget I won't exceed but there's no cutoff price for any particular item.

There are many food items I'd rather pay more for the better quality version than pay less for an inferior version. Coffee is a good example. If the only option is a cheap watery coffee for $1.99, then it's no coffee for me. But if it's $5.00 for an excellent white flat, then I'm happy to pay it. I don't buy cheap processed cheese but will splurge on a nice French cheese every now or then.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It was at Total Wine the other day and it occurred to me how expensive craft beer has gotten by the bottle. I remember in the heady days of microbrews back in the early/mid 1990s growlers and 22ozs were cheap. Growing up in New England we'd could usually get the growler for $7 and return it for the $1.50 deposit.

Now surging demand for craft beer means crazy prices. The new trend now is brewpubs/bars filling growlers (64oz) off tap, with the going rate between $15-20, and choice stuff like double IPAs, belgian, and stout varieties going up to $40 per fill. Crazy that people will pay that much for what amounts to a little over 5 pints of beer.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    It was at Total Wine the other day and it occurred to me how expensive craft beer has gotten by the bottle. I remember in the heady days of microbrews back in the early/mid 1990s growlers and 22ozs were cheap. Growing up in New England we'd could usually get the growler for $7 and return it for the $1.50 deposit.

Now surging demand for craft beer means crazy prices. The new trend now is brewpubs/bars filling growlers (64oz) off tap, with the going rate between $15-20, and choice stuff like double IPAs, belgian, and stout varieties going up to $40 per fill. Crazy that people will pay that much for what amounts to a little over 5 pints of beer.
    I never understood this. It seems like it would be cheaper than buying in bottles but often isn't.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Gas Price Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 820
    Last post: 18 Aug 2015, 4:12 PM
  2. Replies: 176
    Last post: 18 Jan 2007, 5:45 PM
  3. Oh the price of freedom.
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 07 Nov 2003, 11:28 AM